123mac vim tip: changing directories

    Oct 16, 2000
      The most recent version of vim for the Mac includes a file macvimrc
      based on one I wrote. In particular, there are a couple of lines

      let HOME = 'Macintosh HD:Desktop Folder:Documents:Benji'
      let Desktop = 'Macintosh HD:Desktop Folder'

      which you should probably edit before using. If you decide to use
      these, you have to remember that these are vim variables, not
      environment variables. Since you do not want to go around typing

      :execute "cd" HOME

      I recommend the following vim command:

      " Since environment variables are not allowed on the Mac, the following
      " lines allow us to do
      " :CD HOME
      " :CD Desktop
      command! -nargs=1 -complete=var CD execute "cd" <args>

      Because of the completion, you may be able to type "D<Tab>" instead of "Desktop".

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic