1157Re: Panther gVim

    Oct 21, 2003
      On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:35:34PM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
      > * Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-10-21T13:59:05]
      > > On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:59:00AM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
      > > > I compiled gVim (Vim.app) from CVS on Panther just a few days ago. I've
      > > > attached the output of :ver
      > >
      > > I am glad to hear it works OOTB. From your :version output, it looks
      > > as though you included Normal features; I usually compile Huge
      > > versions. The first report is that my version with -perl -python
      > > (compiled on Jaguar) also works on Panther, so we can stick with that
      > > for now. If you (or any other volunteer) can compile a version with
      > > +perl (and maybe also +python) that runs on Panther, I will be happy
      > > to post it at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ .
      >
      > It compiled with huge features with no complaints. --enable-perlinterp
      > did not work and I don't use Perl in Vim, so I'm not sure where to begin
      > dealing with it.

      I cannot help there.

      > Another nice thing would be for `vim` to open the same binary as
      > Vim.app; I don't know enough about MacOS to know whether that's
      > possible.

      You could make /usr/bin/vim a symbolic link to the executable in
      Vim.app . For example, if you keep Vim.app in /Applications , then

      % sudo ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim /usr/bin/vim

      ought to do it. If you want to get rid of the old binary (and runtime
      files) you should also do the same with /usr/bin/vi . See the FAQ's at

      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/

      for similar suggestions.

      Of course, this will create problems with updating. What happens
      to those symbolic links if Apple decides to update the system vi[m] as
      part of Software Update 10.3.1.17 ?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic