Mid-Realm Bardic Madness Challenges

  • cerian_cantwr
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
      Mid-Realm Bardic Madness VIII – The Song of the Sea

      Greetings and welcome are bid to all Bards, Troubadors, Trouveres,
      Minstrels, Minnesingers, Jongleurs, Singers, Storytellers, Poets,
      Scops, Skalds, Fillids, Olaves, Griots, Wordsmiths, and Friends of
      these arts. Also Musicians, Dancers, Jugglers, Magicians, and Players
      as well.

      This year's Bardic Madness will take place on November 11th, 2006.
      Our hosts will be the Barony of Brendoken (the event takes place near
      Wooster, OH). Many thanks go to all of them for their hospitality in
      helping the bardic community out this year. Our theme will be the sea
      and all that lies within it.

      The purpose of today's challenges is to encourage the participants'
      creativity and artistic growth. They are not meant to be
      competitions - everyone who takes part can consider themselves a
      winner.

      Your response to the various challenges may be in many different
      forms. Song or story are the most obvious choices; however juggling,
      magic, instrumental, or dance can also express an idea or tell a
      tale. All of these could be used to answer a given challenge (though
      perhaps not all at the same time :-) . Our desire here is to be
      inclusive rather than exclusive. If you have something to share that
      doesn't quite fit or that stretches the definitions a little, then
      fire away.

      It is our wish to create a "bardic safe zone" - a friendly place
      where you may feel free to experiment and try new things. If you've
      never performed before, now's your chance. You'll be hard pressed to
      find a friendlier and more supportive audience. We would be
      delighted to see lots of first time performers.

      Please remember, in order to make sure as many gentles get a chance
      to perform as possible, we ask that you limit your performances so
      that they run less than five minutes.

      For more event information, see the website at
      http://tilted-windmill.com/bms8/ Additional information will be
      posted there as it becomes available.

      For questions about the days bardic activities (challenges, teaching
      a class, participating in the concert, or serving as a patron),
      please contact the provost:
      Cerian Cantwr
      630-272-8514
      cerian@...

      For questions about the site and logistics, please contact the
      autocrat:
      Sofia Tyzes
      216-548-4747
      karoline@...

      The Challenges

      Fyt the First:

      Pass the Tale:
      All those who wish to participate get up together, and tell a tale
      from beginning to end. The challenge's patron will 'conduct' by
      pointing to the person whose turn it is to continue the tale, and
      deciding when it is time to end.

      Here There Be Dragons:
      Sailing off into the unknown was a chancy business. No one knew what
      waited in the blank corners of the map. Tell us of such a journey,
      real or metaphorical, and what was found along the way.

      Death, Doom, and Gloom:
      This song isn't from Calontir. A surprisingly large percentage of
      sea songs end badly for their participants. Cheer us all, well… down
      with a song or tale of something soggy and grim.

      2nd fyt:

      Stir Fry:
      Given a list of words, do something artistic with them.

      Why Wait for Willy:
      Many women waited for years at a time while their lover (usually
      named Willy) went to sea. It seldom worked out well. Let us know
      about one of these difficult relationships. How did it work out, why
      was the lady willing to wait so long, or how come the guy is always
      named Willy anyway?

      Arrrrrrrr:
      By the bleary bloodshot eye o' Bluebeard! What be a day 'bout the
      sea without mention o' them merry buccaneers o' the deep – the
      pirates? Stand to, and give o'er wi' pirate song or story, lest ye
      be made ter walk the plank!

      3rd fyt:

      A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words:
      Members of the populace will draw pictures for this challenge based
      on the theme: things found in the sea (feel free to define this
      broadly). Participants will pull both a drawing and a song out of a
      hat just before the challenge starts. Write two verses and a chorus
      about the picture using the tune.

      It Came from the Deep:
      The sea is said to be the home of many monstrous creatures: sirens,
      sea serpents, and krakens among them. Tell us of one of these
      legendary creatures or an encounter with one.

      Period Piece:
      Perform a documentably period piece of music, story, or song (poetry,
      prose, and so forth are good too). Dig out those reference books,
      blow off the dust (try not to sneeze), and see what wonderful and
      magical treasures you can find in them. There is a staggering amount
      of fantastic material out there. Find something, be it silly or
      sublime, and amaze us with it.

      4th fyt:

      Scrimshaw Carving:
      Given a piece of material (perhaps from the great white whale, Moby
      Dial), some tools, and a subject; carve an image and compose a text
      based on it. This may be done individually or as a team.

      Rondeau Roundabout:
      The rondeau is a French poetic form dating back to the thirteenth
      century. It consists of thirteen eight syllable lines and two
      repeated four syllable refrains. These fifteen lines contain are
      broken into three stanzas and contain only three rhymes. The rhyme
      scheme is as follows:

      Stanza 1: A A B B A (5 lines of eight syllables)
      Stanza 2: A A B C (3 lines of eight syllables,
      plus the 4 syllable refrain)
      Stanza 3: A A B B A C (5 lines of eight syllables,
      plus the 4 syllable refrain)

      So, how does this all work in practice? Something like this:

      A Attend and I will tell to you,
      A Of how to write a rondeau true.
      B Use thirteen lines that hold eight feet -
      B Plus two of four, that do repeat.
      A Where, but three rhymes make their debut.

      A Split into stanzas, that are few,
      A Five lines in one and four in two -
      B Plus six in three. It's now complete.
      C Our Rondeau's done.

      A The `A' rhyme you will eight times view.
      A The `B', but five times will accrue.
      B The `C' you will but two times meet,
      B Identical in ev'ry beat.
      A Our poem is done and so we're through,
      C Our Rondeau's done.

      Additional examples can be seen at
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rondeau_(poetry) and
      http://www.forwardpress.co.uk/04_workshop/workshop_02.htm. As
      always, for all the gory details, look at The Princeton Encyclopedia
      of Poetry and Poetics.

      Land Ho:
      Sea voyages were dangerous. Many ships sailed out only to disapear
      without a trace. Because of this, the first glimpse of journey's end
      was always a welcome sight. Sing a song of celebration that tells of
      arriving at a destination, reaching agoal, or coming home.

      Challenge General Rules

      Challenges are not contests. You win by entering and striving to do
      the best you can.

      Challenges are designed to encourage you to try your hand at
      something new, to stretch yourself, to enjoy, and to celebrate the
      creative spirit.

      Read the guidelines for the challenges carefully, like most
      exercises, they are designed to help you develop in specific areas.
      Try to follow them as closely as you can, but stretching them in
      unexpected directions is good too.

      Individuals are welcome and encouraged to give recognition to those
      performers whom they especially enjoy.

      In order to allow the largest number of people to participate,
      challenge entries shall be limited to five minutes or less. Each
      person may enter a maximum of one piece in each challenge and a
      maximum of eight challenges.
    • Cerian Cantwr
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2010
        Mid-Realm Bardic Madness XII

        Greetings and welcome are bid to all Bards, Troubadors, Trouveres,
        Minstrels, Minnesingers, Jongleurs, Singers, Storytellers, Poets,
        Scops, Skalds, Fillids, Olaves, Griots, Wordsmiths, and Friends of
        these arts. Also Musicians, Dancers, Jugglers, Magicians, and Players
        as well.

        This year's Bardic Madness will take place on November 13th, 2010. Our
        hosts will be the Shire of Narrental (Twelve Mile, IN). Many thanks go
[...]

        http://tilted-windmill.com/bms12 Additional information will be
        posted there as it becomes available.

        For questions about the days challenges or participating in the concert
        please contact the provost:
        Lucia Elena Braganza
        kcoutinho@...

        For questions about the site and logistics, please contact the
        autocrat:
        Loptr Orlygsson
        (Landon Montgomery)
        1500 Miles Street
        Logansport, IN 46947
        574-870-9886
        arakinas@...

        The Challenges

        Fyt the First:

        Pass the Tale:
        All those who wish to participate get up together, and tell a tale
        from beginning to end. The challenge's patron will 'conduct' by
        pointing to the person whose turn it is to continue the tale, and
        deciding when it is time to end.

        Fortune's Fool:
        Many tales revolve around a prophecy, divination or lucky charm. Tell us
        of one such adventure.

        Deja Vu:
        What if "It's Been A Hard Day's Night" had been written by O'Carolan
        instead of the Beatles? If John Henry was a blacksmith instead of a
        steel drivin' man? Mighty Casey at Crown List? Take a modern piece, but
        crank the dial on the way-back machine to make it SCA compatible. For
        example:

        Now, gentles, sit! And yes shall hear a tale,
        The story of a voyage marr'd by fate,
        Commencing from a port of tropic clime
        Aboard a vessel minuscule, the mate
        A sailor full of puissance, yet not more
        Than was his captain. That idyllic shore
        Sent forth five passengers upon a tour
        Of but three hours' time; the weather played
        The strumpet with the ship, her serenade
        Turned hurricano, and not small at all,
        Her crew's exertions nurs'd her to the lee
        Of a long-forgotten atoll. There lamed,
        Brave Gilligan and his captain dwell beside
        A merchant rich as Croesus and his bride,
        A wanton actress, a most learned man,
        And Mary Ann,
        Upon the isle for which our play is named!
        -- (unattributed, found at http://www.thalia.org/medieval.html)

        2nd fyt:

        Sibyl Says:
        The sibyls were female prophets of Greek and Roman mythology. Their
        prophecies, which emerged as riddles to be interpreted by priests, were
        inspired by Apollo or other dieties. (mythencyclopedia.com). Tell us a
        riddle, prophetic or not!

        Mourning Becomes Cassandra:
        Cassandra was a prophetess cursed by Apollo to always foretell true,
        but never to be believed. She witnessed many tragedies and died in the
        fall of Troy. Pull out the hankies and give us a good lament.

        Period Piece:
        Perform a documentably period piece of music, story, or song (poetry,
        prose, and so forth are good too). Dig out those reference books, blow
        off the dust (try not to sneeze), and see what wonderful and magical
        treasures you can find in them. There is a staggering amount of
        fantastic material out there. Find something, be it silly or sublime,
        and amaze us with it.

        3rd fyt:

        Fortune Cookie:
        We're leaving this one up to the fates and sugar. Grab a fortune cookie
        or the Italian analog, Baci (provided by the Provost), and write two
        verses and a chorus inspired by the wisdom within.

        Anglo Saxon Verse:
        My magic 8 ball predicts there will be a mighty event in the East,
        where the lines of Beowulf will once again echo in the hall
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BeowulfEvent). Start warming up now with
        a piece in Anglo Saxon verse. The rules for constructing it are as
        follows:

        1. Each line is made up of two half lines or distiches.
        2. When spoken aloud, there will be a natural pause between them.
        This is the caesura.
        3. Each half line consists of two strongly stressed syllables and an
        indefinite number of weaker ones.
        4. Stressed syllables rhyme with each other by alliteration.
        5. The first stress of the second half line will rhyme with either
        of the stresses in the first half line.
        6. The second stress of the second half line does not usually rhyme
        with either of the stresses in the first half line.

        Here is an example:

        Harken and hear heed my example.
        Verse form I give you view it and learn.
        Two are the stresses told in each half-line,
        Varied the unstressed uttered as well.
        The first or the second fit with the third beat;
        The fourth, at the end, follows no rule.
        When spoken aloud, ears spot the caesura -
        The silence between both halves of the line.

        Further information on the basic rules for Anglo-Saxon alliterative
        verse can be found at
        http://cuip.uchicago.edu/~iabrams/OE_Rap_port/oepoetryworksheet.htm.
        For all the gory details, take a look at The Princeton Encyclopedia of
        Poetry and Poetics.

        Beware the Ides of March:
        Ceasar might've lived longer if he'd paid attention! Give us your own
        ominous foretelling.

        4th fyt:

        Bard Scribe Illuminator:
        Given a subject in the morning, compose, calligraph, and illuminate a
        text on that subject. This may be done individually or as a team.

        Toasting:
        Feast time is traditionally when we raise our glasses on high to honor
        the crown and other deserving individuals. Given a topic or person at
        random, create an appropriate toast for them.

        Tastier than Tea Leaves:
        Food is often involved in divination, from reading of tea leaves or
        entrails to tossing apple peelings. But we've got much better things to
        do with food - a glorious feast! Give us a piece about food or
        feasting; bonus points if you can work in praise for our cooks.

        Challenge General Rules

        Challenges are not contests. You win by entering and striving to do
        the best you can.

        Challenges are designed to encourage you to try your hand at
        something new, to stretch yourself, to enjoy, and to celebrate the
        creative spirit.

        Read the guidelines for the challenges carefully, like most
        exercises, they are designed to help you develop in specific areas.
        Try to follow them as closely as you can, but stretching them in
        unexpected directions is good too.

        Individuals are welcome and encouraged to give recognition to those
        performers whom they especially enjoy.

        In order to allow the largest number of people to participate,
        challenge entries shall be limited to five minutes or less. Each
        person may enter a maximum of one piece in each challenge and a
        maximum of four challenges.