1228Successful ViM 6.2 w/Python 2.3 support under Panther
- Dec 3, 2003Hello all, I have been conversing with Benji about this and I've now
done it twice under Panther. Not all of my steps may be required. I am
not a ViM developer so I am not sure why many have trouble with this.
1. PowerBook G4 550Mhz TiBook w/1GB of RAM.
2. PowerMac G4 Dual 1Ghz MDD w/1.25GB of RAM.
Both systems were cleanly installed with Panther. i.e. no archive
install nor upgrade. I manually restored my data from backup. Both
systems have the full developer tools installed w/X11. Both systems
have all the latest patches for 10.3. Not running Fink (yet) and
systems are rather clean, no haxies nor extensive modifications were
Steps to duplicate: (not all may be required - most are desired Python
1. Install MacPython patch from
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/ Nov 7th 2003 latest update.
2. Install Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 from http://tcl.sf.net filename
3. Run Python Package Manager from
4. Install Documentation-2.3-binary, readline-2.3-binary,
readline-2.3-source, PIL-1.1.4-source, _tkinter-2.3-binary (requires
Tcl/Tk to already be installed), IDLE-2.3-binary.
5. Test Tkinter by running IDLE, Pynche, etc.
6. Follow Benji's instructions http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Compiling
7. Get the CVS ViM, patch it, apply custom patches (I applied the
8. Rather then edit the MakeFile, I passed only ./configure
9. make, make test, sudo make install (sudo's probably not required as
output in build working src directory).
Tested Python support by running ':help python' selecting
[python-commands] and executing the following:
(first, have a lowercase text line on the current buffer)
:python from vim import *
:python from string import upper
:python current.line = upper(current.line)
If it converts your lowercase text to uppercase in the current line of
the buffer then it's working.
Good Luck, hopefully someone can figure out the problems that folks
have experienced. I did not have a problem but then again, I started
out clean with Panther when I noticed many developers having upgrade
problems. I am a SysAdmin not a programmer, I dabble in development
but I am by no means an expert and I have just as many troubles with
OSX linking as others...
I don't know about Ruby nor Perl, but suspect they both need to have
some updates performed as Apple didn't include everything and is
probably missing some headers, etc.
- Next post in topic >>