1228Successful ViM 6.2 w/Python 2.3 support under Panther

  • Matthew Stott
    Dec 3, 2003
      Hello all, I have been conversing with Benji about this and I've now
      done it twice under Panther. Not all of my steps may be required. I am
      not a ViM developer so I am not sure why many have trouble with this.

      1. PowerBook G4 550Mhz TiBook w/1GB of RAM.
      2. PowerMac G4 Dual 1Ghz MDD w/1.25GB of RAM.

      Both systems were cleanly installed with Panther. i.e. no archive
      install nor upgrade. I manually restored my data from backup. Both
      systems have the full developer tools installed w/X11. Both systems
      have all the latest patches for 10.3. Not running Fink (yet) and
      systems are rather clean, no haxies nor extensive modifications were

      Steps to duplicate: (not all may be required - most are desired Python

      1. Install MacPython patch from
      http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/ Nov 7th 2003 latest update.
      2. Install Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 from http://tcl.sf.net filename
      3. Run Python Package Manager from
      4. Install Documentation-2.3-binary, readline-2.3-binary,
      readline-2.3-source, PIL-1.1.4-source, _tkinter-2.3-binary (requires
      Tcl/Tk to already be installed), IDLE-2.3-binary.
      5. Test Tkinter by running IDLE, Pynche, etc.
      6. Follow Benji's instructions http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Compiling
      7. Get the CVS ViM, patch it, apply custom patches (I applied the
      8. Rather then edit the MakeFile, I passed only ./configure
      --with-features=huge --enable-pythoninterp
      9. make, make test, sudo make install (sudo's probably not required as
      output in build working src directory).

      Tested Python support by running ':help python' selecting
      [python-commands] and executing the following:
      (first, have a lowercase text line on the current buffer)

      :python from vim import *
      :python from string import upper
      :python current.line = upper(current.line)

      If it converts your lowercase text to uppercase in the current line of
      the buffer then it's working.

      Good Luck, hopefully someone can figure out the problems that folks
      have experienced. I did not have a problem but then again, I started
      out clean with Panther when I noticed many developers having upgrade
      problems. I am a SysAdmin not a programmer, I dabble in development
      but I am by no means an expert and I have just as many troubles with
      OSX linking as others...

      I don't know about Ruby nor Perl, but suspect they both need to have
      some updates performed as Apple didn't include everything and is
      probably missing some headers, etc.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic