1256Re: vim +perl etc. on OS X

  • Bob Ippolito
    Jan 14, 2004
      On Jan 14, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:11:47AM -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:

      >>> I would expect this version to have problems on 10.2 because of
      >>> the Python libraries, but I suppose this is also a problem. Yes,
      >>> 10.3 seems to come with libiconv.dylib :
      >>
      >> Among other things. It's pretty hard to build something +python that
      >> works on 10.2 and 10.3 without actually including Python itself (which
      >> is possible and actually pretty easy since Python is a framework).
      >
      > Should we move in this direction? That is, should we make the
      > binary distribution for OS X as portable as possible? It would be
      > simpler to have two versions (one huge, including the python, perl, ...
      > libraries that it uses, one with no support for python, perl, etc.)
      > than
      > to have one version for 10.1, one for 10.2, one for 10.3, ...

      I think that this route is good for Mac OS users, to embed the
      scripting languages. It wouldn't be quite as problematic if Apple
      didn't make so many sensible improvements to Darwin every major release
      :) Perhaps there should be 3 releases:
      1) Includes scripting langauges, compatible with 10.1 (10.2 possibly)
      2) No scripting languages, compatible with 10.1
      3) Includes scripting language support, but not the scripting
      languages themselves (latest OS version only, 10.3 right now).

      I would personally pick the 3rd because I keep up with Apple's releases
      and because I know it'll be linked to the latest and greatest (like
      iconv).

      > When trying to compile with +perl, configure complains that it
      > will
      > not use a threaded version of perl. (This is on 10.3.) My guess is
      > that including the perl libraries is the only way to distribute a
      > version of Vim.app that works with perl on 10.3.

      That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
      what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has the
      GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or maybe..
      Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?

      -bob
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic