OT: Micel Folcland Hearth Night

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2007
      Micel Folcland--the Wisconsin-Indiana-Illinois branch of Regia
      Anglorum--would like to invite any serious student of British culture
      between 950 and 1066 ce--predominantly but not exclusively Norse, Saxon and
      Norman reenactors--to Hearth Night II on 26-28 October near Danville,
      Illinois. No fee, and no accurate costume is required. It is a training
      session where we will concentrate on rebated steel combat, target archery,
      natural dyeing, firestarting, games and much else.

      Featured will be period cooking with period ingredients and accurate
      utensils, over an open fire. The cooks want to know how much to prepare and
      who wants to help. Please let us know. There will be a small charge to
      cover foods purchased.

      More information available at
      http://www.advancenet.net/folo/micel_folcland_hearth_night_ii.htm. Feel
      free to contact me with questions or to make a reservation for lunch.

      THIS IS NOT AN SCA EVENT!

      Cheers, Folo Watkins
      www.micelfolcland.org
    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2009
        Micel Folcland, Inc., will hold its winter hearth night on Saturday,
        24 January and wants to invite anyone interested in the British
        pre-Conquest era or in true living history. It will be held at the
        house of AO Karen Bergquist at 1364 Willow Road, Homewood, IL
        60430-3435. The group concentrates on Anglo-Scandinavian culture
        during the start of the eleventh century.

        It is scheduled to start about 9:30 am. We expect this to go until
        around 9 pm. It is free, and costume is not required.

        We expect a lot of new and potential members will already be showing
        up. We hope to work on sewing and costuming, getting new members
        inspected and helping them with their kit, discussing our proposed
        manifesto (inspired by the ACW Campaigner's manifesto and the AWI
        Progressive manifesto to explain what our goals and ethics are),
        discussing our 2009 season, practicing for the stage presentation at
        Reeneactorfest and anything else people need to do. If it's good
        weather, Karen says that we can drill, fight or do archery in her
        back yard. Karen notes that cooks can experiment on new recipes in the kitchen.

        I will be bringing videos from England and copies of the various
        files I've downloaded from archaeological magazines.

        If you have any more questions or suggestions, let us know. Hope to
        see a bunch of people there! If Scadians cannot make it, we hope that
        they will stop by our table at Reenactor Fest (www.reenactorfest.com)
        on 6-78 February in Wheeling, Illinois.

        Cheers, Folo
        www.micelfolcland.org