1252Re: new vim binary for OS X: +transparency +antialias +python

    Jan 14, 2004
      On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:10:34AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Benji Fisher wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks to Ken Scott, there is a new binary of Vim.app available at
      > > http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Downloading
      > > Since it was compiled with Python support, it will probably run only on
      > > OS X 10.3 (Panther), unless you install the Python 2.3 libraries.
      >
      > I tried it on 10.2 (still don't have 10.3) and got this error message:
      >
      > dyld: Vim can't open library: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
      >
      > Is that a new library in 10.3?
      >
      > The Mac OS/X support is high on the voting list, thus I should probably
      > do some work on it myself...

      I would expect this version to have problems on 10.2 because of the
      Python libraries, but I suppose this is also a problem. Yes, 10.3 seems
      to come with libiconv.dylib :

      % ls -l /usr/lib/*iconv*
      lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 16 26 Oct 14:25 /usr/lib/libiconv.2.2.0.dylib -> libiconv.2.dylib
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 987440 6 Jan 21:18 /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
      lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 20 26 Oct 14:25 /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib -> libiconv.2.2.0.dylib
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 786 12 Sep 16:59 /usr/lib/libiconv.la

      Should configure be looking for the symlink libiconv.dylib instead of
      the real library?

      The good news is that, on OS X 10.3, vim compiles with +iconv .
      How should I test this? Does this solve the #1 complaint with the OS X
      Carbon version? I am not sure how to test this, since I am happy with
      7-bit ASCII, lucky Anglophone that I am. I tried to describe the
      problem on the web site as follows:

      Encoding is not always recognized (e.g. :set
      fileencoding=latin1), resulting in MacRoman output instead of
      the specified encoding.

      Can someone describe an explicit test for this?

      We should have a new binary for 10.2 soon. Any volunteers for
      10.0/10.1?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic