Re: [videoblogging] Tagging in ANT

  • Andreas Haugstrup
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2005
      On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:59:01 -0500, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...>
      wrote:

      > More use of locally stored xml files that get generated by the blog
      > engine...such as for monthly archives or other defined parameters,
      > should be used so that this problem (expiring posts/feed items) is
      > avoided. Whatever happens to your webpage and your dynamic blog
      > content wont effect the loss or inability to retrieve data if you
      > provide linking to these local xml files.

      No, that's overkill. Save the damn info in the damn HTML page. There's no
      need to complicate matters with having two files. The permalink is so
      wonderful because it's the place to link to. If you suddenly have two
      places to link to for the same content the power of the permalink goes
      away.

      - Andreas
      --
      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
    • Andreas Haugstrup
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2005
        On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:20:47 -0500, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...>
        wrote:

        > true. i thought you were referring to cases when the content is for
        > some reason no longer available, no post, no perma, no feed. Then
        > having these backup xml files, even with xslt to present them in
        > style.... is a nice option to have...especially if your blog/site is
        > second priority to the actual distribution of your content for
        > aggregators to retrieve.

        Oh, like that. That's how my blog is archived. 12 xml files a year with my
        posts. Actually the xml files are xhtml files. :o)

        Anyway, don't make those public in addition to your public archives. One

        > Some people use rss feed generators to create content and do not use a
        > blog.
        > They are just concerned with getting content into feed readers.
        > In these cases, they are creating xml files, not blog posts.

        Yeah, I wasn't talking about those people. They're not a part of the web,
        and since I deal with blogs (especially on this list) they're not
        interesting to me. In those cases you're just using HTTP+RSS as a delivery
        mechanism - there's no actual web stuff going on.

        - Andreas
        --
        <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
      • Michael Sullivan
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2005
          true. i thought you were referring to cases when the content is for
          some reason no longer available, no post, no perma, no feed. Then
          having these backup xml files, even with xslt to present them in
          style.... is a nice option to have...especially if your blog/site is
          second priority to the actual distribution of your content for
          aggregators to retrieve.

          I dont think having 12 xml files a year stored lcoally (if generated
          monthly) is overkill. You could even host them elswhere outside of
          your blog environment if needed.

          Some people use rss feed generators to create content and do not use a blog.
          They are just concerned with getting content into feed readers.
          In these cases, they are creating xml files, not blog posts.

          Not really disagreeing with you... just added babble =)

          sull

          On Apr 1, 2005 11:02 AM, Andreas Haugstrup <videoblog@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:59:01 -0500, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > More use of locally stored xml files that get generated by the blog
          > > engine...such as for monthly archives or other defined parameters,
          > > should be used so that this problem (expiring posts/feed items) is
          > > avoided. Whatever happens to your webpage and your dynamic blog
          > > content wont effect the loss or inability to retrieve data if you
          > > provide linking to these local xml files.
          >
          > No, that's overkill. Save the damn info in the damn HTML page. There's no
          > need to complicate matters with having two files. The permalink is so
          > wonderful because it's the place to link to. If you suddenly have two
          > places to link to for the same content the power of the permalink goes
          > away.
          >
          > - Andreas
          > --
          > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>