11774Re: gestures

    Sep 3, 2010
      On 3 September 2010 16:33, David Patrick Henderson
      <dp.chaoswerks@...> wrote:
      > I have to question the use of gesture input in a text editor. What is the purpose and how does it improve user interaction/experience? Other than swiping to change buffers or tabs, there is no seeming natural fit for gestures that make sense. So the question is, other than coolness how does this interaction improve the user's experience with vim? I, for one, am not at all certain how gestures would improve or increase my productivity in vim. Let us not forget the purpose of vim is as an editor of text, so I ask, do gestures in fact bring an improvement to editing in vim or are they a feature for feature's sake?

      I agree: the rotate/pinch gestures do not make much sense and I am
      leaning towards deprecating them (partly also because they generate
      input events continuously as you move your fingers which is not good
      for key mappings). I only included these in the patch so that people
      could try it out and give me some feedback.

      As for the swipe gesture: as soon as there is some kind of hyperlink
      system I expect to be able to swipe left/right to go back/forward. I
      think this makes for a perfect fit for navigating Vim's help.