Re: [videoblogging] What's everyone up to?

  • Ru Howe
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
      Hi everybody!

      My heart always leaps when I see emails from the Yahoo Videoblogging group.
      You've played such a pivotal part in the last few years of my life.
      I got back into it a little in July/August when I was off work with
      pneumonia. Got all reinspired by Clintus's daily vlogging on Youtube, which
      you should all check out at http://youtube.com/clintus/

      But then I went back to work and as usual it gets prioritised behind work
      and family.

      But even doing a few vids a year builds up over time.

      When I joined this group, I was working for my dad's aluminium company and
      had walked away from tv after my first directing job because my heart
      wasn't in it.
      This group reawakened my love of film and videomaking - and as a direct
      result of what I started learning here I now have an amazing job managing
      workflows and technology for the BBC's in house edit facility in Bristol.
      So I've gone from 30 second vlogs shot and cut and posted on my Nokia to
      Natural History shows that shoot 2000 hours of 5k RED over 3 years. And at
      one level, it's all the same thing!

      We can't delete the group. There's a lot of material and discussion here
      that will be useful to researchers in the future. And might be good for a
      video retrospective in a couple of years. For the TEN YEAR anniversary.
      Jesus, that thought makes me feel old.

      Anyway, it's almost November. And you know what that means.

      On Sunday, 14 October 2012, Adam Warner wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Great to see so many of us still active on this list:) I still enjoy
      > videoblogging, but these days it's mostly personal stuff to keep in touch
      > with family around the world. I did run a Memorial DVD business with the
      > video skills and tips I learned from the group, but I closed that business
      > several years ago (24 turn around time for grieving families took it's
      > physical and emotional toll).
      >
      > As you may recall, I was also the guy posting a lot of WordPress related
      > stuff to the list and I'm happy to say that I still work with WP every day.
      > I work as the Enterprise Sales Manager for ManageWP.com as well as still
      > take on longer term WP development work when time allows. I've also created
      > and marketed several WP-related digital products, the most recent and
      > notable being the FooBox plugin found here: http://getfoobox.com
      >
      > That said, if anyone here on the list has a need (or your company or
      > University) to manage multiple WordPress sites, please do have a look at
      > http://managewp.com and contact me personally at adam@...<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'adam%40managewp.com');>
      >
      > Great to hear from you all..and keep on creating video!
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Adam W. Warner
      > http://wpprobusiness.com
      >
      > ________________________________
      > From: Lan Bui <lan@... <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
      > 'lan%40lanbui.com');>>

      - - -
      Rupert Howe
      Production Workflow Consultant
      Support Partners (UK) Ltd

      +44 (0)7525 1234 72
      rupert.howe@...
      http://support-partners.com

      The Legal Stuff

      This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail. Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.

      Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

    • Frank Carver
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
        On 13 October 2012 16:12, Dennis Poulette <Drpoulette@...> wrote:
        > Hey I was just thinking about all you guys today and wondering what you've
        > been up to. This group has been around for a long time, and many have moved
        > on to other things. Just wondering how you're doing.

        Spent a few years where the only videos I made were for vlomo, but now
        I'm back in the saddle again as one of a crew doing volunteer video
        reports for a local community web tv channel.
        Sometimes as part of a team (
        http://www.a-vision.tv/videos/viewvideo/208/sport-health-and-fitness/sky-ride-2012
        ) and sometimes on my own (
        http://www.a-vision.tv/videos/viewvideo/185/out-and-about/beer-festival-2012
        )

        Personally I am motivated by challenges, which is why I love vlomo
        (and VBW, semanal etc from a few years back). The reporting gig forces
        me to get personal stories and do interviews, which I had kind of
        avoided, so I am making a bunch of mistakes, but learning loads. Just
        like videoblogging in the old days.

        So is anyone else up for vlomo this year?

        Frank.
      • neophoto3000
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
          I continued work on my comedy series Penelope's Pantyhose, built it into something pretty big view-wise but less than spectacular revenue-wise, got bored with it, reinvented it a few times, half-heartedly developed a couple of side projects that fizzled, then moved away from regular YouTube production.

          I directed a handful of fun music videos for my friend Rich Ferguson, a musician and spoken word artist here in LA:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSaYLIg12E
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNe8o35pss
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4taslIGYWzg

          During this time, my mom suffered a long and arduous decline in her health and passed away a year ago April. After that, I experienced a prolonged period of creative block that I'm just now coming out of.

          On the plus side (and there is one)... after digging my heels in as long as I could, I finally gave in and taught myself WordPress. This led to a few decent freelance design jobs.

          And I judged last year's Shriekfest film festival, which was fun.

          Now I've come full circle and am going to give the Penelope show a grand reboot. It may have only generated a trickle of AdSense revenue, but in between web design jobs a trickle is no trifle. I'm bringing the show back to its roots, giving it a more narrative focus, building up the transmedia aspects I'd previously only toyed with and developing an iBooks tie-in (in that, I was inspired by Tim's "Vids" project; prior to seeing his iBook and realizing the format's potential, I'd written off iBooks Author as just a textbook-creation tool).

          Other than that, my biggest news is that I've all but abandoned Yahoo Mail and am now more reachable at chrisburdick@... than I am at the spam-pummeled sbcglobal.net address above.

          Chris

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Poulette" <Drpoulette@...> wrote:

          > Hey I was just thinking about all you guys today and wondering what you've been up to. This group has been around for a long time, and many have moved on to other things. Just wondering how you're doing.

        • Chad Boeninger
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
            Good to hear from everyone. I enjoy seeing emails come up from this group.

            I make a lot of my videos for work using skills that I learned and
            practiced with the help of this group. My family videos have slowed down a
            bit, but maybe with November coming up, I can post something every day in
            November.

            The iPad with iMovie (Pinnacle is even better) makes the workflow a lot
            easier.

            Good to hear from everyone!

            --Chad

            --
            Chad F. Boeninger
            libraryvoice.com

          • compumavengal
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
              I want advance notice if we are going to do Vlomo again. It was great cataloging the 2011 videos on Tumblr but that time zone difference thing like to kill me.

              I know I can't do video for 31 days but maybe a topic based one where folks contribute when they can on a theme. Or do what you were gonna do which is how it works out each year anyway. We could go all cliche like in case of Doomsday or something. Or not.

              It is so good to hear from folks. My day job is seriously interfering with my ability to do and create what I want to do. Planning a transition out to possibly educational media. Taking web classes and soon real world classes on how to do it better.

              Still working on my Create Video Notebook project. I kinda now see it as a magazine type blog for folks wanting to get into web video; what ever that means to the person. It is a imperfect work in progress.

              I want to take the things that we talked about in this group and apply them to the now times. Aesthetics, how-to, copyright, copybots and other stuff.

              I'm going to need an additional 20,000 to get it right. I still record video but have to fight light heck to find time to upload. I want to echo how much info and support I got/get from the group.

              I certainly want to keep an eye on the emergence of book/video hybrids.

              I miss you all but most of you are on Twitter, G+ or Facebook.

              Continued blessing and/or good times.

              Your long winded pal,

              Gena Haskett
              http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
              http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com
              http://twitter.com/GenaHaskett

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Poulette" <Drpoulette@...> wrote:

              > Hey I was just thinking about all you guys today and wondering what you've been up to. This group has been around for a long time, and many have moved on to other things. Just wondering how you're doing.

            • Kath O'Donnell
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
                nice to hear what everyone's up to. I hope the group can remain also. I
                still shoot some video now & then for memory triggers & when away for work
                - some goes online, some just on my computer/backup drives at home. though
                I suppose mostly I've been instagramming lately. I like doing the short
                projects like vlomo/vb-week (even if I don't make it to the end), & the
                activities that arise now & then via Artists in the Cloud. have had a
                couple of turns projecting video art onto warehouse walls at some of the
                projector parties in sydney - lots of fun. would still like to get a little
                projector, maybe even a personal one one day when I can save up.

                kath

              • Joly MacFie
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
                  I completely gave up on my punkcast site and just do YouTube, also less
                  music and more tech talks and book readings etc, Stuff nobody else
                  covers. I keep meaning to wordpress the site but I'm always too busy
                  shooting or editing. Very happy to be HD and tapeless. Also have changed
                  from one camera handheld to multicam and editing. Vegas.

                  My YouTube's on 7.3 million views, and if I add in my stuff on other
                  channels I'm probably around 10 million. http://youtube/user/wwwhatsup

                  I got a part time gig managing global webcasts for the Internet Society.
                  Mmmm $$$!
                  http://bit.ly/isoctv

                  I see interesting things happening with google hangouts on-air.

                  On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Kath O'Donnell <aliak77@...> wrote:

                  > nice to hear what everyone's up to. I hope the group can remain also. I
                  > still shoot some video now & then for memory triggers & when away for work
                  > - some goes online, some just on my computer/backup drives at home. though
                  > I suppose mostly I've been instagramming lately. I like doing the short
                  > projects like vlomo/vb-week (even if I don't make it to the end), & the
                  > activities that arise now & then via Artists in the Cloud. have had a
                  > couple of turns projecting video art onto warehouse walls at some of the
                  > projector parties in sydney - lots of fun. would still like to get a little
                  > projector, maybe even a personal one one day when I can save up.
                  >
                  > kath

                  Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
                  WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
                • Joly MacFie
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
                    Oh, and, I'd be happy to join a fb group if anyone wants to start one..

                    Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
                    WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
                  • Gabriel Soucheyre
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
                      hi there,

                      still going on with vlogging.
                      always one or 2 cameras in my pocket (panasonic & gopro) and shooting.
                      best everyone

                      Le 15 oct. 2012 � 02:27, compumavengal a �crit :

                      > I want advance notice if we are going to do Vlomo again. It was great cataloging the 2011 videos on Tumblr but that time zone difference thing like to kill me.
                      >
                      > I know I can't do video for 31 days but maybe a topic based one where folks contribute when they can on a theme. Or do what you were gonna do which is how it works out each year anyway. We could go all cliche like in case of Doomsday or something. Or not.
                      >
                      > It is so good to hear from folks. My day job is seriously interfering with my ability to do and create what I want to do. Planning a transition out to possibly educational media. Taking web classes and soon real world classes on how to do it better.
                      >
                      > Still working on my Create Video Notebook project. I kinda now see it as a magazine type blog for folks wanting to get into web video; what ever that means to the person. It is a imperfect work in progress.
                      >
                      > I want to take the things that we talked about in this group and apply them to the now times. Aesthetics, how-to, copyright, copybots and other stuff.
                      >
                      > I'm going to need an additional 20,000 to get it right. I still record video but have to fight light heck to find time to upload. I want to echo how much info and support I got/get from the group.
                      >
                      > I certainly want to keep an eye on the emergence of book/video hybrids.
                      >
                      > I miss you all but most of you are on Twitter, G+ or Facebook.
                      >
                      > Continued blessing and/or good times.
                      >
                      > Your long winded pal,
                      >
                      > Gena Haskett
                      > http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
                      > http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com
                      > http://twitter.com/GenaHaskett
                      >
                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Poulette" <Drpoulette@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey I was just thinking about all you guys today and wondering what you've been up to. This group has been around for a long time, and many have moved on to other things. Just wondering how you're doing.

                      Gabriel Soucheyre

                      Universit� Blaise Pascal
                      D�partement des m�tiers de la culture
                      CLERMONT-FERRAND
                      --
                      VIDEOFORMES vid�o et nouveaux m�dias dans l'art contemporain
                      www.videoformes.com

                      Contribuez � la protection de l'environnement, n'imprimez ce mail qu'en cas de n�cessit�
                      Help the environment, print out this e-mail only if you need to.

                    • Juan John Cardenas
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 14, 2012
                        I am still photovideoblogging in my main accounts -specially facebook - twitter ...and occasionally in youtube since it is kinda choppy my ISP connection through VPN n proxies ( I am currently living n working in China mainland - blockage n filters are still ON ) ... I am beginning to post videos in my main website www.cardren.com in spanish and english but I mainly photoblog-everyday in my facebook webpage:::

                        current projects::: planning to re-start my video languages classes series ::: mainly spanish and chinese
                        -ready to participate in vlomo-nablopomo 2012

                        best regards

                        John Dkar = the photovideoblogger

                        chengdu sichuan china

                        feel free to browse around my sites

                        ―- Websites ―�C

                        http://www.cardren.com

                        http://www.youtube.com/JohnDkar

                        http://www.twitwall.com/johndkarfilms

                        http://twitter.com/JohnDkarFilms

                        http://www.facebook.com/johndkarfilms

                        http://wallpapers.cardren.com

                      • Ru Howe
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 15, 2012
                          I hate Facebook with an absolute passion and never use it. But you're
                          probably right. It's the next logical step. I get quite a few emails from
                          Ruud's Videojournalist Facebook group, which serves a similar purpose.

                          One thing though: it must be created by Dedman, otherwise it's not official
                          ;)

                          On 15 October 2012 04:27, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Oh, and, I'd be happy to join a fb group if anyone wants to start one..

                          - - -
                          Rupert Howe
                          Production Workflow Consultant
                          Support Partners (UK) Ltd

                          +44 (0)7525 1234 72
                          rupert.howe@...
                          http://support-partners.com

                          The Legal Stuff

                          This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail. Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.

                          Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

                        • kinshasa2000
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 15, 2012
                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ru Howe <rupert@...> wrote:>
                            > I hate Facebook with an absolute passion and never use it. But you're
                            > probably right. It's the next logical step. I get quite a few emails from
                            > Ruud's Videojournalist Facebook group, which serves a similar purpose.
                            > One thing though: it must be created by Dedman, otherwise it's not official

                            When the time came to choose, I chose Twitter over Facebook.

                            I have no plans to delete the group. We should be more worried about Yahoo going bankrupt. I think someone archived the Videoblogging group by forwarding all messages to another google group. Not sure.

                            When can we just install these computers in our bodies and just do telepathy?

                            Jay
                          • ernmander
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 15, 2012
                              Maybe you should set up a Google+ page instead :)

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ru Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

                              > I hate Facebook with an absolute passion and never use it. But you're
                              > probably right. It's the next logical step. I get quite a few emails from
                              > Ruud's Videojournalist Facebook group, which serves a similar purpose.
                              >
                              > One thing though: it must be created by Dedman, otherwise it's not official
                              > ;)

                              > On 15 October 2012 04:27, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > Oh, and, I'd be happy to join a fb group if anyone wants to start one..

                              > - - -
                              > Rupert Howe
                              > Production Workflow Consultant
                              > Support Partners (UK) Ltd
                              >
                              > +44 (0)7525 1234 72
                              > rupert.howe@...
                              > http://support-partners.com
                              >

                              > The Legal Stuff
                              >
                              > This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail. Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.
                              >
                              > Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

                            • Richard (Show) Hall
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 16, 2012
                                So cool to hear from some of you ... those were the days ...

                                Haven't made any videos for a long time. I'm still doing the professor
                                thing. My real passion these days is writing and playing music with my wife
                                and friends.

                                <http://youtube.com/blisshippy>

                                ... peace ... richard

                                On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 7:02 AM, ernmander <djshabb@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > Maybe you should set up a Google+ page instead :)
                                >

                                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ru Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I hate Facebook with an absolute passion and never use it. But you're
                                > > probably right. It's the next logical step. I get quite a few emails from
                                > > Ruud's Videojournalist Facebook group, which serves a similar purpose.
                                > >
                                > > One thing though: it must be created by Dedman, otherwise it's not
                                > official
                                > > ;)

                                > > On 15 October 2012 04:27, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > **
                                > > >

                                > > > Oh, and, I'd be happy to join a fb group if anyone wants to start one..

                                > > - - -
                                > > Rupert Howe
                                > > Production Workflow Consultant
                                > > Support Partners (UK) Ltd
                                > >
                                > > +44 (0)7525 1234 72
                                > > rupert.howe@...
                                >
                                > > http://support-partners.com
                                > >

                                > > The Legal Stuff
                                > >
                                > > This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of
                                > the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution,
                                > copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please
                                > advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any
                                > loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail.
                                > Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.
                                > >
                                > > Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration
                                > number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street,
                                > Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

                                Richard (Show) Hall
                                Professor: <http://mst.edu/~rhall>
                                Videographer: <http://richardshow.org>
                                Musician <http://littlepineyhellbenders.com> <http://blisshippy.com>

                              • Irina
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 16, 2012
                                  Hi everyone! So nice to hear updates! I miss everyone very much. That time
                                  in our lives i (and kent nichols) call THE GOLDEN AGE OF INDEPENDENT ONLINE
                                  VIDEO, and it's even more golden and precious because it transitioned into
                                  something else...

                                  Eddie and i retired GETV in 2010 and after a midlife crisis... I'm studying
                                  to be a psychotherapist! All those interviews were good training for
                                  dealing with people. I'd love to do more video but apparently i already
                                  might have issued when a potential client googles my name! Lol. I wonder if
                                  my video past will attract or repel clients?
                                  :)
                                  Love you! Irina

                                • johnleeke@historichomeworks.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 18, 2012
                                    I'm still using online video to help people understand and maintain their historic buildings.

                                    I still feel lucky that I fell in with the videobloggers back in 2005, and appreciate all the help you gave me.

                                    I have not directly monetized my videos, but they are a huge marketing plus for the sales of my print publications.

                                    You can still catch up with me here:

                                    Video conferencing at RetroVideo:
                                    http://historichomeworks.com/hhw/conf/vidconf.htm

                                    Video reports from the field & Live broadcasting:
                                    http://historichomeworks.com/hhw/video/rftf.htm

                                    If anyone wants a VideoBloggers Reunion on FlashMeeting, I'll book it, just suggest a day and time.

                                    John
                                    by hammer and hand great works do stand
                                    by cam and light he shoots it right