12222Re: Blurred background

    Apr 2, 2011
      On 2 April 2011 11:49, Ben Schmidt wrote:
      > On 2/04/11 7:07 PM, björn wrote:
      >>
      >> On 1 April 2011 19:29, Tom wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Is it more or less easy to add an option to blur the transparent
      >>> background like in OS X native (Dock Stacks) and other Cocoa (iTerm)
      >>> aps?
      >>> It would more fit to the 10.6+ GUI.
      >>
      >> I don't know how this is done.  If its not a major addition I'd accept
      >> a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.
      >
      > I don't know what this blurring is exactly, but on the surface I don't like
      > the idea. If I make my window transparent, it's because I'm trying to look
      > at something behind it, and having it blurred would be tremendously
      > unhelpful.

      Maybe I should have been clearer: I don't think replacing the current
      transparency with a blurred background would be a good idea because I
      am guessing most people would agree with Ben on this issue (myself
      included). (To be honest, I'm not a big fan of transparent
      backgrounds as it is, although I do have "au FocusLost * set
      transp=10" and "au FocusGained * set transp=0" in my gvimrc.)

      However, if somebody wants to write a patch which optionally enables
      such a feature and if sufficiently many people want the patch merged
      and finally if it is a "simple" patch, then I will consider merging
      it.

      In my mind this type of feature is a little bit too much in the
      direction of the suggestion of being able to set a background picture,
      so its not exactly on the top of my most wanted additions. (I'm of
      course open to arguments to convince me otherwise.)