Re: [videoblogging] Ourmedia open for business

  • Christopher Weagel
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
      Concerns:

      1) I downloaded the Publishing tool for mac. Clicking on it, it won't
      even launch, it just immediately crashes.

      2) I already have files stored on the internet archive, how do I get
      them to appear at Our Media?

      3) Is there any way that the layout of the sections can cleaned up? The
      list on the videoblog section is a mess, and I can't find a page that
      lists all of the videos in the videoblog section. I just get reverse
      chronological order of recent posts, I think. What am I missing?

      Chris Weagel
      www.human-dog.com

      On Mar 23, 2005, at 1:41 AM, JD Lasica wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > A couple of people have mentioned Ourmedia in passing the past day or
      > two.
      >
      > Just a quick note here to say that:
      >
      > - Ourmedia.org is now officially open for business. We had a rough day
      > yesterday and this morning because of a too-small server, but this
      > afternoon we underwent a server upgrade and it's looking pretty good
      > right now.
      >
      > You'll see several familar videoblog vids on our home page, with more
      > to come.
      >
      > Still some kinks to be worked out with uploading, but we've been
      > getting lots of good vibes and great buzz -- oh, and we signed  up
      > 2,000 members in two days.
      >
      > - Also: *We need moderators!!* We already have several members of the
      > videoblogging list (Jay, Ryan, Raymond, Michael) who have volunteered
      > to serve as moderators. But we weren't prepared for the immediate
      > large influx of members.
      >
      > So if any of you have any time at all during the week or on weekends
      > to spare, let us know. No pay, but you'll have our undying gratitude,
      > we'll add your name to our staff list, give you admin privileges, and
      > perhaps throw in a swanky T-shirt somewhere down the line. :~)
      >
      > Here is what a moderator does:
      >
      > http://ourmedia.org/help/moderators
      >
      > We're having an IRC chat at 3 pm ET tomorrow (Wednesday) to discuss
      > moderator duties on IRC freenode (#ourmedia), if you'd like to join
      > us.
      >
      > jd lasica
      > co-founder, Ourmedia.org
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
      > <l.gif>

      > Service.

    • JD Lasica
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
        Hi Chris,

        I don't want to clutter up the videoblogging list with Ourmedia bug
        reports, so I've posted your report to our bugs page (where we can
        address them) and answered you there. :~)

        http://ourmedia.org/node/1093

        Thanks for checking us out!!!

        jd

      • phr33k
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
          Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
          Ciao Zac

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
            > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

            Let us count the ways:

            1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
            Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
            tape recorder or camera.

            2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
            a very user-friendly experience for people.

            3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
            Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
            copyrighted works.

            4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
            about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
            process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

            5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
            new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
            ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
            that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
            recirculate.

            Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
            Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

            There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
            Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
            their already glorious holdings.

            jd

            On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

            > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
            > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
            > Ciao Zac

          • phr33k
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
              Thanks for the Explanation  JD Lasica, NOW I understand & I LIKE!

              Zac
              > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

              Let us count the ways:

              1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
              Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
              tape recorder or camera.

              2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
              a very user-friendly experience for people.

              3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
              Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
              copyrighted works.

              4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
              about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
              process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

              5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
              new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
              ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
              that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
              recirculate.

              Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
              Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

              There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
              Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
              their already glorious holdings.

              jd

              On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

              > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
              > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
              > Ciao Zac

            • Andy Carvin
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                I'm having some problems w/ the publishing tool on my Mac as well. I
                managed to post one small file with it, but larger files have crashed
                the software. In one case, the software refused to quit, even with a
                force quit attempt, so I had to reboot the computer. Still very
                promising, though....

                ac

                Andy Carvin
                Program Director