11549Re: Copy after vim line folding loses newlines

    Jul 17, 2010
      On 16 July 2010 21:56, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
      > Using Vim in a Terminal window, when I perform line folding on a text
      > file containing long lines, then select and copy the text (i.e. use a
      > normal Mac OS X mouse drag selection followed by Command-C), some
      > newlines are lost in the copy!  Is there a way to fix this?
      >
      > I created a short 24 second screen video showing this behavior at
      >
      >  http://www.imca.aps.anl.gov/~jlmuir/tmp/vim-terminal.mov
      >
      > Here's how to reproduce the problem:
      >
      > 1. Edit the attached genesis-kjv.txt with Vim (/usr/bin/vim) in a
      >   Terminal window
      >
      > 2. Fold the lines to be no longer than 70 characters by typing the
      >   following commands (<return> means press the Return key):
      >
      >   :set tw=70<return>
      >   gq
      >
      > 3. Select with the mouse the two paragraphs starting at the top left and
      >   dragging to the end of the last sentence of the second paragraph
      >
      > 4. Press Command-C to copy the text
      >
      > 5. Open a second Terminal window (Command-N) and start a new Vim session
      >
      > 6. In Vim in this second Terminal window, enter Insert mode by typing
      >   the following command:

      > 7. In this second Terminal window, press Command-V to paste the copied
      >   text
      >
      > Expected Result:
      >
      > I expected to see what I copied (thirteen lines making up the two
      > paragraphs with a blank line in between) pasted into the second Terminal
      > window.
      >
      > Actual Result:
      >
      > I get four lines with many of the newlines having been lost.  The
      > attached genesis-kjv-result.txt shows this.
      >
      > Environment:
      >
      > I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Intel) and Vim 7.2.108 (which comes with
      > Mac OS X at /usr/bin/vim).
      >
      > Other comments:
      >
      > I tried this with Vim 7.2.444 installed via MacPorts and had the same
      > problem.  I tried this with iTerm 0.10 and had the same problem.  I
      > tried this with MacVim <http://code.google.com/p/macvim/> 7.2 stable 1.2
      > and it worked fine.

      A patch to (properly) support copy&paste in console Vim on OS X was
      merged with the 7.3 branch only days ago. You can download and build
      from source (using hg [1] or git [2]) or wait for 7.3 to be released.
      (When you try it out, note that you have to use "*y and "*p to
      copy&paste.)

      Björn

      [1] http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
      [2] http://wiki.github.com/b4winckler/vim/