Re: [videoblogging] Digest Number 6243

  • andrew michael baron
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 13, 2013
      I never saw or heard a peep from anyone at Blip about the sale.

      My best guess is that Mike and Dina, et. al. were pushed out of Blip by the investors well before the sale and that none of the original partners made a significant (if any) amount when they left, or from the sale. Blip's history is not credited enough by most people for it's influence on the grand scheme of things.

      Anyone know or care to chime in on the facts of the sale?

      On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Andrew Baron <abaron@...> wrote:
      I removed all of the Rocketboom videos from Blip a few months ago when I heard the news that Maker was buying Blip. I didn't remove them because I don't like Maker, it was something I had been planning to do for a few years.

      I never saw or heard a peep from anyone at Blip about the sale.

      My best guess is that Mike and Dina were pushed out of Blip by the investors well before the sale and that none of the original partners made a dime when they left or from the sale.

      Anyone know or care to chime in on the facts?

      On Oct 12, 2013, at 8:28 AM, videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      2 New Messages

      Digest #6243

      Messages

      Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:55 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      stanhirson

      Time goes by.... I checked my Blip.tv dashboard and saw I had a few left on the system since 2005. Back then Blip.tv seemed like the only host for videos that I integrated in websites. I feel indebted to them for that and for keeping it free when I needed to experiment.

      Odd, though, I never got an email from them. I found out about my "flagged" status through this group. Well, glad that's still intact even if not active!

      I downloaded one video that I was not sure I still had on my system. Moved it up to Vimeo. H'mmm.... what's going to happen to them? Hope they can stay around.

      No doubt there is an interesting archive of videos that are going to be dumped.

      Stan Hirson
      http://PinePlainsViews.com

      ---In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, <davidleeking@...> wrote:

      Just to be fair to the new owners, Blip started down this path when Mike and Dina were still there. I certainly understand a change of direction - but what I never really liked was their approach. Rather than actually sharing that approach proactively with their account holders, they just suddenly started acting like they never really supported videoblogger-type videos.

      It was an odd time. But hey - there's still Youtube, Vimeo ... Vine, Instagram... Facebook ... etc.

      David Lee King | davidleeking.com http://davidleeking.com
      Twitter | Skype | Facebook | davidleeking http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking

      On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM, <zennie@... mailto:zennie@...> wrote:
      Yeah,

      Its Maker Studios, the ones who have managed to sucker some YouTubers into giving them their Google AdSense money.. They bought Blip I wrote this response:http://www.zennie62blog.com/2013/10/08/blip-tv-acquired-by-video-blog-killers-maker-studios-94233/ http://www.zennie62blog.com/2013/10/08/blip-tv-acquired-by-video-blog-killers-maker-studios-94233/

      ---In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com mailto:videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, <videoblogging@yahoogroups.com mailto:videoblogging@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi all, For those that don't do Twitter Blip.tv is getting rid of stand alone, non-series content from the servers. If your account does not meet the web series focus that has been in place for some time then your videos will be deleted November 7, 2013.

      In other words, your account may be flagged for removal. If you want your Blip.tv content from days gone by log into the site and follow the download instructions.

      No use to kick about this; the channel has been sold to new owners who are chasing that web series gold. They don't know us from Adam.

      Keep calm, grab a brewski and download.

      Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:27 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Tim Street" videopodcastman

      I've heard it said that if you aren't paying for a service then YOU are the

      product.

      My guess is that if you, as the product, aren't selling very well there
      will come a time when the shelves get cleaned out of the old product that's
      not moving and replaced with new product that has a better chance of
      selling.

      --
      Tim Street
      1TimStreet.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2013
        Yeah, it's sad that blip.tv has been bought and become something it wasn't. But we all knew it was a distinct possibility.

        I agree with Andrew (which didnt happen a lot in the old days!). Mike, Dina, Charles, Jared, and Justin really help make early videoblogging happen by listening to what we all needed. I would even go so far as to say Youtube actually copied a lot of the innovations that blip spearheaded. Blip had to play the money-making game and that's a tough tough game. I hope the founders got a lot of experience out of their venture and have moved on to other ambitious projects.

        For me, videoblogging has become even more than I dreamed. Online video is now a regular feature of the internet experience. Regular people now post videos as well as just watch. I see videos posted from all over the world each day (war in syria, marches in Russia, cat videos!). The world is becoming closer and richer every year since we can now see and hear each other. It's not necessarily solving the world's problems but at least we're starting to actually define together what the problems may be.

        Remember when even the concept of putting a video online was so difficult?

        > im really enjoying watching/reading all this
        > my first instinct is to jump in and
        > give feedback about what i am seeing
        > in terms of content/structure
        > also eager to try my out own ideas
        > and get your responses
        > but i can be the example of an adverage person
        > honestly it is too difficult for me
        > im lost
        > i dont even feel justifeid in being more than an observer here
        > this weekend i will give my ibook some love
        > and try to figure out a very simple way
        > for someone as utterly clueless as me
        > to put even some very short, low-res moving image s
        > up on internet on a day-to-day basis
        > more than likely ill be very frustrated and
        > need some serious handholding
        > i set my self to this task about a year ago
        > all i did was use 'fetch' to ftp quick time files into my
        > website via my very slo dial up connection
        > it didnt take long to upload and they dont take long to view
        > but never got to a point where i had a system
        > for doing it regularly - click-click click
        > maybe for the time being videoblogging
        > is for the 'geeks' or the more tech savy, lets say.

        Jay

        On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 6:41 PM, andrew michael baron <andrew@...> wrote:

> [...]

        >> this response:

        >> http://www.zennie62blog.com/2013/10/08/blip-tv-acquired-by-video-blog-killers-maker-studios-94233/
        >>

        >> ---In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, <videoblogging@yahoogroups.com>
        >> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi all, For those that don't do Twitter Blip.tv is getting rid of stand
        >> alone, non-series content from the servers. If your account does not meet
        >> the web series focus that has been in place for some time then your videos
        >> will be deleted November 7, 2013.
        >>
        >> In other words, your account may be flagged for removal. If you want your
        >> Blip.tv content from days gone by log into the site and follow the download
        >> instructions.
        >>
        >> No use to kick about this; the channel has been sold to new owners who
        >> are chasing that web series gold. They don't know us from Adam.

      • catflea23
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 14, 2013
          No facts from me... Just opinion...Original Blip.tv should get lots of credit for the way things went. I loved them back in the day and now they employ some old friends, so good is still happening.I'll take down all my stuff, sadly...I still remember at vloggercon when I looked at YouTube and shunned them, blip.tv let me post all my stuff, now it's the opposite.
        • Zenophon Abraham
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 14, 2013
            A vloggercon blast-from-the-past video!  Schlomo Rabinowitz is still active.  Irina Slutsky is in a college master's program in San Francisco and has given up vlogging (I ran into her; she's driving a cab to make money).  And Blip tv as we knew it, is dead:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9rZpG_7Ks

            On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM, <lan@...> wrote:

            No facts from me... Just opinion...Original Blip.tv should get lots of credit for the way things went. I loved them back in the day and now they employ some old friends, so good is still happening.I'll take down all my stuff, sadly...I still remember at vloggercon when I looked at YouTube and shunned them, blip.tv let me post all my stuff, now it's the opposite.

            --
            Zennie Abraham, Jr.:
            Executive Producer: Zennie62.com

            Phone: 510-517-7565

            Websites and blogs:

            http://www.zennie62.com
            http://www.Zennie62Media.net
            http://www.zennie.tv (coming soon)
            http://zennie62blog.com
            http://www.tout.com/zennie62
            http://www.sportsbusinesssims.com
            http://twitter.com/zennie62
            http://www.ustream.tv/user/zennie62

            Plus over 90 blogs and special-purpose sites.

            Social Networks:

            http://www.facebook.com/Zennie.Abraham
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/zennie
            http://friendfeed.com/zennie62
            http://foursquare.com/zennie62
            http://zennie62.hi5.com
            http://www.myspace.com/zennieabraham
            http://www.google.com/profiles/zennie.abraham
            http://plancast.com/zennie62
            http://www.ryze.com/view.php?who=Zennie
            http://www.mediabistro.com/Zennie-Abraham-profile.html
            http://affiliate.kickapps.com/5879/zennie
            http://www.quora.com/Zenophon-Abraham
            http://blip.fm/Zennie62
            http://www.lockerz.com/profile/17960834

            Video and Live Stream Sites:

            http://www.youtube.com/zennie62
            http://qik.com/Zennie62
            http://zennieszeitgeist.blip.tv/
            http://zennie2005.blip.tv/
            http://www.dailymotion.com/zennie62
            http://www.mefeedia.com/feeds/86428/zennie62
            http://ireport.cnn.com/people/zennie62
            http://www.livestream.com/zennie62
            http://www.ustream.tv/user/zennie62

            Widgets:

            http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/zennie-abraham
            Reputation Management Services:
            http://www.sportsbusinesssims.com/sbson.html

            Websites:

            On SFGate.com (SF Chronicle):
            http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail?blogid=95

            On SeattlePI.com (Seattle Post Intelligencer)
            http://blog.seattlepi.com/zennieabraham/bio.asp

            On Examiner.com
            http://www.examiner.com/user-zennie-55

            Executive Producer / Host:
            "The Blog Report With Zennie62" TV Show - CoLoursTV
            http://www.zennie62.com

            On Mediaite:
            http://www.mediaite.com/author/zennie-abraham/

            On Huffington Post:
            http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zennie-abraham-jr

            On Scribd:
            http://www.scribd.com/zennie62

            NOTE: This email message is not for publication without the expressed, written permission of Zennie Abraham in the email itself.
          • lan_bui_com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 15, 2013

              This was posted by me... hrm... I never post and didn't realize it doesn't show my name!!! hahaha... I can't even find the setting to change it!

              - Lan Bui -

              ---In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, <videoblogging@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              No facts from me... Just opinion...Original Blip.tv should get lots of credit for the way things went. I loved them back in the day and now they employ some old friends, so good is still happening.I'll take down all my stuff, sadly...I still remember at vloggercon when I looked at YouTube and shunned them, blip.tv let me post all my stuff, now it's the opposite.
            • Lisa Rein
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 22, 2013
                Hi gang :-)

                I feel like I ask this question every few years, every time I get a new computer...

                But it's that time again; and this time it's for a windows 8 laptop:

                What's the best free video editing software for the PC?:)

                Thx!

                Lisa
              • Tim Street
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 23, 2013
                  Take a look at WeVideo.com

                  Tim Street
                  @1TimStreet

                  On Oct 22, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Lisa Rein <lisa@...> wrote:

                  Hi gang :-)

                  I feel like I ask this question every few years, every time I get a new computer...

                  But it's that time again; and this time it's for a windows 8 laptop:

                  What's the best free video editing software for the PC?:)

                  Thx!

                  Lisa

                • Trine Berry
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8 3:14 AM
                    Hi Andrew, everyone,

                    Blip's history is not credited enough by most people for it's influence on the grand scheme of things.

                    I'm trying to do exactly that in my phd thesis which is nearing completion. Blip was so important but there's very little information available about it.

                    I would love to hear from you (and others) about what made blip special to the videoblogging community. It would be an oral history of sorts, which is sometimes as rich and interesting as a traditional history - especially when told by those actually involved.

                    Many thanks

                    Trine

                    Sent from my iPhone

                  • compumavengal
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 10 7:29 PM
                      This is based on what I remember which ain't worth the cost of bad coffee but...

                      YouTube was the wild west...people were slapping everything up to the service with no thought or filter. It was pieces of porn (quickly yanked down but still available), music videos, talking head videos via web cam and everything in-between. We forget just how different YouTube was before it was purchased by Google.

                      I know I had issues with it because at the beginning stages the terms of service was written to imply you didn't necessarily have copyright over your work. That was a deterrent to many people.

                      I don't mean to make a value judgement about how crazy the videos were being uploaded; crazy can be good. What was bad was the noxious comments. Really hate filled stuff. Many folks stayed away because they did not want to deal or be associated with YT comments and the trolls that loved them.

                      In the beginning of Blip TV there was a form of civility. Folks were not looking for a quick hit. There was not pressure to do so. I think early Blip TV matched many of the stated goals of non-talking head creators of trying something different.

                      Gena

                    • Jen Proctor
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 11 7:35 AM
                        Congratulations to all you videobloggers indeed! It changed my life and my video practice, and even changed that of my students, after I got to teach a videoblogging class at the University of Iowa.

                        To Trine's question, my recollection is that at the time, YouTube's flash video conversion was ugly - it just didn't look good - and Blip was one of the few reliable places that would allow you to upload and embed a file of your choice (with your own compression standards). It was more of a technical/aesthetic concern. YouTube was just regarded as sub-par, and it's funny, even though YouTube is now quite excellent, I still harbor that disdain and reluctance to post there. Ha.

                        Blip, of course, was also very communicative with our community and responded quickly and helpfully to support, so in a lot of ways, they were directly involved with the growth and health of the videoblogging movement. We knew them personally - they came to Vloggercon - and so they developed a loyalty among vloggers.

                        I'm excited to read your work when you're done, Trine!

                        Jen
                      • GABRIEL GMAIL
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 11 8:09 AM
                          Hi everyone,

                          Just the same with me on 2 points :
                          I have a class, or a workshop in my university in which we practice videoblogging ( 8 to 10 productions each year).

                          As for bliptv, same : it was the only one that welcomed us…

                          Gabriel

[...]

                        • Chad Boeninger
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 11 8:11 AM
                            Blip also offered automatic cross-posting to your blog, iTunes, and other video hosts such as YouTube.  For the stats nerds out there, Blip was way ahead of the game with views, engagements, and other statistics.  You could upload your own video thumbnail, and later scrub to a point in the video to choose a frame for the thumbnail (features only available to YouTube pro accounts now).  As Jen said, the encoding was much better at Blip.  You could also post videos to Blip via email, which I did from my old school Palm Treo way back in 2005.  Finally,   I always appreciated, much like I still do with Vimeo, that there were actual people working there, rather than just the Google Machine.

                            On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Jen Proctor proctorjen@... [videoblogging] <videoblogging@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                            Chad F. Boeninger
                            libraryvoice.com
                            twitter.com/cfboeninger
                          • trine
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 8, 2014
                              thanks all, I've made a note of all this.most helpful :)

                              @trine