BlipTV to Get Rid of Old Vlogger Content

  • compumavengal
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2013
      Hi all, For those that don't do Twitter Blip.tv is getting rid of stand alone, non-series content from the servers. If your account does not meet the web series focus that has been in place for some time then your videos will be deleted November 7, 2013.

      In other words, your account may be flagged for removal. If you want your Blip.tv content from days gone by log into the site and follow the download instructions.

      No use to kick about this; the channel has been sold to new owners who are chasing that web series gold. They don't know us from Adam.

      Keep calm, grab a brewski and download.
    • zennie62

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2013
              Just to be fair to the new owners, Blip started down this path when Mike and Dina were still there. I certainly understand a change of direction - but what I never really liked was their approach. Rather than actually sharing that approach proactively with their account holders, they just suddenly started acting like they never really supported videoblogger-type videos.

              It was an odd time. But hey - there's still Youtube, Vimeo ... Vine, Instagram... Facebook ... etc.

              David Lee King | davidleeking.com
              Twitter | Skype | Facebook | davidleeking

              On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM, <zennie@...> wrote:

[...]

            • stanhirson
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 11, 2013

                Time goes by....  I checked my Blip.tv dashboard and saw I had a few left on the system since 2005.  Back then Blip.tv seemed like the only host for videos that I integrated in websites.  I feel indebted to them for that and for keeping it free when I needed to experiment.

                Odd, though, I never got an email from them.  I found out about my "flagged" status through this group.  Well, glad that's still intact even if not active!

                I downloaded one video that I was not sure I still had on my system.  Moved it up to Vimeo.  H'mmm.... what's going to happen to them?  Hope they can stay around.

                No doubt there is an interesting archive of videos that are going to be dumped.

                Stan Hirson

                http://PinePlainsViews.com

                ---In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, <davidleeking@...> wrote:

[...]

              • Tim Street
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2013
                  I've heard it said that if you aren't paying for a service then YOU are the product.

                  My guess is that if you, as the product, aren't selling very well there will come a time when the shelves get cleaned out of the old product that's not moving and replaced with new product that has a better chance of selling.

                  --
                  Tim Street
                • compumavengal
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 12, 2013

                    Well,hmmm. Yes, I am not a viable commodity for MakerStudio/Blip.tv  The thing is I'm not a product. Never was or wanted to be. I wanted to share my experiences living in this space and time. Sometimes it involved recording poets, sometimes it was personal or exploring an event. So yes, my life isn't worth a plug nickle.

                    I shouldn't say that. They turned on the ad roll and I earned 47 cents.

                    They can have it.

                    I was a former Pro level Blip.tv users as well as freebie person. The relationship was waning when it was made clear that they wanted to go to a web series distribution system. Now that Kevin Spacey has given his blessing everybody and their cousin that has a video web hosting site has to give it consideration.

                    I understand that. For the time being the independents are still welcomed at Vimeo and YouTube. But for how long?

                    I agree about owning your own stuff and distribution. Not everybody can do that. What it might mean is that independents might need to give cash money to the Internet Archive to make sure independent work is archived and protected.

                    Gena,

                    still rambling out on the stoop.