[ADV] A Weekend of WMA with Roger Siggs and C. Allen Reed

  • Drew Nicholson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
      (apologies for the crosspostings, please forward to relevant lists)

      Tammy Richards and Drew Nicholson present:

      A Weekend of Western Martial Arts with Roger Siggs and C. Allen Reed.

      Come learn how to fight the way our ancestors did! Classes will be
      presented in the disciplines of Unarmed Combat, Dagger, Longsword,
      SCA-style Sidesword, and Rapier!

      Class Fees: $50 for both days before December 5th, $75 after that.

      Site: The Whistlestop Cafe
      7038 N Chicago Rd
      New Carlisle, IN 46552

      NOTE: This Site is in the CENTRAL TIME ZONE. This means that in
      December, it is on CHICAGO TIME. PLEASE SCHEDULE ACCORDINGLY!

      To reserve, please send check or money-order made out to Drew Nicholson
      to:

      Drew Nicholson
      2351 Emerson Ave
      Melrose Park, IL 60164

      847-288-1106 or 847-361-5983

      Contact drewski@... if you wish to use PayPal.

      ------------------------

      THIS IS NOT AN SCA EVENT!

      ------------------------

      Class descriptions:

      Unarmed/Dagger (taught by Roger Siggs)
      Martial arts in Europe were as advanced as similar arts in Asia, but
      with very different origins and concepts. This class, through the use of
      drills and discussion, will introduce and enhance participants
      knowledge of the martial arts of western Europe throughout the 14th and
      15th centuries, and provide the basis for better study and
      understanding of fencing theory and concepts in later periods as well.
      Primary focus will be on German and Italian masters of the fight, and
      the concepts behind their combative style. Focus will also be given
      towards utilizing these skills in modern, real life situations.
      Primarily physical in nature, students should be aware that close
      proximity to other students will be required for this class. Falling,
      rolling and basics of physical movement will also be taught.

      Equipment necessary: Fencing mask, dagger (small quillions please) or
      dagger waster. A rolled up magazine is also useable. Gloves.

      ---

      Longsword (taught by Roger Siggs)
      The hand and a half sword, in the 15th Century Italian style. Students
      will learn the basic concepts of combat with this weapon from Italian
      and German treatise on it's use. Guards, attacks and defences will be
      covered, providing the student with a good foundation for further
      research as well as sequences to practice and integrate into their
      practice regimen.

      Equipment necessary: Fencing mask, elbow pads, and a longsword waster
      (or equivalent stick). Gloves.

      ---

      Sidesword (taught by Roger Siggs)
      The information in this class has been culled from the teachings of
      dall'Agocchie; Marozzo, and others and arranged to present in as
      efficient a manner as possible the basic concepts of the Italian
      Sidesword (spada da alto). A beginning student should leave this class
      with enough understanding of this art to become an adequately skilled
      and safe cut-and-thrust combatant with just a bit of time spent working
      on the concepts that will be covered. A more advanced student will begin
      to have a thorough understanding of the concepts and characteristics of
      sidesword combat.

      Equipment necessary: Students should bring normal protective gear for
      rapier, elbow pads and a good sidesword simulator (sword with a Del Tin
      practice sidesword blade, Del Tin Bated rapier blade or other blades OK
      in the SCA sidesword program).

      ---

      Single Rapier (taught by C. Allen Reed)
      Participants in the Rapier I, II and III classes will be given
      instruction in the thrust oriented swordplay of the late 16th and early
      17th centuries of Western Europe. These classes are suitable for both
      the novice and more experienced student of defence.

      Equipment necessary: Minimum gear needed for the rapier classes is a
      modern fencing mask, a metal or heavy leather gorget, a long sleeved
      fencing jacket or SCA approved rapier doublet, fencing gloves or
      equivalent and a blunted rapier simulator (preferably a Del Tin or
      equivalent though a schlagger can be used). All male students must wear
      an athletic cup or equivalent groin protection. The instructor has
      final authority to approve or disapprove any gear used in these classes.

      ---

      Rapier & Dagger (taught by C. Allen Reed)
      Students taking the rapier and dagger class(es) will be taught
      techniques for use of the dagger in combination with the rapier.

      Equipment necessary: Minimum gear needed for the dagger classes is a
      modern fencing mask, a metal or heavy leather gorget, a long sleeved
      fencing jacket or SCA approved rapier doublet, fencing gloves or
      equivalent, a blunted rapier simulator (preferably a Del Tin or
      equivalent though a schlagger can be used) and a blunted dagger
      simulator. All male students must wear an athletic cup or equivalent
      groin protection. The instructor has final authority to approve or
      disapprove any gear used in these classes.

      ---

      A schedule of all classes will be available to registrants shortly
      before the event.

      ---

      Instructors:

      Roger Siggs is the Rector of the Phoenix branch of Tattershall, and
      fencing/martial arts instructor for Maricopa Community Colleges,
      offering instruction in Italian rapier, Sidesword, Longsword and
      Unarmed Combat. Mr. Siggs has been training in the martial arts for
      over 20 years, and has been awarded black belts or instructor status in
      several Eastern martial arts including Kyokushinkai, Daito-ryu
      Aiki-Jujutsu and Tomiki Aikido.

      In recent years he has devoted his research and training purely to
      the Western Arts, focusing on the Medieval Close Combat dagger and
      grappling methods, and the Italian fighting arts. His formal training
      in the Arte of Defense and Western Martial arts began approximately 10
      years ago, and had focused primarily on Italian Rapier technique. He
      has served as na editor for William Wilson's 'Arte of Defence' as well
      as
      'Spada: the Journal of Western Martial Arts'. He is a member of the
      Society of American Fight Directors, the International Fighting Arts
      Association, and brings a broad base of teaching experience in the
      fields of combative application, research and historical interpretation
      in addition to his martial arts background.

      Within the SCA, Mr. Siggs is known as Senan O'Faolan, a member of the
      Order of the White Scarf which is the highest award for fencing
      expertise in the Atenveldt (Arizona) chapter of the SCA. Mr. Siggs has
      taught classes on varied subjects relating to Western Martial Arts
      throughout the US and Canada.

      ---

      C. Allen Reed is a Deputy US Marshal with over twenty years experience
      in law enforcement. Allen is a firearms and police combatives instructor
      in the Marshals Service.

      Allen holds the rank of kaiden (7th dan) in Paracombatives jujutsu and
      has been teaching at the Northwestern University jujutsu club for over
      17 years. He is currently the senior instructor in the club.

      For the past ten years Allen has been studying historic Western Martial
      Arts. He has worked on interpreting the writings of DiGrassi, Saviolo,
      Sainct Didier and Swetnam. Allen has also sought out other scholars of
      WMA by taking classes from Bob Charron, Stephen Hand and Maestro Ramon
      Martinez. Allen has also attended the International Swordfighting and
      Martial Arts Conference and the Western Martial Arts Workshop. Allen is
      active with the Chicago Swordplay Guild as well.

      With his wife Andrea Dubnick Allen runs the Gallowglass Academy which
      provides classes in defence both historic and modern. Allen has made
      presentations on firearms and other related topics to the Midwestern
      chapter of the Mystery Writers of America, the Chicago chapter of
      Sisters in Crime and the 2002 World Horror Convention.

      In the SCA Allen is known as Baron AElfred of Chester. Allen was the
      first kingdom rapier marshal for the Middle Kingdom (the Midwestern
      chapter of the SCA) and is a member of the Order of the Bronze Ring,
      the highest rapier oriented award given by the Middle Kingdom. Allen
      has provided instruction on various combat related topics at numerous
      events in the Middle Kingdom and at many of the Known World Academies of
      the Rapier.

      ------------------------

      THIS IS NOT AN SCA EVENT!

      ------------------------

      Directions to Site:

      >From west:

      Take 80/90 East.
      Take the US-421 exit towards MICHIGAN CITY/WESTVILLE, exit #39 - go 0.8
      mi
      Turn Right on S US-421 - go 2.1 mi
      Turn Left on W IN-2 - go 9.1 mi
      Continue on JAY ST - go 0.8 mi
      Turn Right on W LINCOLN WAY - go 1.0 mi
      Continue on E LINCOLN WAY - go 2.1 mi
      Continue on E IN-2 - go 5.7 mi
      Continue on US-20 EAST - go 2.4 mi
      Turn Left on N 750 E - go 0.3 mi
      Bear Right on E CHICAGO RD - go 1.2 mi
      Continue on N CHICAGO TRL - go 0.1 mi
      Arrive at 7038 N CHICAGO RD, NEW CARLISLE

      >From the East:

      Take 80/90 WEST.
      Take the US-31-BYP exit towards NILES/PLYMOUTH/SOUTH BEND, exit #72 - go
      1.3 mi
      Merge on US-31 SOUTH - go 0.9 mi
      Take the US-20 WEST exit towards MICHIGAN CITY - go 0.5 mi
      Continue on US-20 - go 9.5 mi
      Turn Right on COUNTY LINE RD/N 900E - go 0.3 mi
      Turn Left on E 700N - go 0.7 mi
      Turn Right on N CHICAGO TRL - go 0.1 mi
      Arrive at 7038 N CHICAGO RD, NEW CARLISLE

      ---------------

      The South Shore Rail Line has a train stop directly across the street
      from the site at the HUDSON LAKE STATION. This train line travels from
      Chicago, IL to South Bend, IN. Check
      http://www.nictd.com/service/weekendeastbound.htm and
      http://www.nictd.com/service/weekendwestbound.htm for schedule
      information and http://www.nictd.com/service/fares.htm for ticket
      prices. (HINT: In order to get to site by 10:00 am, you need to leave
      Chicago at 8:00 am and South Bend at 9:40 am)

      ----------------

      Hotels:

      Super 8 South Bend In (10 miles from New Carlisle)
      574-233-3800
      4124 Ameritech Dr
      South Bend, IN

      $50-$80 (Rooms with 2 beds start at $53)

      directions:
      >From East - Take Indiana Turnpike I-80/90 West To Exit
      72. Take Us 31 North To Cleveland/Brick Road Exit. Turn
      Left Onto Cleveland,then Right Onto Ameritech Drive. The
      Hotel Will Be On The Left. .

      >From West - Take Indiana Turnpike I-80/90 East To Exit
      72. Take Us 31 North To Cleveland/Brick Road Exit. Turn
      Left Onto Cleveland Then Right Onto Ameritech Drive. The
      Hotel Will Be On The Left.

      ---

      Days Inn Airport Suites (11 miles from New Carlisle)
      574 233-3131
      23040 US 20 WEST
      South Bend, IN

      $67-$100

      directions:
      >From East - 80/90 West To Exit 72 To Us 31 Bypass South
      To Exit Us-20 East.

      >From West - 80/90 East To Exit 72 To Us 31 Bypass South
      To Exit Us-20 East.

      ---

      Howard Johnson Inn - South Bend (13.5 Miles East of New Carlisle)
      130 Dixieway South
      South Bend, IN, 46637 US
      574 272-7900

      $54-60

      The Howard Johnson South Bend is conveniently located 1/2 mile south of
      I-80/90 on US 33/31. We are only 1/2 mile north of Notre Dame & St.
      Mary?s Universities and the convention center is only 3 miles away. We
      offer 2 floors, an indoor pool and fitness center (open oct.15,2000),
      and complimentary continental breakfast to each guest 6am - 9am.

      ---

      Holiday Inn Express La Porte (12 miles from New Carlisle)
      574-326-7900
      100 Eastshore Ct
      La Porte, IN

      $65-$170

      directions:
      >From North - Located On Hwy 35-39 Also Known As Pine Lake
      Avenue. Go 5 Miles South Of I-80-90 Exit 49 Or 8 Miles
      South Of I-94 Exit 40.

      THIS IS NOT AN SCA EVENT!

    • Drew Nicholson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
        (apologies for the cross posting, please forward to relevant lists)

        Tammy Richards and Drew Nicholson present:

        A Weekend of Western Martial Arts with Roger Siggs and C. Allen Reed.

        December 13 and 14, 2003