Re: Best cellphone camera

  • mikemoon_ca
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 12, 2012
      I really am enjoying the iPhone 4s I got last Christmas.
      I now have just one gadget in pocket instead of 2 or 3.
      I'm able to shoot video at anytime.

      I still will use the Kodak underwater camera around the pool and I love the picture quality from my old Xacti HD2.

      But, the iPhone does everything I'd want from capturing, editing, posting, distribution, commenting, in a package that fits easily in my pocket. Wow.
      Over the past several months,the vlogs I've posted have been exclusively created and posted via the iPhone with no computer involvement.

      The only reason I wouldn't recommend the iPhone 4s, is that the Facetime camera is only 640x480. I understand from rumors that Apple will put in an HD Facetime camera in the upcoming iPhone 5.

      Besides being able to complete the vlogging cycle from shoot to post, the massive app library means you have multiple options for any task.

      Hmm, I do have an iPad 1, but not being compatible with iMovie and now to understand it'll be dropped from iOs6 compatibility, it might be time to think upgrade.

      Mike
      http://MikeMoon.ca

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, the iPhone is still the best.
      <snip>

      > </bah>

      > On 11 June 2012 14:47, Adam Quirk <quirk@...> wrote:
      > > Hey all,
      > >
      > > Just curious if any of you have recommendations for a good all-around
      > > cellphone camera for both video and stills. I've played with the iPhone and
      > > it seems like the obvious choice, but thought one of you might know of
      > > something better.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Adam
    • Adam Quirk
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 14, 2012
        Thanks all. I'm sold.

        I just don't want the thing to track me everywhere, as the Internet seems
        to think it does. I'm sure there are ways to turn that off though.

        AQ

        On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:

        > I really am enjoying the iPhone 4s I got last Christmas.
        > I now have just one gadget in pocket instead of 2 or 3.
        > I'm able to shoot video at anytime.
        >
        > I still will use the Kodak underwater camera around the pool and I love
        > the picture quality from my old Xacti HD2.
        >
        > But, the iPhone does everything I'd want from capturing, editing, posting,
        > distribution, commenting, in a package that fits easily in my pocket. Wow.
        > Over the past several months,the vlogs I've posted have been exclusively
        > created and posted via the iPhone with no computer involvement.
        >
        > The only reason I wouldn't recommend the iPhone 4s, is that the Facetime
        > camera is only 640x480. I understand from rumors that Apple will put in an
        > HD Facetime camera in the upcoming iPhone 5.
        >
        > Besides being able to complete the vlogging cycle from shoot to post, the
        > massive app library means you have multiple options for any task.
        >
        > Hmm, I do have an iPad 1, but not being compatible with iMovie and now to
        > understand it'll be dropped from iOs6 compatibility, it might be time to
        > think upgrade.
        >
        > Mike
        > http://MikeMoon.ca
        >
        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yeah, the iPhone is still the best.
        > <snip>
        > >
        > > </bah>

        > > On 11 June 2012 14:47, Adam Quirk <quirk@...> wrote:
        > > > Hey all,
        > > >
        > > > Just curious if any of you have recommendations for a good all-around
        > > > cellphone camera for both video and stills. I've played with the
        > iPhone and
        > > > it seems like the obvious choice, but thought one of you might know of
        > > > something better.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Adam

      • Rupert Howe
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 14, 2012
          I think you have to jailbreak it, so hopefully that will be possible soon
          after release if you're waiting for iphone 5 and ios 6.

          Otherwise, just remember to turn it off during robberies and homicides.

          They're probably watching you through your webcam anyway. Think of it as
          passive videoblogging.

          On Jun 14, 2012 6:09 PM, "Adam Quirk" <quirk@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Thanks all. I'm sold.
          >
          > I just don't want the thing to track me everywhere, as the Internet seems
          > to think it does. I'm sure there are ways to turn that off though.
          >
          > AQ
          >
          > On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I really am enjoying the iPhone 4s I got last Christmas.
          > > I now have just one gadget in pocket instead of 2 or 3.
          > > I'm able to shoot video at anytime.
          > >
          > > I still will use the Kodak underwater camera around the pool and I love
          > > the picture quality from my old Xacti HD2.
          > >
          > > But, the iPhone does everything I'd want from capturing, editing,
          > posting,
          > > distribution, commenting, in a package that fits easily in my pocket.
          > Wow.
          > > Over the past several months,the vlogs I've posted have been exclusively
          > > created and posted via the iPhone with no computer involvement.
          > >
          > > The only reason I wouldn't recommend the iPhone 4s, is that the Facetime
          > > camera is only 640x480. I understand from rumors that Apple will put in
          > an
          > > HD Facetime camera in the upcoming iPhone 5.
          > >
          > > Besides being able to complete the vlogging cycle from shoot to post, the
          > > massive app library means you have multiple options for any task.
          > >
          > > Hmm, I do have an iPad 1, but not being compatible with iMovie and now to
          > > understand it'll be dropped from iOs6 compatibility, it might be time to
          > > think upgrade.
          > >
          > > Mike
          > > http://MikeMoon.ca
          > >
          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Yeah, the iPhone is still the best.
          > > <snip>
          > > >
          > > > </bah>

          > > iPhone and
          > of

          The Legal Stuff

          This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail. Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.

          Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

        • Adam Quirk
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 14, 2012
            It's best to whisper "I know you're watching" any time you enter an empty
            room.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2012
              Further to this discussion last month, I finally shot a wobbly twittervlog
              video on my Xacti (Panasonic WA10) and cut it on my iPad 2 with iMovie.
              The clips imported easily to iPad straight off the camera card and into the
              new iMovie (they didn't import into iMovie last year) and cutting was
              easier and more fun than expected.

              It's here:
              http://vimeo.com/46387129
              Warning: it's 6 minutes 39 seconds long.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 26, 2012
                Meant to say thanks for the prompt to give it another try, Chad :)

              • Chad Boeninger
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 26, 2012
                  Good stuff, Rupert! Glad you gave the editing on the ipad another go. It
                  works pretty well, but my beef with it is that you can't read the newspaper
                  on your ipad while it's rendering (or uploading to Vimeo, for that matter).
                  However, the ability to edit your video anywhere you want is pretty nice.

                  FYI, I had trouble with the 60fps settings on my Xacti, but anything 30fps
                  imported to iMovie just fine.

                  Even though my other cameras shoot AVCHD, I've set them to shoot mp4 just
                  in case I want to do some editing on my iPad.

                  Rupert, you also make me want to bring the Xacti out of the drawer. I've
                  since replace it with a Sony Wx150, a compact P&S that shoots full HD and
                  pics, with optical image stabilization. I shot my birthday vlog video with
                  it https://vimeo.com/46193118

                  Take care,
                  Chad

                  Chad F. Boeninger