10998Re: Problems with some simbols in MacVim

  • Pablo Giménez
    Nov 12, 2009
      2009/11/11 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>

      Hi Pablo,

      My replies are a little out of order, I hope you can cope.

      2009/11/11 Pablo Giménez:
      > Just checking seems that in the Mac the spanish keyboard layout is in using
      > the latin encoding rather than unicode. I don't know if this can cause the
      > problem.

      All input that reaches MacVim is Unicode (UTF-16)

      >> > Just checking, now is printing characters but not the proper ones.
      >> > In the spanish layout you have  to press Option(Alt)+3 to get the  #
      >> > symbol.

      No, you have to press Shift+3 to get # using Spanish layout.
      Sorry Bjorn but in the Spanish layout # is Option+3, I am sure, uou you can see it in the keyboard viewer and I type it everyday :)
      If I open the vim shipped with MacOSX from terminal, it recognizes the Option+3 as the # character. So this only affects MacVim.
       But ... after some testing I realized that the problem is that I am using set macmeta, to use some keymaps with the M modifier.
      This seems to cause that MacVim is not passing the Option(alt) modifier properly for some key combinations, like the Option+3.
      Without macmeta the keyboard works perfectly, but I need the macmeta :)

      Just open up "Keyboard Viewer" and you can see where all the keys are
      (go to "Input Sources" in the "Language & Text" System Preference
      pane, click "Show Input menu in menu bar", and in the list view tick
      the "Keyboard & Character Viewer" item at the top, then you can open
      the keyboard viewer from the language menu that sits next to the clock
      on the menu bar).

      This option is forcibly set to utf-8 anyway and is ignored, so you
      don't have to set it.

      I don't understand the problem.  Please be more specific (step-by-step
      instructions).

      No, that does not sound related.

      No, there is no limitation that I am aware of.

      No, still waiting for a patch. (hint, hint)

      Un saludo
      Best Regards
      Pablo Giménez