1161Re: Panther gVim

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Oct 23, 2003
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > First problem:
      >
      > % ./Vim
      > :gui
      >
      > does not work. A gVim window opens, but the Terminal keeps focus and
      > still shows the vim window. Keyboard input goes to the Terminal window
      > and vim commands do not affect either window. I have to ctrl-z (or
      > switch to another Terminal window) and kill the process.

      Did this ever work for a Carbon version? I thought ":gui" only worked
      for X-Windows versions (Motif, GTK).

      I now tried ":gui" with the new version you uploaded. It works, but Vim
      doesn't fork, thus the terminal doesn't go back to the shell. I think
      the forking was disabled in the past. Perhaps it does work in this
      Carbon version now.

      > Second problem (minor):
      >
      > The first time I tried 'make install', Stuffit Expander was too
      > slow. I got a helpful message, but it was just barely visible in the
      > Terminal window. I suggest moving the lines
      >
      > @echo
      > @echo "--------------------"
      > @echo "If this fails, run make install again after StuffIt Expander quits."
      > @echo "--------------------"
      > @echo
      >
      > to the 'install_macosx' target, or maybe the 'bundle-rsrc' target.

      Can't we add a small shell script that hangs around until the files that
      are to be unpacked exist?

      while test ! -f some_file; do
      sleep 1
      done

      > Third problem:
      >
      > I tried enabling perl, python, ruby, and tcl (why not?) in the
      > Makefile. I get warnings about precompiled headers, which I have long
      > gnored, and also

      Those precompiled header warnings are irritating, especially since I
      can't find a way to recompile the headers...

      > gcc: unrecognized option '-pthread'
      >
      > and then ruby.c does not compile. Removing Ruby, I still get the gcc
      > warning above and then a problem in linking:
      >
      > ld: can't locate file for: -ldl

      This is probably caused by one of the configure checks that include
      specific compile arguments. This is tricky, but there is no other way
      to obtain those compiler arguments. The configure checks could be made
      more robust. A language should be disabled when compiling/linking fails
      after adding compiler flags for the language.

      > Other things work well: 'make test' runs smoothly, and I can drag
      > a file icon onto the Vim icon in the Dock. I think I will not have time
      > today to try Perl, Python, Tcl, and Ruby separately, but I will try to
      > get one or two working binaries uploaded before I quit for the day.

      I'm glad we are making progress. And I haven't heard serious problems
      with the new way of producing the Carbon version, this seems to be the
      right way to go.

      --
      Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.