Tagging in ANT

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 29, 2005
      Hey-

      we are prioritizing where to go next with ANT.
      What do you think of tagging?
      would you like to tag videos you see....and search for tags in ANT.
      and all tags could be subscribed to with a click of a button.
      bascially we'd have the same thing that mefeedia has...
      sound like something you want?

      im trying to talk the porogrammers into the idea.

      jay
    • R. Kristiansen
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 29, 2005
        This is not just something I want, it is clearly also the way a lot of
        our "infoclouds" will be organized in the future. Today, I tag my
        photos in flickr, and I tag my bookmarks in del.icio.us. I tag my
        video on Vimeo, and I see no point in not being able to tag it in ANT
        as well :) Tag people's rss feeds - mmm.

        Next will be to tag all kinds of opml collections out there, and
        exchange collections, throw around files representing hundreds of
        feeds, thousands of pages, zillions of data, and all for one goal:
        making our lives more interesting, informed, happy :D

        Best regards,

        Raymond M. Kristiansen

        On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:18:01 -0500, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
        > Hey-
        >
        > we are prioritizing where to go next with ANT.
        > What do you think of tagging?
      • Andreas Haugstrup
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
          wrote:

          > we are prioritizing where to go next with ANT.
          > What do you think of tagging?
          > would you like to tag videos you see....and search for tags in ANT.
          > and all tags could be subscribed to with a click of a button.
          > bascially we'd have the same thing that mefeedia has...
          > sound like something you want?

          I'll tell you what I don't want. :o)
          I don't want yet another place to tag the same videos. If you do tagging
          in ANT you should hook into the tagging styles that are already out there.
          Start reading Technorati tags, when mefeedia starts looking for Technorati
          style tags authors should only have to do tags once and have it picked up
          by Technorati, mefeedia and ANT.

          - Andreas
          --
          <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
        • Andreas Haugstrup
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
            On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:08:37 -0500, Adam Quirk <bullemhead@...>
            wrote:

            > Doesn't Technorati do the tagging for you with certain blog engines?
            > I think I read that Technorati pulls tag data from whatever category
            > organized you post into.

            Yeah, they look at your RSS feed as well, and it's a stupid practice.

            - Andreas
            --
            <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
          • Adam Quirk
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
              > > What do you think of tagging?

              I'm in love with it. The act of tagging is like the act of making
              love (is like pink cookies in a plastic bag gettin crushed by
              buildings - LL Cool J)

              > Start reading Technorati tags, when mefeedia starts looking for Technorati
              > style tags authors should only have to do tags once and have it picked up
              > by Technorati, mefeedia and ANT.

              Doesn't Technorati do the tagging for you with certain blog engines?
              I think I read that Technorati pulls tag data from whatever category
              organized you post into.

              I still like the ability to include extraneous tags though, in case I
              don't want to create a new category for something. (like I did with
              videobloggingweek2005)

              -Adam
            • Andreas Haugstrup
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
                On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:05:56 +0100, Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
                <julianduk@...> wrote:

                >> Yeah, they look at your RSS feed as well, and it's a stupid practice.
                >
                > Don't they need to do that to cover information which is only published
                > on feeds?

                That's the problem. Blogs (and other web-content providers) should never
                publish information only in their feeds.

                - Andreas
                --
                <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
              • Andreas Haugstrup
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
                  On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:43:15 -0500, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...>
                  wrote:

                  > are the other tagging systems open?
                  > this is what ourmedia is spearheading.
                  > everything open..everyone hook into everyone else.

                  Ourmedia is still a closed community at this point. With that said the
                  idea of open standards to facilitate communication is as old as the
                  internets, it's not something Ourmedia made up. I'm still waiting to see
                  how it'll play out with Ourmedia, but an API won't cut it. That's still a
                  centralized system.

                  > is Technorati and open tagging system?

                  The only open one at this point.

                  - Andreas
                  --
                  <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
                    > I'll tell you what I don't want. :o)
                    > I don't want yet another place to tag the same videos. If you do tagging
                    > in ANT you should hook into the tagging styles that are already out there.
                    > Start reading Technorati tags, when mefeedia starts looking for Technorati
                    > style tags authors should only have to do tags once and have it picked up
                    > by Technorati, mefeedia and ANT.

                    this is the exact idea.
                    open information.
                    mefeedia and ANT are planning to share tags.
                    its work to make it happen but we will.

                    are the other tagging systems open?
                    this is what ourmedia is spearheading.
                    everything open..everyone hook into everyone else.

                    is Technorati and open tagging system?

                    Jay
                  • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
                      > Doesn't Technorati do the tagging for you with certain blog engines?
                      > I think I read that Technorati pulls tag data from whatever category
                      > organized you post into.

                      >Yeah, they look at your RSS feed as well, and it's a stupid practice.

                      Don't they need to do that to cover information which is only published on feeds?

                      Julian
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
                        > Ourmedia is still a closed community at this point. With that said the
                        > idea of open standards to facilitate communication is as old as the
                        > internets, it's not something Ourmedia made up. I'm still waiting to see
                        > how it'll play out with Ourmedia, but an API won't cut it. That's still a
                        > centralized system.

                        true.
                        not sure how it will play out.
                        so lets educate me publicly....
                        how would you have a system that had more than just an open API?
                        (API is an abbreviation of "application program interface", a set of
                        routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications.)

                        what would the perfect open system be to share media?

                        Jay
                      • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
                          From: Andreas Haugstrup

                          >That's the problem. Blogs (and other web-content providers) should never
                          >publish information only in their feeds.

                          Can you provide a rationale for that to be applied universally, and do you just mean text feeds? Is there an implication that there
                          should be a parallel blog for *all* RSS feeds>

                          Julian
                        • Adam Quirk
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 31, 2005
                            > > Doesn't Technorati do the tagging for you with certain blog engines?
                            > > I think I read that Technorati pulls tag data from whatever category
                            > > organized you post into.
                            >
                            > Yeah, they look at your RSS feed as well, and it's a stupid practice.

                            Expound on this. I need a learnin' to.

                            I know just from a gut feeling that I really shouldn't be tagging any
                            of my stuff with "technorati" in it. When I'm 40, Technorati will not
                            be in human vocabulary.
                          • Michael Sullivan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 1 12:32 AM
                              I dont understand your thoughts on technorati at all. please
                              ellaborate, if possible.

                              On Apr 1, 2005 2:59 AM, Adam Quirk <bullemhead@...> wrote:

                              > > > Doesn't Technorati do the tagging for you with certain blog engines?
                              > > > I think I read that Technorati pulls tag data from whatever category
                              > > > organized you post into.
                              > >
                              > > Yeah, they look at your RSS feed as well, and it's a stupid practice.
                              > >
                              > Expound on this. I need a learnin' to.
                              >
                              > I know just from a gut feeling that I really shouldn't be tagging any
                              > of my stuff with "technorati" in it. When I'm 40, Technorati will not
                              > be in human vocabulary.

                              ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                              i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                              =====================
                            • fALk
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 1 1:47 AM
                                Just looked into technocrati tagging. I don´t find it overly bad. I
                                mean you put a couple of <subjects> in the rss feeds that contain the
                                tagging info and there you go. The plugin for movable type is like 10
                                lines long and very easy to use and install. I do not have the time nor
                                would I take the time to tag anything after it is published and I would
                                never tag more then once. So to make ant have tagging and mfeedia too
                                support something that is already out there before developing your own.
                                Just display the tags that are in the rss feed. if there are no
                                specific tags use the catagory I think its a good way to do it. But
                                PLEASE don´t make it all more complicated by adding more "standards"
                                that are none and diverting the already problematic tag/rss stuff.

                                just my 2cent...

                                fALk

                                On 01.04.2005, at 10:32 Uhr, Michael Sullivan wrote:

                                > I dont understand your thoughts on technorati at all. please
                                > ellaborate, if possible.

                                >>> Yeah, they look at your RSS feed as well, and it's a stupid
                                >>> practice.
                                >>>
                                >> Expound on this. I need a learnin' to.
                                >>
                                >> I know just from a gut feeling that I really shouldn't be tagging any
                                >> of my stuff with "technorati" in it. When I'm 40, Technorati will
                                >> not
                                >> be in human vocabulary.
                                >>

                                >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >>

                                > --
                                > ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                                > i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m

                                ----------------------------------
                                life through an artificial eye
                                the world in vj vision
                                ----------------------------------
                                http://vjblog.prototypen.com

                                ANTfeed:
                                http://vjblog.prototypen.com/feed
                                ---------------------------------
                              • Andreas Haugstrup
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 1 6:01 AM
                                  On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:49:06 +0100, Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
                                  <julianduk@...> wrote:

                                  >> That's the problem. Blogs (and other web-content providers) should never
                                  >> publish information only in their feeds.
                                  >
                                  > Can you provide a rationale for that to be applied universally, and do
                                  > you just mean text feeds?

                                  No, for any kind of web content.

                                  > Is there an implication that there
                                  > should be a parallel blog for *all* RSS feeds>

                                  I didn't say that. But when you have content meant for the web (eg. not
                                  syndication of tv shows via RSS or something) your feed should correspond
                                  with your web content.

                                  It's very simple really. Your RSS feed will only be available for a week
                                  or so until the item gets pushed off. So if the information isn't
                                  available on a webpage it's gone. It's not cool when your tags expire
                                  after a week, and even less cool when your enclosures expire after a week.

                                  When you are blogging you need to think about your webpage first, and your
                                  feed second, because the webpage is the permanent location. It's that
                                  document people can link to, it's that page they'll be coming back to.

                                  - Andreas
                                  --
                                  <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                                • Andreas Haugstrup
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 1 6:02 AM
                                    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:59:03 -0500, Adam Quirk <bullemhead@...> wrote:

                                    >> Yeah, they look at your RSS feed as well, and it's a stupid practice.
                                    >>
                                    > Expound on this. I need a learnin' to.
                                    >
                                    > I know just from a gut feeling that I really shouldn't be tagging any
                                    > of my stuff with "technorati" in it. When I'm 40, Technorati will not
                                    > be in human vocabulary.

                                    No, anyone can read and understand Technorati tags. That's why you should
                                    be using them. Even if Technorati goes away a new service could pick up
                                    without any old tags having been lost.

                                    --
                                    <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                                  • Andreas Haugstrup
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 1 8:02 AM
                                      On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:59:01 -0500, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > More use of locally stored xml files that get generated by the blog
                                      > engine...such as for monthly archives or other defined parameters,
                                      > should be used so that this problem (expiring posts/feed items) is
                                      > avoided. Whatever happens to your webpage and your dynamic blog
                                      > content wont effect the loss or inability to retrieve data if you
                                      > provide linking to these local xml files.

                                      No, that's overkill. Save the damn info in the damn HTML page. There's no
                                      need to complicate matters with having two files. The permalink is so
                                      wonderful because it's the place to link to. If you suddenly have two
                                      places to link to for the same content the power of the permalink goes
                                      away.

                                      - Andreas
                                      --
                                      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                                    • Andreas Haugstrup
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 1 8:38 AM
                                        On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:20:47 -0500, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > true. i thought you were referring to cases when the content is for
                                        > some reason no longer available, no post, no perma, no feed. Then
                                        > having these backup xml files, even with xslt to present them in
                                        > style.... is a nice option to have...especially if your blog/site is
                                        > second priority to the actual distribution of your content for
                                        > aggregators to retrieve.

                                        Oh, like that. That's how my blog is archived. 12 xml files a year with my
                                        posts. Actually the xml files are xhtml files. :o)

                                        Anyway, don't make those public in addition to your public archives. One

                                        > Some people use rss feed generators to create content and do not use a
                                        > blog.
                                        > They are just concerned with getting content into feed readers.
                                        > In these cases, they are creating xml files, not blog posts.

                                        Yeah, I wasn't talking about those people. They're not a part of the web,
                                        and since I deal with blogs (especially on this list) they're not
                                        interesting to me. In those cases you're just using HTTP+RSS as a delivery
                                        mechanism - there's no actual web stuff going on.

                                        - Andreas
                                        --
                                        <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                                      • Michael Sullivan
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 1 8:59 AM
                                          More use of locally stored xml files that get generated by the blog
                                          engine...such as for monthly archives or other defined parameters,
                                          should be used so that this problem (expiring posts/feed items) is
                                          avoided. Whatever happens to your webpage and your dynamic blog
                                          content wont effect the loss or inability to retrieve data if you
                                          provide linking to these local xml files.

                                          sull

                                          On Apr 1, 2005 9:01 AM, Andreas Haugstrup <videoblog@...> wrote:

                                          > On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:49:06 +0100, Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
                                          > <julianduk@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > >> That's the problem. Blogs (and other web-content providers) should never
                                          > >> publish information only in their feeds.
                                          > >
                                          > > Can you provide a rationale for that to be applied universally, and do
                                          > > you just mean text feeds?
                                          >
                                          > No, for any kind of web content.
                                          >
                                          > > Is there an implication that there
                                          > > should be a parallel blog for *all* RSS feeds>
                                          >
                                          > I didn't say that. But when you have content meant for the web (eg. not
                                          > syndication of tv shows via RSS or something) your feed should correspond
                                          > with your web content.
                                          >
                                          > It's very simple really. Your RSS feed will only be available for a week
                                          > or so until the item gets pushed off. So if the information isn't
                                          > available on a webpage it's gone. It's not cool when your tags expire
                                          > after a week, and even less cool when your enclosures expire after a week.
                                          >
                                          > When you are blogging you need to think about your webpage first, and your
                                          > feed second, because the webpage is the permanent location. It's that
                                          > document people can link to, it's that page they'll be coming back to.
                                          >
                                          > - Andreas
                                          > --
                                          > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

                                          ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                                          i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                                          =====================
                                        • Michael Sullivan
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 1 9:20 AM
                                            true. i thought you were referring to cases when the content is for
                                            some reason no longer available, no post, no perma, no feed. Then
                                            having these backup xml files, even with xslt to present them in
                                            style.... is a nice option to have...especially if your blog/site is
                                            second priority to the actual distribution of your content for
                                            aggregators to retrieve.

                                            I dont think having 12 xml files a year stored lcoally (if generated
                                            monthly) is overkill. You could even host them elswhere outside of
                                            your blog environment if needed.

                                            Some people use rss feed generators to create content and do not use a blog.
                                            They are just concerned with getting content into feed readers.
                                            In these cases, they are creating xml files, not blog posts.

                                            Not really disagreeing with you... just added babble =)

                                            sull

                                            On Apr 1, 2005 11:02 AM, Andreas Haugstrup <videoblog@...> wrote:

                                            > On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:59:01 -0500, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > More use of locally stored xml files that get generated by the blog
                                            > > engine...such as for monthly archives or other defined parameters,
                                            > > should be used so that this problem (expiring posts/feed items) is
                                            > > avoided. Whatever happens to your webpage and your dynamic blog
                                            > > content wont effect the loss or inability to retrieve data if you
                                            > > provide linking to these local xml files.
                                            >
                                            > No, that's overkill. Save the damn info in the damn HTML page. There's no
                                            > need to complicate matters with having two files. The permalink is so
                                            > wonderful because it's the place to link to. If you suddenly have two
                                            > places to link to for the same content the power of the permalink goes
                                            > away.
                                            >
                                            > - Andreas
                                            > --
                                            > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>