Re: [videoblogging] Ourmedia open for business

  • JD Lasica
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
      > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

      Let us count the ways:

      1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
      Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
      tape recorder or camera.

      2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
      a very user-friendly experience for people.

      3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
      Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
      copyrighted works.

      4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
      about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
      process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

      5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
      new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
      ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
      that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
      recirculate.

      Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
      Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

      There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
      Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
      their already glorious holdings.

      jd

      On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

      > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
      > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
      > Ciao Zac

    • phr33k
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
        Thanks for the Explanation  JD Lasica, NOW I understand & I LIKE!

        Zac
        > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

        Let us count the ways:

        1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
        Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
        tape recorder or camera.

        2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
        a very user-friendly experience for people.

        3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
        Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
        copyrighted works.

        4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
        about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
        process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

        5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
        new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
        ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
        that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
        recirculate.

        Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
        Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

        There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
        Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
        their already glorious holdings.

        jd

        On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

        > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
        > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
        > Ciao Zac

      • Andy Carvin
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
          I'm having some problems w/ the publishing tool on my Mac as well. I
          managed to post one small file with it, but larger files have crashed
          the software. In one case, the software refused to quit, even with a
          force quit attempt, so I had to reboot the computer. Still very
          promising, though....

          ac

          Andy Carvin
          Program Director