enclosing video for RSS 2.0

  • tuplez2
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
      I am trying to have my video, audio and photo blog show my videos, audio and photo files
      as enclosures, but this seems to be at odds to how I prefer to show my work. I like to put
      up a single jpg with a screen capture from the video that links to an html file which has the
      swf movie embedded. If I want my rss feed to show that I am posting video and or audio
      files, do the files have to be embedded on the front page? Open to suggestions.
      Thanks,
      Greg

      www.worleyworks.com
    • Joshua Kinberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
        Here's why I think using Flash is antithetical to the 'casting experience.
        With enclosures, you want people to be able to download your media
        files -- that's the point.

        SWFs are complex and could contain all kinds of scripting or
        dependencies requiring external files called by actionscript. This
        works great when I view it in a web browser on *your* site. It works
        crappy if I download the SWF and try to play it from my local machine.

        This seems to be exactly how FLV works. From what I gather (and I
        could be wrong), you can't play an FLV on its own. You must load that
        FLV through a SWF wrapper that contains the controls for video
        playback. If you are using relative file paths to load your external
        FLV file, then when someone downloads your SWF as an enclosure it will
        be broken because it no longer points to that relative-linked FLV
        file.

        So maybe the solution is to always use absolute links when you author
        in Flash, but this is not practical for most Flash developers who are
        authoring in a test environment and then uploading the whole package
        with depndencies to a server.

        My 2 cents....

        -Josh

        On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:44:42 -0000, tuplez2 <gwmail@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to have my video, audio and photo blog show my videos, audio and photo files
        > as enclosures, but this seems to be at odds to how I prefer to show my work. I like to put
        > up a single jpg with a screen capture from the video that links to an html file which has the
        > swf movie embedded. If I want my rss feed to show that I am posting video and or audio
        > files, do the files have to be embedded on the front page? Open to suggestions.
        > Thanks,
        > Greg
        >
        > www.worleyworks.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
          podcast-review@yahoogroups.com. Reviewed this week:

          * Geek Central News.
          * Starfrosch free Netaudio music service.

          http://www.herecomespod.org.uk/review/
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
            You can just ignore the enclosure stuff altogether then and do something
            like this within your RSS feed

            <item>
            <title>Fluffy 2005.03.09</title>
            <link>http://mysite.com/mystuff/somelink</link>
            <description>
            This is a video of my cat playing with a ball of razor wire by accident.
            I bet he won't have the nuts to do that again!
            </description>
            </item>

            where the link is just whatever the entry page to your new package of media.
            People subscribing to it in any RSS aggregator (obl. plug: like Sparks!)
            will see the title and description and can click through to your media.

            Regards, etc...
            David
            http://www.blogmatrix.com