Re: [videoblogging] Videoblog Directory Opening Up

  • Andreas Haugstrup
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
      Thanks for the clarifications. They helped a lot.

      > Initially I wanted to keep my code very simple (I'm a php neophyte);
      > I'll look at that.

      Look at explode(), trim(). That sort of stuff. PHP has excellent
      string/array manipulation. :o)

      >> Why not just link normally? I guess I'm not understanding this short
      >> version business..
      >
      > This one's quite subtle. The only "placeholder" template tags that I
      > have available are either <BlogLink> which is the full url to
      > the current entry (e.g.,
      > http://www.herecomespod.org.uk/vlogdex/arc260405.html#ID268 ), <BlogID>
      > (e.g., 268), or which is the entry
      > number or <$FileExt> (e.g., .html) which is the file extension of the
      > page. I don't have the information there to know where a file
      > is stored to hard code the template, nor can I truncate the full url
      > back to the file name stem in HTML. So I need to do it after
      > the fact - which requires Javascript. I guess I could do it server-side
      > by putting ASP in the template, but I've kept clear of that
      > in these blogs so far.

      Do it on the server. Lots of people (and Google) have javascript turned
      off, so it's not a good idea to use javascript for something vital.

      - Andreas
      --
      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>