Re: deaf-uk-bsl again

  • Lisa Harper
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2004
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Alison Bryan <alison.bryan@g...> wrote:
      > As a few people have asked me aboout this, I've temporarily changed
      > the archive settings for deaf-uk-bsl .... to public.
      >
      > Archives here:
      > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/deaf-uk-bsl

      Hi Allison,

      Thanks for the peek! This is such a wonderful idea. I
      wish I understood BSL (or ASL, for that matter)! From
      my point of view, the titles of your posts are a sort
      of thread summary of a particular conversation. I can
      see why some people are very interested in the
      "metadata" problem for video. Ideally, you'd like to
      be able to search on the content of video, too.
      Because in your case, the content is language! (I'm a
      computational linguist, by the way, so this is really
      exciting stuff to me.)

      There are definitely people (at universities) working
      on this problem for content-based video retrieval...
      but I doubt they imagined people using video the way
      you are. This stuff is pretty far out... you'd most
      likely combine gesture understanding with a standard
      such as MPEG-7 which provides the means for encoding
      metadata for content indexing and retrieval.

      In the near term, I guess you already know, your best
      bet is manual annotation of videos. Ideally, you want
      a tool that can automatically segment your video into
      smaller chunks which you can then easily markup with
      useful descriptions or key words.

      I'm really enjoying using a camera phone that allows
      me to capture tiny pieces of video. I'll write a post
      on this very shortly... but the nice thing is that
      once your webpage loads, all of the video is
      immediately accessible... there is no waiting time for
      video to load since the pieces are very small --
      around 150kb for 15-seconds. This seems really
      applicable to the video wiki idea...

      Lisa
      http://www.lisaharper.org/