Podcast & Videoblog Hotel, July 15-17, 2005

  • Eric Rice
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 28, 2005
      Hi folks,

      I'm re-posting this on behalf of my colleague Alex Williams from Corante. He's putting
      together a very cool thing called "Podcast Hotel", which is set in this re-styled retro hotel,
      where rooms are being vacated of beds and transformed into session rooms. There's a
      stage-like thing in the courtyard. He's also putting much effort into the getting strong
      videoblogging representation, and has asked me to emcee a videoblog showcase/festival
      of sorts, of which I'm honored to host.

      There will be more conversation about this as the weeks go on, especially on figuring out
      how to get folks who aren't able to make it to Portland to be as present as possible.

      Feel free to e-mail either Alex (alex@corante) or myself (eric@ericrice) with questions. I
      hope everyone has a chance to take part. Cuz ya know, west coast in July? mmmm mmm
      good.

      -Eric

      Here's his original post:

      --

      Hi, all -- We're doing the Podcast Hotel, July 15-17. Julian, Harold --
      that's exactly what we want to do. Create an event at a hotel that

      The goal is to create. Create podcasts. Create videoblogs. And explore
      how we can broaden the scope of what we are doing by providing a space
      for artists, geeks, hobbyists, musicians, writers, journalists, marketers and
      anyone else.
    • Deirdre Straughan
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 28, 2005
        I doubt I can make it to Portland in July, but how about doing
        something in cooperation with a remote location, e.g. Milan? We just
        might have some fun stuff to show off.

        --
        best regards,
        Deirdré Straughan
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
          Podcast & Videoblog Hotel sounds like a Fantastic idea, and I think we
          can make this a true worldwide event.

          On July 15th, I will be going to Northern Norway in order to visit my
          family and celebrate my mother's 50th birthday. My family lives on
          Arnoy, which is a large island north of Skjervoy, a place far north in
          the Troms county of Norway. North of Arnoy there is nothing before the
          North Pole, basically.

          Northern Norway has a wild beauty that keeps on staggering tourists
          who visit the area, and to give you an idea of what it is like up
          there, here are some pictures:
          http://www.skjervoy.kommune.no/slides.php?&showid=491&startslide=0&nf=1

          My family lives in Aarviksand, which is pictured on the last picture.
          Aarviksand is on the north tip of Arnoy, and you have close access to
          both the sea and mountains.

          What I would like to do is to - as an experiment - videoblog from my
          trip from Tromso to Arnoy and my stay on Arnoy. While being in the
          middle of Nowhere, I would like to communicate with people worldwide,
          and to stream video content for people to see in Portland, or India,
          or Sydney.

          The biggest reason for me doing something like this is to Show people
          in the North of Norway that they can be connected with the world; that
          they can also be a part of the Knowledge Economy. Today, Northern
          Norway is rather backwards, and due to fishing quotas being reduced
          and general lower harvest of fish (due to over-fishing by Russian
          trawlers in the past, for instance), people from Northern Norway have
          often this sense of apathy and hopelessness.

          Being born in Hammerfest, the most northern lying city in the world
          even further north from Arnoy, I hold Northern Norway dear, and I want
          to bring something back to the area of my youth.

          Technical needs: A laptop, a 3G network card for the laptop, being in
          an area where Netcom (www.netcom.no) has installed stations for
          sending 3G signals.

          I am planning to make this a publicized event, and I will work towards
          sponsorship from among others Netcom. I am also thinking how we can
          package this project so that it does not merely be me visiting my
          mother to honor her on her 50th birthday. Several Norwegian
          politicians are invited to come, and it could be fun - being a youth
          politician myself - to interview for instance my cousin, who is a
          profiled member of the Norwegian parliament, as well as others who
          might come.

          Ok, the above has just been me thinking aloud about the possibilities
          here. One of my greatest concerns regarding videoblogging is how to
          stop it from being merely for the geeks or the video editors. We need
          to spread it to the hoarding masses, and if we can do that before some
          huge telecom company (;) @ www.telenor.com) does it, it would be
          great.

          Comments? Ideas? Is this feasible?

          What would be superduper fun if we could create a collage of movies
          from around the world: Norway, Italy, USA, Nepal, Cambodia, Egypt...
          collected on the days of July 15th-17th 2005.

          Best regards,

          Raymond M. Kristiansen
          blog: http://dltq.blogs.com

          On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:56:03 +0200, Deirdre Straughan
          <deirdre.straughan@...> wrote:
          > I doubt I can make it to Portland in July, but how about doing
          > something in cooperation with a remote location, e.g. Milan? We just
          > might have some fun stuff to show off.
        • Michael Sullivan
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
            YES! This is definately something I support.
            Damn, things are moving fast. All these ideas I got floating around
            in my brain....
            Come flowing out of others in the world. That makes it easy ;-)

            Seriously though, this sounds great. If interested in my related idea
            on this, which is idle at the moment, take a look at
            http://artistjoint.com/core/about
            Albeit, The Artist Joint Project has most recently been a more
            structured concept for cityscape embedding and cross-city
            collaborations.... I also want it to co-exist with the 'loose'
            drippings of expression for anyone, any form of art.

            Anyway, thanks for the alert. Howabout ARTCAST HOTEL? still not fond
            of podcast to encompass all things digitally delivered.

            sull

            On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:57:07 -0000, Eric Rice <eric@...> wrote:

            > Hi folks,
            >
            > I'm re-posting this on behalf of my colleague Alex Williams from Corante. He's putting
            > together a very cool thing called "Podcast Hotel", which is set in this re-styled retro hotel,
            > where rooms are being vacated of beds and transformed into session rooms. There's a
            > stage-like thing in the courtyard. He's also putting much effort into the getting strong
            > videoblogging representation, and has asked me to emcee a videoblog showcase/festival
            > of sorts, of which I'm honored to host.
            >
            > There will be more conversation about this as the weeks go on, especially on figuring out
            > how to get folks who aren't able to make it to Portland to be as present as possible.
            >
            > Feel free to e-mail either Alex (alex@corante) or myself (eric@ericrice) with questions. I
            > hope everyone has a chance to take part. Cuz ya know, west coast in July? mmmm mmm
            > good.
            >
            > -Eric
            >
            > Here's his original post:
            >
            > --
            >
            > Hi, all -- We're doing the Podcast Hotel, July 15-17. Julian, Harold --
            > that's exactly what we want to do. Create an event at a hotel that
            > doesn't just take place in Portland, Or., but in London, NYC, etc. We're
            > just getting info up about what we are trying to achieve. You can see it
            > at: www.corante.com/podcasting. More info to come soon. The idea is to
            > turn the hotel into a studio. Get on bikes and podcast. Turn rooms into
            > studios. Play music and podcast it. Make Portland and the world our
            > stage. Have a heck of a good time. But also make it a great discussion
            > with topics that range from "how to," to "think future," kind of talk.
            >
            > The goal is to create. Create podcasts. Create videoblogs. And explore
            > how we can broaden the scope of what we are doing by providing a space
            > for artists, geeks, hobbyists, musicians, writers, journalists, marketers and
            > anyone else.

            ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
            i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
            =====================
          • Adam Quirk
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
              This is incredibly good timing for me, as I'll be in Seattle that
              week. I'll definitely head over to Portland on one of these days.
              That's only about 2.5 hour drive, right?

              Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

              -Adam Quirk
              bullemhead.com
            • MICA
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                so I am responding to something I saw in this thread but conceptually
                relative to the 'Blast from the past '
                why not let these threads cross over, its all one big blob im my head
                anyways. Nothing in the brain gets seperated into such neat little
                threads, so.. I say, more deconstruction of threads! I feel
                positively anarchistic now.
                Now where was I going with this?
                Oh.
                A little gripe:

                'Artists Joint' http://artistjoint.com/core/about is yet another
                'unfinished area'
                I have recently noticed a whole crop of these sites meant to be
                'communities' or 'social spaces' for videobloggers and co.. While
                some of them are nicely designed and have some sucinct yet vague text
                about technology and community and the like, they all are empty,
                skeletal, there's no content in any of them. So as a content maker, I
                have no reason for wanting to put my work (or be linked) there. Some
                tell me that they will provide platform or connections to other
                outlets, but all of these things seem moot to me when I already have a
                platform (we know from our stats and comments that we have a pretty
                good viewership - ) with my blog that can link and be linked, and
                there's no login/passowrd for people who stumble upon it, there's no
                'joining' or requirement that you tell me anything about you. The
                most effective communities, on and off the internet develops
                organically.

                The whole of the internet is our community. this is the tip of the
                iceberg on this subject, I know but I would like to just get this one
                started..

                Anybody else want to talk about these kind of sites and developing
                actual and virtual, artifical and organic communities?

                I promise I'll be more lucid, when not writing from the office.

                --
                Mica Scalin
                Hello?
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                  I want to talk about it.

                  I ventured over the My Spaces this afternoon to take a look at the
                  Proctor High School students who are being "banned access from school
                  computers to an Internet site that students have been using to post to
                  weblogs, or blogs."

                  "Principal Chris Sousa said the decision to block the site from school
                  was made because blogging is not an educational use of school
                  computers".

                  But I had to register to see anything. then I figured I'd add some info
                  to my profile so it wasn't empty, but hadn't I already done this at two
                  or three other community sites that I don't ever go to anymore?

                  Yes.

                  Then I got an invitation to try out Yahoo! 360, yet another of the same
                  community, with yet another profile to fill out. On that one I just
                  put in my website link and told them to go over there to see my info.

                  So I agree that the Internet it ours and we just need a better
                  nonproprietary way to organize it.

                  I think the big thinkers call it a folksonomy. I'm sure they will
                  chime in.
                  --Steve
                  http://stevegarfield.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                    I know, Mica. I think alot of people just have ideas and maybe not a
                    ton of time to properly follow-through. It takes a fucking load of
                    time to do anything. You need a team and many hours of dedication.

                    For me, If I have an idea in my head, I usually need to get it out,
                    eventually, if I feel it might be worth pursuing. The web and web
                    pages are often a canvas of thought for me. No different than a
                    notepad and pen. The more I construct an idea in the form of a web
                    page, the more real it gets... and the more the idea can evolve... for
                    me. Plus, I cant always focus on one frame of mind, so i break up the
                    mundane thought processes with a little interface and graphic design
                    work... just to keep me sane.
                    I dont normally prmote any page I put up because I know its just
                    that... a page.. and not something ready for groups of people to use.

                    I mentioned the artistjoint page just for the description of what I
                    was thinking of doing... certainly not to invite anyone to use that
                    site... I dont even use ;-)

                    I am working on something else that may qualify to be worthy of use.
                    But, I am not going to promote that just yet... for the very creasons
                    and concerns you expressed. But I hope to finsih it in my spare spare
                    time....

                    sull

                    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:42:04 -0500, MICA <contactmica@...> wrote:

                    > so I am responding to something I saw in this thread but conceptually
                    > relative to the 'Blast from the past '
                    > why not let these threads cross over, its all one big blob im my head
                    > anyways. Nothing in the brain gets seperated into such neat little
                    > threads, so.. I say, more deconstruction of threads! I feel
                    > positively anarchistic now.
                    > Now where was I going with this?
                    > Oh.
                    > A little gripe:
                    >
                    > 'Artists Joint' http://artistjoint.com/core/about is yet another
                    > 'unfinished area'
                    > I have recently noticed a whole crop of these sites meant to be
                    > 'communities' or 'social spaces' for videobloggers and co.. While
                    > some of them are nicely designed and have some sucinct yet vague text
                    > about technology and community and the like, they all are empty,
                    > skeletal, there's no content in any of them. So as a content maker, I
                    > have no reason for wanting to put my work (or be linked) there. Some
                    > tell me that they will provide platform or connections to other
                    > outlets, but all of these things seem moot to me when I already have a
                    > platform (we know from our stats and comments that we have a pretty
                    > good viewership - ) with my blog that can link and be linked, and
                    > there's no login/passowrd for people who stumble upon it, there's no
                    > 'joining' or requirement that you tell me anything about you. The
                    > most effective communities, on and off the internet develops
                    > organically.
                    >
                    > The whole of the internet is our community. this is the tip of the
                    > iceberg on this subject, I know but I would like to just get this one
                    > started..
                    >
                    > Anybody else want to talk about these kind of sites and developing
                    > actual and virtual, artifical and organic communities?
                    >
                    > I promise I'll be more lucid, when not writing from the office.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Mica Scalin
                    > Hello?
                    > http://publicaddress.typepad.com
                    > http://www.micascalin.net

                    ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                    i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                    =====================
                  • Michael Sullivan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                      I have gone through periods thinking these social networking
                      frameworks are great
                      .....and then thinking that they are overkill.

                      and I am not overly impressed with most of them... and because they
                      are commercial ventures, even if not at first they turn out to be, it
                      starts to become a mad mess of content and advertisements.

                      maybe I should create the first anti-social networking platform ;-)

                      I am curious to know what members of this group think about virtual
                      community sites and what aspects are needed verses the overkill
                      features.
                      It's a good discussion to be having.

                      sull

                      On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:06:57 -0500, Steve Garfield
                      <steve@...> wrote:

                      > I want to talk about it.
                      >
                      > I ventured over the My Spaces this afternoon to take a look at the
                      > Proctor High School students who are being "banned access from school
                      > computers to an Internet site that students have been using to post to
                      > weblogs, or blogs."
                      >
                      > "Principal Chris Sousa said the decision to block the site from school
                      > was made because blogging is not an educational use of school
                      > computers".
                      >
                      > But I had to register to see anything. then I figured I'd add some info
                      > to my profile so it wasn't empty, but hadn't I already done this at two
                      > or three other community sites that I don't ever go to anymore?
                      >
                      > Yes.
                      >
                      > Then I got an invitation to try out Yahoo! 360, yet another of the same
                      > community, with yet another profile to fill out. On that one I just
                      > put in my website link and told them to go over there to see my info.
                      >
                      > So I agree that the Internet it ours and we just need a better
                      > nonproprietary way to organize it.
                      >
                      > I think the big thinkers call it a folksonomy. I'm sure they will
                      > chime in.
                      > --Steve
                      > http://stevegarfield.com
                      >
                      > On Mar 29, 2005, at 2:42 PM, MICA wrote:
                      >
                      > > The whole of the internet is our community. this is the tip of the
                      > > iceberg on this subject, I know but I would like to just get this one
                      > > started..
                      > >
                      > > Anybody else want to talk about these kind of sites and developing
                      > > actual and virtual, artifical and organic communities?

                      ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                      i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                      =====================
                    • joel
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                        none nada zilch

                        joel
                        joelart.blogspot.com

                        "Extreme emotions of any kind - the very thing that morning pages are superb for processing - are the usual triggers for avoiding the pages themselves. (p.80)"

                        wrote:

                        > I want to talk about it.
                        >
                        > I ventured over the My Spaces this afternoon to take a look at the
                        > Proctor High School students who are being "banned access from school
                        > computers to an Internet site that students have been using to post to
                        > weblogs, or blogs."
                        >
                        > "Principal Chris Sousa said the decision to block the site from school
                        > was made because blogging is not an educational use of school
                        > computers".
                        >
                        > But I had to register to see anything. then I figured I'd add some info
                        > to my profile so it wasn't empty, but hadn't I already done this at two
                        > or three other community sites that I don't ever go to anymore?
                        >
                        > Yes.
                        >
                        > Then I got an invitation to try out Yahoo! 360, yet another of the same
                        > community, with yet another profile to fill out. On that one I just
                        > put in my website link and told them to go over there to see my info.
                        >
                        > So I agree that the Internet it ours and we just need a better
                        > nonproprietary way to organize it.
                        >
                        > I think the big thinkers call it a folksonomy. I'm sure they will
                        > chime in.
                        > --Steve
                        > http://stevegarfield.com
                        >
                        > On Mar 29, 2005, at 2:42 PM, MICA wrote:
                        >
                        > > The whole of the internet is our community. this is the tip of the
                        > > iceberg on this subject, I know but I would like to just get this one
                        > > started..
                        > >
                        > > Anybody else want to talk about these kind of sites and developing
                        > > actual and virtual, artifical and organic communities?

                        ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                        i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Do you Yahoo!?

                      • Joshua Kinberg
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                          What you said here is pretty interesting, Steve.
                          Why should you need any more of an online profile than your blog.
                          Afterall, that is probably the best and fullest representation of your
                          digital self. You should be able to simply put in your blog URL in a
                          lot of these things and already be registered. Or, for that matter,
                          these services could already know you by crawling your blog and
                          autodiscovering what you've already decided to share about yourself.

                          This seems to be one of the goals of things like FOAF, XFN, Technorati
                          Tags, Andreas's HTML MetaProfile for Blogs, and other semantic markup
                          projects... all very fascinating, mostly because it can only happen
                          from the bottom up.

                          -Josh

                          On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:49:55 -0800 (PST), joel <jcarner67@...> wrote:
                          > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:06:57 -0500, Steve Garfield
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I want to talk about it.
                          > >
                          > > I ventured over the My Spaces this afternoon to take a look at the
                          > > Proctor High School students who are being "banned access from school
                          > > computers to an Internet site that students have been using to post to
                          > > weblogs, or blogs."
                          > >
                          > > "Principal Chris Sousa said the decision to block the site from school
                          > > was made because blogging is not an educational use of school
                          > > computers".
                          > >
                          > > But I had to register to see anything. then I figured I'd add some info
                          > > to my profile so it wasn't empty, but hadn't I already done this at two
                          > > or three other community sites that I don't ever go to anymore?
                          > >
                          > > Yes.
                          > >
                          > > Then I got an invitation to try out Yahoo! 360, yet another of the same
                          > > community, with yet another profile to fill out. On that one I just
                          > > put in my website link and told them to go over there to see my info.
                          > >
                          > > So I agree that the Internet it ours and we just need a better
                          > > nonproprietary way to organize it.
                          > >
                          > > I think the big thinkers call it a folksonomy. I'm sure they will
                          > > chime in.
                          > > --Steve
                          > > http://stevegarfield.com
                          > >
                          > > On Mar 29, 2005, at 2:42 PM, MICA wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > The whole of the internet is our community. this is the tip of the
                          > > > iceberg on this subject, I know but I would like to just get this one
                          > > > started..
                          > > >
                          > > > Anybody else want to talk about these kind of sites and developing
                          > > > actual and virtual, artifical and organic communities?

                          > ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                          > i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • MICA
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                            > I am curious to know what members of this group think about virtual
                            > community sites and what aspects are needed verses the overkill
                            > features.

                            Why not the other way around.
                            How about you (and anyone else looking to build such platforms) tell
                            us why we need them.
                            Make a really convincing case of it.
                            Tell me who you're 'audience' would be and why they're going to
                            want/need to 'hang out' there.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                              I dont think anyone *needs* anything more than what they themselves
                              want out of everything and anything ;-)

                              Honestly, I think social networks have a benefit for some niche
                              markets where a persons profile and their acquaintances are crucial to
                              the creation of a trusted network. This type of environment is
                              beneficial to Career and Job finding and the Dating/Matchmaking
                              market... and it seems that kids really like this stuff as well...

                              For me, my primary interest in having a group of people become actual
                              users of some hypothetical site is for artistic collaborations on
                              digital media projects.. or maybe strike 'digital' as that *may*
                              exclude some areas I am also interested in.
                              First and foremost, I am about the art that can come out of people,
                              especially via collaborating and contributing to the remix culture.
                              Deep profiles would have a benefit here as well, but I dont think it
                              would be necessary to store everything about yourself in this
                              hypothetical environment.
                              Like Steve sais... if you have a site/blog, that should be enough. I
                              like that idea.

                              However, registering for usernames helps keep a structure for a
                              project and associating media elements to a user... and so on.
                              Registering a username allows technology to do its job better...
                              whether it is to better communicate, collaborate, organize, manage or
                              understand the relationships of a user base.
                              I believe in simple reg processes, where all that is needed is a
                              username, preferred passwd and pref an email address.

                              It's important to connect to the blogoshpere, no matter what. But
                              that doesnt always entail the dredging of your 'self' into a yet
                              another profile on some site.
                              You should be able to create your own space, somewhere. maybe
                              tagging/categorizing your 'space' is enough to allow others to find
                              and discover you. And therefor maybe Fuck the FOAF.

                              Ok, your turn.

                              On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:36:41 -0500, MICA <contactmica@...> wrote:

                              > > I am curious to know what members of this group think about virtual
                              > > community sites and what aspects are needed verses the overkill
                              > > features.
                              >
                              > Why not the other way around.
                              > How about you (and anyone else looking to build such platforms) tell
                              > us why we need them.
                              > Make a really convincing case of it.
                              > Tell me who you're 'audience' would be and why they're going to
                              > want/need to 'hang out' there.
                              >

                              > --
                              > Mica Scalin
                              > Hello?
                              > http://publicaddress.typepad.com
                              > http://www.micascalin.net

                              ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                              i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                              =====================
                            • karmagrrrl
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                                One of the reasons i don't like them is because their is the
                                constraint of being under an umbrella. It's like hopping from building
                                to building, knocking on the door, and introducing myself over and
                                over again hoping someone will talk to me. I rather host the party
                                myself, at least then I know people come because they want to see me.

                                Love aggregators - technorati, del.icio.us, ant, mefeedia, they send
                                out invitations to my site while doing their own thing... feels more
                                democratic. the others feel like new versions of old systems...

                                Zadi
                                http://smashface.com/vlog
                              • Michael Sullivan
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                                  Ideally, your blog host would take on the roll of 'social network' .
                                  This is the angle I am working on. In essence, you "host the party"
                                  and are part of a bigger network. This is done, but not well enough,
                                  in my opinion.

                                  btw, I enjoy your vlog, Zadi.

                                  sull

                                  On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:34:08 -0000, karmagrrrl <zadidiaz@...> wrote:

                                  > One of the reasons i don't like them is because their is the
                                  > constraint of being under an umbrella. It's like hopping from building
                                  > to building, knocking on the door, and introducing myself over and
                                  > over again hoping someone will talk to me. I rather host the party
                                  > myself, at least then I know people come because they want to see me.
                                  >
                                  > Love aggregators - technorati, del.icio.us, ant, mefeedia, they send
                                  > out invitations to my site while doing their own thing... feels more
                                  > democratic. the others feel like new versions of old systems...
                                  >
                                  > Zadi
                                  > http://smashface.com/vlog

                                  ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                                  i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                                  =====================
                                • Deirdre Straughan
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 29, 2005
                                    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:42:04 -0500, MICA <contactmica@...> wrote:

                                    > Anybody else want to talk about these kind of sites and developing
                                    > actual and virtual, artifical and organic communities?
                                    >
                                    > I promise I'll be more lucid, when not writing from the office.

                                    I'll be more lucid someday when I've actually had some sleep (!@#$@#$
                                    neighbors' dogs!), but here goes...

                                    Vibrant communities seem to develop where least expected, rather than
                                    where site hosts, business developers, etc. wish they might. This
                                    group is a very vibrant community which has passively resisted several
                                    attempts to siphon off membership - some of us have joined the various
                                    new communities offered, and maybe some of those are also thriving (I
                                    wouldn't know - don't have time for more than this one).

                                    It's hard to artificially create a good community. Having a shared
                                    passion, as we do with videoblogging, obviously gets things rolling.
                                    But that hasn't stopped us from veering off into politics and other
                                    discussions, agreement and disagreement, as should exist in any good
                                    community. I like that this group is not afraid of dissent, and that
                                    every topic so far raised has been considered fair game by at least
                                    some of us. Perhaps that's because videoblogging is itself a political
                                    and social act, as well as a creative and technical process, whether
                                    or not any particular video is overtly political.

                                    As a marketer, sure, I'd be thrilled to be able to capture the energy
                                    and participation level of this group (or any like it) and harness
                                    that for commercial purposes. However, I think the chances are pretty
                                    slim. Unless I can offer something substantially better than this,
                                    equally accessible to everybody in this group, and somehow get the
                                    bulk of members to sign up together. And can accomplish all that
                                    without making people feel as if I'm trying to own their souls. If I
                                    can come up with anything that does all that, you'll certainly hear
                                    about it - but don't hold your breath. <grin>

                                    --
                                    best regards,
                                    Deirdré Straughan
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 31, 2005
                                      On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:23:14 -0500, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > What you said here is pretty interesting, Steve.
                                      > Why should you need any more of an online profile than your blog.
                                      > Afterall, that is probably the best and fullest representation of your
                                      > digital self. You should be able to simply put in your blog URL in a
                                      > lot of these things and already be registered. Or, for that matter,
                                      > these services could already know you by crawling your blog and
                                      > autodiscovering what you've already decided to share about yourself.

                                      I'm with you two on this one. Something like...

                                      > This seems to be one of the goals of things like FOAF, XFN, Technorati
                                      > Tags, Andreas's HTML MetaProfile for Blogs, and other semantic markup
                                      > projects... all very fascinating, mostly because it can only happen
                                      > from the bottom up.

                                      Something like a FOAF profile, with a syntax that normal people can write.
                                      Dare I say it could be done in HTML? Along with a HTML meta profile for
                                      blogs you could link to a "profile" HTML page (or embed the profile
                                      directly on your blog's front page). Along with an XFN blogroll it could
                                      be quite useful.

                                      The HTML profile page could look a lot like hCards with FOAF-like values.

                                      Someone ping the lazyweb!

                                      - Andreas
                                      --
                                      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                                    • MICA
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 1, 2005
                                        Exactly, seems like all these tools for linking and otherwise creating
                                        networks are already available to anyone savy enough to build a blog.

                                        People can maintain an autonomy and control over their 'spaces' and
                                        still connect themselves to larger communities without having to join
                                        a service. So, again, I want to see that the people building
                                        networking platforms have really thought through their purpose. Go
                                        into it with an understanding that this is no longer a NEW idea, when
                                        people can make their own networks quite simply. What is this
                                        particular platform providing to its users, that they cannot get
                                        elsewhere? I guess this is related to some of the other threads about
                                        videobloggers consideration for their audiences. I do join networks
                                        which provided me with resources that I cannot get otherwise, usually
                                        having to do with a specific content.
                                        Curious to hear from some of the other videobloggers in the group on the subject
                                        of platofrms being built for videobloggers, your relative experiences
                                        perhaps with blogging, or artificial and organic communities on the
                                        net ??