11519Re: Accidentally pasting in Command Line mode

  • Andy Block
    Jul 4 4:26 AM
      On Jul 4, 2010, at 12:58 PM, björn wrote:

      > On 3 July 2010 21:25, Andy wrote:
      >>
      >> I have one major annoyance with MacVim, which I'm surprised I can't
      >> find anyone else mentioning. Specifically, on a semi-regular basis, I
      >> copy a large amount of text from, e.g., a terminal session, switch to
      >> vim, paste it, and - bang! I discover I was in command line mode and
      >> as a result I am in for a long wait.
      > Ouch! I was not aware of this problem. Fortunately there is an easy
      > fix: use Cmd-. instead of Ctrl-C to interrupt.

      Hi again,

      It just occurred to me that the reason this does not bite me in terminal vim is that pasting there results in the first pasted line being interpreted as a command, then the remaining lines get interpreted in normal mode, where they are swiftly interpreted and can easily be undone. In the GUI, however, the line separators get pasted as 'literal' ^M s on the command line, resulting in one huge command line. Furthermore, even if I take an equivalent amount os text but join all the lines onto a single line, and then cut and paste that onto a terminal command line, the paste is complete in a matter of less than a second (when using a buffer that takes over two minutes to paste into the GUI version). This suggests two other possible mitigating actions:

      1. Make the behaviour for '^M' the same as the terminal version
      2. Speed up the insertion of characters on the command line so they don't need interrupting :-)

      In any case, thanks again for this and all your hard work on MacVim. It is a fantastic piece of software :-) . Regards,

      Andy