Youth Combat at Events

  • kendrick_the_tinker
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2013
      I am cross posting this from the Midrealm group on Facebook.

      To this I will add that, as the Regional Youth Marshal, I know who we have around the region available as marshals.  If you want to host youth combat and need a marshal please contact me  ( jervamp [at] yahoo... ) or Kendrick@.. Midrealm.org  I will do what I can to find a marshal for your event.

      Greetings unto the most Noble populous of the Midrealm,

      While I am the Youth Marshal over a single region I come to you with words that affect our entire kingdom. I have personally been on the receiving end, and heard from marshals more instances, of an action that strikes me as very short sighted; namely limiting youth combat to painfully small sections of time such as during the lunch breaks of the adult fighters. Youth combat at events (at least in the regions I frequent) has been much less frequent than it once was. This in part due to many of our combatants graduating to the heavy field, but only in part.

      New policies and some changes have not made putting a youth on the field easier, but that difficulty is compounded exponentially when the youth list is only open for an hour or two of the event day. There are very few of us that cannot say that they have been touched by the youth combat program. By having our youth in the program, by standing shoulder to shoulder with a former youth fighter on the field, or in some areas by having a graduate of the program on the throne.

      Our children are the future of the Society. I beg you to, as you plan your event, think of whether you would limit the heavy/rapier fighters, or merchants to a one or two hour time period of the day. Only by showing the youth that we value their time will we generate more participation not only in youth combat, but by the youth in other areas of the Society as well.

      In service,

      THL Kendrick Cameron

      Midlands Regional Youth Marshal