10854Re: Simplified build procedure for MacVim

  • Tyson Roberts
    Oct 3, 2009
      From what I understand, the 32 bit kernel should not affect anything, really.  None of the stuff that touches external apps (including 64 bit libraries/apps) is affected by whether the kernel is running in 32/64 bit.  The 32 bit kernel supports 64 bit apps without change.

      Also, it's not just the MBs that are affected - almost all models (with the exception of some of their servers) boot into 32 bit kernel by default, mostly out of respect for the fact that most 3rd parties haven't written 64 bit drivers yet.

      Tyson

      > > By the way, i don't know if this affects anything (probably not), but
      > > i am running the Snow Leopard kernel in 32bit mode.
      >
      > I guess you could try starting in 64 bit mode and see if it makes any
      > difference...?
      >
      > I'm afraid I don't know what the problem is: lets hope Nico has an idea...Nico?
      >
      > Björn

      I tried to boot in 64bit mode, but i could not get it working.
      From what i've read, it seems that apple decided to prevent macbooks
      (not pros) from booting into 64bit mode.