1264Re: vim +perl etc. on OS X

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Jan 16, 2004
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:07:32AM -0700, Ken Scott wrote:
      > >
      > > On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
      > >
      > > >[snip]
      > >
      > > >That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
      > > >what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has
      > > >the GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or
      > > >maybe.. Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?
      > > >

      > > If someone can talk me through modifying the configure script, I'll try
      > > building it to accept the threaded perl, and see if it can do basic
      > > things or not.
      >
      > Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave that
      > for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume there is a
      > reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?

      I do not know why Perl without threads is refused. There is an explicit
      configure check for it, thus there must be a good reason. But perhaps
      it was only for an old version of Perl? It's also possible that
      if_perl.xs is not prepared for threading.

      You could edit src/auto/configure, search for "usethreads" and insert
      this below the "eval" command:

      usethreads=undef

      Look out or compile errors and warnings in if_perl.c.

      --
      "Never be afraid to tell the world who you are."
      -- Anonymous