Need help understanding .wmv files

  • Andrew Baron
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      I'm trying to pay more attention to .wmv files and get this going
      better with Rocketboom but I'm having a hard time.

      First of all, maybe I'm not configuring things properly, but I cant
      remember ever seeing a .wmv file play inside of a web browser, unless
      its streaming.Usually it pops up in a sepearte default player.

      Come to think of it, do .wmv files EVER play without streaming? Unless
      you download the file to your computer first?

      And do you get the feeling that the greatest proportion of people who
      serve streaming files are not serving them fast enough?

      I promote using OSX and Win (I wish I had more time for others) and I
      do use both of these on a daily basis. Yet within both environments,
      with several different browsers each, I cant remember EVER having an
      enjoyable experience watching .wmv files.

      What am I missing?

      I know I must be missing something because it's such a standard. My
      questions are all getting at this one point:

      Can some one please describe an enjoyable experience that they have
      with .wmv files?
    • Steve Watkins
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
        I think the issue is slightly complciated by microsofts use of the
        word streaming to also include content hosted on a normal webserver
        as a normal file.

        This document is maybe of some help to you, maybe you not got MIME
        types setup right on your server? Rocketboom prompts me to save file
        or open it in the app of my choice, rather than automatically
        playing it.

        http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/webserve
        r.aspx

        Anyway that page has some useful info but its doing the hard sell
        trying to get people to buy m$ streaming server kit so take its
        feature comparison stuff with a pinch of salt.

        I dont have an example of a site doing it all right for a good user
        experience off the top of my head, but I know Ive been to some.

        Cheers

        Steve of Elbows

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Baron"
        <videoblogyahoo@r...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to pay more attention to .wmv files and get this going
        > better with Rocketboom but I'm having a hard time.
        >
        > First of all, maybe I'm not configuring things properly, but I cant
        > remember ever seeing a .wmv file play inside of a web browser,
        unless
        > its streaming.Usually it pops up in a sepearte default player.
        >
        > Come to think of it, do .wmv files EVER play without streaming?
        Unless
        > you download the file to your computer first?
        >
        > And do you get the feeling that the greatest proportion of people
        who
        > serve streaming files are not serving them fast enough?
        >
        > I promote using OSX and Win (I wish I had more time for others)
        and I
        > do use both of these on a daily basis. Yet within both
        environments,
        > with several different browsers each, I cant remember EVER having
        an
        > enjoyable experience watching .wmv files.
        >
        > What am I missing?
        >
        > I know I must be missing something because it's such a standard. My
        > questions are all getting at this one point:
        >
        > Can some one please describe an enjoyable experience that they have
        > with .wmv files?
      • joel
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
          >Can some one please describe an enjoyable experience that they have
          >with .wmv files?

          Andrew,  for me it's not about what's enjoyable... i actually hate viewing wmv's.  i always prefer QT.  but wmv is all i have at the moment so that's what i'm using.  there was a discussion about formats a few nights ago.  I'll probably buy QT pro at some point if not for anything else but conversions... right now i only have movie maker.  so to answer your question: my enjoyable experience is that wmv is all i can create at the moment and i enjoy creating.

          joel

          Do you Yahoo!?
          Make Yahoo! your home page