1170Re: Eliminating StuffIt from the OS X build process (was Re: Panther gVim)

  • Eric Y. Kow
    Oct 25, 2003
      Folks,

      Thanks for the discussion. It's been educational.

      On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 15:48:02 -0700, dan sandler dsandler-at-dsandler.org |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
      > Another downside: anything I find in a header file delimited by #ifdef
      > __APPLE_API_PRIVATE sort of gives me the creeps. It doesn't seem to

      As a matter of personal taste, I'd avoid this kind of stuff.

      > Suggestion 2: use DeRez/Rez, part of the OS X developer tools
      > Usage: once you have a gui_mac.rsrc you like, use DeRez to create a
      > gui_mac_static.r (since gui_mac.r already exists to include dynamic
      > stuff like VIM_VERSION_*) and check the new .r file into CVS. Use
      > $REZ from the Makefile to reconstitute gui_mac.rsrc when needed.

      I like this approach much better! Especially now that it has been
      blessed by somebody who presumably has clue what's going on :-)

      Is deRez'ing gui_mac.rsrc basically equivilant to de-compiling it?
      If so, would it be too onerous to re-write gui_mac_static.r by hand, or
      find the guy that wrote the original? If we're going to have some kind
      of source around, it might as well be readable, eh?

      --
      Eric Kow http://www.loria.fr/~kow
      PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9 Merci de corriger mon fran├žais.