Re: [videoblogging] Ourmedia open for business

  • phr33k
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
      Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
      Ciao Zac
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
        > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

        Let us count the ways:

        1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
        Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
        tape recorder or camera.

        2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
        a very user-friendly experience for people.

        3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
        Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
        copyrighted works.

        4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
        about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
        process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

        5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
        new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
        ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
        that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
        recirculate.

        Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
        Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

        There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
        Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
        their already glorious holdings.

        jd

        On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

        > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
        > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
        > Ciao Zac

      • phr33k
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
          Thanks for the Explanation  JD Lasica, NOW I understand & I LIKE!

          Zac
          > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

          Let us count the ways:

          1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
          Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
          tape recorder or camera.

          2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
          a very user-friendly experience for people.

          3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
          Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
          copyrighted works.

          4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
          about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
          process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

          5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
          new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
          ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
          that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
          recirculate.

          Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
          Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

          There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
          Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
          their already glorious holdings.

          jd

          On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

          > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
          > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
          > Ciao Zac

        • Andy Carvin
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
            I'm having some problems w/ the publishing tool on my Mac as well. I
            managed to post one small file with it, but larger files have crashed
            the software. In one case, the software refused to quit, even with a
            force quit attempt, so I had to reboot the computer. Still very
            promising, though....

            ac

            Andy Carvin
            Program Director