Combat Archery and Melees

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      Posted by Palymar on Legio Draconis, highly relevant to Midlands and Combat
      archers:

      Palymar wrote at Aug 01, 2005 - 08:18 AM
      Greeting All,

      I wish to address an issue concerning Combat Archery that I recently heard
      about.

      It seems that there maybe a technique being taught to some beginning Combat
      Archers that at best is illegal and at worst, rather dangerous to those that
      might practice it.

      What I have heard is, that some Combat Archers are being taught to raise
      their hands as a fighter approaches them but not say anything.
      Most fighters have been trained to accept this non-verbal sign to mean that
      the person is yielding. Then, after the fighter has turned away, having not
      struck the Combat Archer, the combat archer then reloads and shots the
      fighter.

      If the combat archer in question does not have full gauntlets, then this is
      an illegal activity. If you are not fully armored (ie have half gauntlets)
      you MUST yield to any fighter that gets within weapons range of you if you
      have no one between you and that fighter. So, once you raise you half
      gauntleted hand or hands at an approaching fighter, YOU HAVE YIELDED,
      whether you have said the word or not.

      If the Combat Archer has a fully gauntleted hand, this is a very
      questionable technique as far as the rules go. It is definitely a dangerous
      one. Consider the fighter's viewpoint. They will not be pleased with being
      shot by someone thought had yielded. The next melee that fighter runs
      across a combat archer, the fighter is going to make sure that combat archer
      is dead. Probably by hitting them harder then they otherwise would have.
      It might even be a combat archer that is trying to yield, but can't get the
      words out. They might even put up a hand to show they are yielding but the
      fighter won't pay attention to that now. If that hand is only in a half
      gauntleted hand, well the danger is even more pronounced.

      Is the fighter in the right by striking a combat archer that is not in fully
      armored? Of course not. Does that any consolation to the combat archer
      with the broken hand? Of course not.

      Above all, this "fake yielding" is unworthy of any fighter taking the field
      in the name of TRM's of the Middle Kingdom and has no place on a field of
      honor.

      Please cross post this to any appropriate lists.

      In Service,
      Palymar