1266Re: vim +perl etc. on OS X

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Jan 16, 2004
      Ken Scott wrote:

      > > Benji Fisher wrote:

      > >> Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave
      > >> that for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume
      > >> there is a reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?
      > >
      > > I do not know why Perl without threads is refused. There is an
      > > explicit configure check for it, thus there must be a good reason.
      > > But perhaps it was only for an old version of Perl? It's also
      > > possible that if_perl.xs is not prepared for threading.
      > >
      > > You could edit src/auto/configure, search for "usethreads" and insert
      > > this below the "eval" command:
      > >
      > > usethreads=undef
      > >
      > > Look out or compile errors and warnings in if_perl.c.
      >
      > I did this; the only warning I saw was a warning for an unused
      > variable. At the end, near the ld steps, I was getting a message that
      > /usr/local/lib does not exist, but I do not think that harmed anything.
      >
      > I ran the Vim.app that was created. It shows +perl, and I am able to
      > run :perl VIM::Msg("This is from Perl in Vim") and get the message
      > displayed. I think this means that the perl interface is working on
      > some very basic level. I do not have the expertise to test this more
      > fully.
      >
      > I am now playing in the auto/configure script to see if the Tcl support
      > can be turned on. It was not finding the includes; I am trying to get
      > the include from /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers to be
      > recognized.
      >
      > Onward and upwards...

      The patch that added the configure check for threads is 6.1.438, made by
      Aron Griffis. I'll include him in the copy list.

      Aron, can you tell us how to test that a threaded Perl will break?
      Could this depend on the Perl version somehow? Perhaps the Perl on Mac
      OSX 10.3 does work.

      --
      Not too long ago, cut and paste was done with scissors and glue...