13168Re: instructions for installing macvim

  • Darcy
    Mar 22, 2012
      Just to clarify `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` is different.
      It does not include the -v option. This just creates a link of gvim
      to vim.

      vim='mvim -v'
      alias vim="${vim}"

      The -v option for mvim is to open vim inside a terminal rather than
      opening the usual gui version of macvim. (try it) I like this because
      the vim that comes with OS X is not compiled with as many options as
      mvim. And I like to run vim in a terminal...

      I learned about it here:
      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2056137/how-to-run-mvim-macvim-from-terminal

      Creating the vim environment variable is useful because notice I use
      it for more than just the `alias vim="${vim}". I also use it for
      $EDITOR...

      Darcy