Re: about livestreaming

  • Flux@Fluxview.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2012
      LIVE STREAMING IS EGO CRACK. KNOW THAT BEFORE YOU START AND YOU MIGHT GET OUT OF IT OK.

      Last winter I wrote up this guideline for folks wanting to get into streaming based on my experience with occupy wall street streaming with GlobalRevolution.tv
      http://mobilebroadcastnews.com/NewsRoom/Forum/How-Set-Live-Streaming-Cell

      I had been streaming events occasionally prior to OWS but last fall I got to try alot of configurations. I can not speak on the financial costs of using these platforms because I was given ad free accounts with all these companies as they vied for the newly found indie journalist streaming market.

      Since then things have changed a little.

      LIVESTREAM
      hada great platform. the Event structure of the "new" livestream ... sucks. you can't embed "new" livestream and viewers have to register with the site just to watch. I have a grandfathered add free old livestream account. that I use to display multi camera and event streams. It's good for this but the last event I did the archive did not record the livestream generated lower 3rds so I have 4 hours of endless nameless speakers instead of a well produced show.

      Livestream lost a lot of ground early on to Ustream because they failed to come out with a cell phone app until very recently and now they have an iPhone app but no android.

      Livestream Procaster is quite handy for screen caping presentations or mixing multiple streams to one channel.

      USTREAM
      Hasthe bulk of the cell phone streaming market. It is easy to use for iPhone or Android and has all the basic social media integration built in. They are constantly making "improvements" some of which are actual improvements for the user and some of which are solely meant to address their bottom line. I use to use Ustream but during the Occupy Wall St anniversary weekend the audio from my ustream feed disappeared and has never returned. I now use Bambuser with the same phone and have no issues.

      Ustream has also had issues of archived videos being deleted, scrambled feeds, dropping connections etc etc.. these issues seem to occur consistently at "the worst possible time".

      BAMBUSER
      ismore widely used outside of the US. In war zones and low bandwidth areas. The quality I believe is equal.. the interface has less bells an whistles than Ustream but so far has not given me any real problems and seems to have everything you really need. The on screen interface for Bambuser is much easier to read and provides more information to the streamer than Ustream. It is just as easy to use for iPhone or Android.

      Another program you might want to look into is XSPLIT. this allows you great flexibility to combine text, streams, youtubes, screen caps, live cams etc into one stream and then send that combined stream to multiple outlets (ustream,livestream, bambuser, justintv, blog tv) xSplit currently only runs on PCs. http://www.xsplit.com/

      Solidarity,
      ~ FluxRostrum

      Current Project
      http://MobileBroadcastNews.com
      Home Base
      http://Fluxview.com

    • neophoto3000
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 2012
        Thanks for the rundown, Flux!

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Flux@... wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > BAMBUSER
        > ismore widely used outside of the US. In war zones and low bandwidth areas. The quality I believe is equal.. the interface has less bells an whistles than Ustream but so far has not given me any real problems and seems to have everything you really need. The on screen interface for Bambuser is much easier to read and provides more information to the streamer than Ustream. It is just as easy to use for iPhone or Android.
        >
        > Another program you might want to look into is XSPLIT. this allows you great flexibility to combine text, streams, youtubes, screen caps, live cams etc into one stream and then send that combined stream to multiple outlets (ustream,livestream, bambuser, justintv, blog tv) xSplit currently only runs on PCs. http://www.xsplit.com/

      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2012
          This really annoys me too, and we (Internet Society Chapters) pay $3500/yr.

          On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM, <Flux@...> wrote:
          > the archive did not record the livestream generated lower 3rds so I have 4 hours of endless nameless speakers instead of a well produced show.

          Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
          WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
          -