11945Re: Compiling MacVim

  • dacresni
    Nov 11, 2010
      On Nov 8, 8:00 am, gsieranski <gpsieran...@...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      > I recently switched to OS X Snow Leopard from Fedora and was wondering
      > about building MacVim. According to the GitHub build instructions you
      > do the normal process of ".configure", "make". It does not mention
      > anything thing about "make install". Do I need to run this? Also if I
      > pull some updates down from git do I need to run "make uninstall" and
      > then rebuild the latest changes or can I just build the latest git
      > pull on top of what is already there? The other question I had is I do
      > not see any mention of "mvim" what is the best way to have access to
      > this. Should I create a ~/bin dir and use a symlink to the mvim that
      > is built when I compile MacVim?
      >
      > I appreciate any help,
      > Greg

      The Build instructions from the github wiki clearly state
      " To install MacVim, type

      $ open MacVim/build/Release

      and drag the MacVim icon into your Applications folder."
      Sense you are a linux user, here are some tips you may not know

      Mac apps aren't uninstalled persay. They don't leave a lot of state
      information laying around so you generally remove mac apps by dumping
      them in the trash. The only other state a well behaved mac app leaves
      is in /Library/Application Support and the equivilent directory in
      your Home folder.
      ~/bin is in your path i think, even if the directory is not created so
      creating one an putting the file, mvim, from the Releases folder is a
      good idea. Otherwise, the actual executable of a mac app is in $
      (appname)/Contents/MacOS/$(appname). Mac OS filesystem (HFS+)
      identifies folders as viable targets for mime types and looks at their
      extension to know what to do to open them. In the case of an
      application, the folder ends in .app so the finder executes the proper
      file and the command 'open', not to be confused with the linux command
      of the same name, will also execute the appropriate file. Man 'open'
      on Mac to see the command. Another example of this file type is
      the.xcodeproj extension. These folders are called bundles.