Mark Cuban / Long Tail Hero
- Sorry, last one for now. Ending on a good note:
"Here are ten reasons why Mark Cuban is today's Long Tail hero:
1. He's retrofitting all the Landmark cinemas, which he owns, for
digital projection. This not only dramatically lowers the costs of
getting films into theaters and ups their projection quality, but will
also potentially open that distribution channel to independents who
can't afford to print hundreds of huge rolls of acetate and truck them
2. He's promoting HDTV the right way, by commissioning and
3. He's funding the Grokster defense.
4. He's a real blogger, warts and all.
5. He says that he won't use the broadcast flag.
6. He got the idea of reinventing TV a decade ago, and his work
lives on in Yahoo!'s excellent video search and music video services.
7. He doesn't believe the RIAA.
8. He sent a team to cover the Iraq elections, live, in high-def.
9. He has a successful reality TV show.
10. He really gets the Long Tail: "Popular items are just that,
popular. My guess however is that in absolute numbers, the long tail
of the download distribution curves, both in terms of number of songs
and in number of songs downloaded, overwhelm the number of copyrighted
songs illegally being downloaded."