Best cellphone camera

  • Adam Quirk
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 11, 2012
      Hey all,

      Just curious if any of you have recommendations for a good all-around
      cellphone camera for both video and stills. I've played with the iPhone and
      it seems like the obvious choice, but thought one of you might know of
      something better.

      Thanks,
      Adam

    • Rupert Howe
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 11, 2012
        Yeah, the iPhone is still the best.

        I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 - because it's a company phone. It's a nice
        phone, and shoots nice stills, but it's horrible for video. Difficult to
        hold, not great quality, jittery, not a wide enough lens.

        Guy at work has a Nokia Lumia. Nice interface, feels good to hold, shoots
        good video, but not as good as iPhone.

        iPhone 4S is nice to hold, shoots stunning video, has a good lens. And it
        has iMovie. And integrates with iMovie on the iPad. Kate has an iPhone,
        and I use it more for home movies than my own phone.

        This depresses me. All I want is one device that I always have with me
        that I like to use, and which can also cut and post video - when I had that
        5 years ago with my Nokia N93, I made a lot of videos. But my company
        moved from Blackberry to Android instead of iOS.

        I bought a Panasonic WA10 camera (the new make/model for Xacti) last year
        because I hoped it'd give me the same pistol grip ergonomics as my old N93,
        but it's a bit too bulky and unwieldy, and I don't want to carry two things
        around. And it doesn't edit or connect online.

        </bah>

        On 11 June 2012 14:47, Adam Quirk <quirk@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hey all,
        >
        > Just curious if any of you have recommendations for a good all-around
        > cellphone camera for both video and stills. I've played with the iPhone and
        > it seems like the obvious choice, but thought one of you might know of
        > something better.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Adam

        > - - -
        > Rupert Howe
        > Production Workflow Consultant
        > Support Partners (UK) Ltd
        >
        > +44 (0)7525 1234 72
        > rupert.howe@...
        > http://support-partners.com

        The Legal Stuff

        This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail. Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.

        Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

      • Adam Quirk
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 11, 2012
          I was hoping you'd answer, Rupert!

          I have a Galaxy S2 as well, and agree with your comments. Mine also has
          severe battery life problems that no Battery Doctor app can solve, so I'll
          be glad to get rid of it. My contract with AT&T expires in August, and
          rumors abound about a new iPhone in September, so I think I'll hold out.

          Are you posting videos somewhere?

        • kinshasa2000
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 11, 2012
            As we all know, the camera you have on you is really the best one. If you use mac products, the iPhone is the best since the video seamlessly flows through from phone, computer, editing, online.

            I assume that if you use a PC, there must be similar solutions now using a Samsung or Android phone, right?

            (good to see everyone)

            Jay

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 11, 2012
              No, not at the moment. Shooting bits and pieces at home - and starting the
              occasional videoblog post that I never post...

              but the inclination to shoot, cut & upload videos is dampened by what I was
              grumbling about - the lack of ease compared to what I used to do with my
              phone.

              Also I have a more full-on day job now, and can't motivate myself after
              work to spend time copying files from camera to computer, transcoding or
              rendering, cutting and uploading. Want to hang with my girls.

              Irony of this = the day job that now takes up all my time is managing
              postproduction workflows for the BBC.

              (which I totally wouldn't be doing if it weren't for videoblogging.)

              I probably just need to get over myself and design a superfast workflow.
              maybe use my Xacti/WA10, get a Thunderbolt card reader and cut things in
              Premiere or FCPX on one of them shiny new Macs they'll be unveiling
              tonight.

              I just wish I had a pocket camera I could really love, that I had with me
              all the time - that'd prompt me to use it more.

              How about you?

            • Chad Boeninger
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11, 2012
                First, it's great to see some action from the group. Long time no see.

                You could use iMovie on iPad, and copy the Xacti mp4 files to the iPad with the SD card reader from the camera connection kit. Would be a way to make the workflow more manageable, and you could splice your film while eating cereal, watching TV, etc. I've pieced together a number of short videos with iMovie on iPad, and it's not too bad.

                Hope this helps,
                Chad

                Chad F. Boeninger
                Head of Reference
                Business &Economics Librarian
                Ohio University Libraries

              • Joly MacFie
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 11, 2012
                  I find the flash on my S2 too bright..

                  For video I still like the 3rd generation flip Ultra hd - used to be able
                  to pick them up for $99 now they are double that.. plus standard tripod
                  fitting so whatever handle you like.

                  Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
                  WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
                • Rupert Howe
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 12, 2012
                    I'd really hoped to do that. Irritatingly, I couldn't get ipad imovie to
                    use the h264 files I'd imported from my wa10. That was last year, though.
                    Might try again as both iPad and iMovie have been updated.

                    At the other end, has anyone seen the new MacBook Pro with retina screen
                    and MacBook Air? Both will be amazing for on-the-move HD video editing with
                    Premiere or FCPX or iMovie. They have Nvidia graphics cards too, which
                    will let Premiere edit pretty much any camera or phone footage and graphics
                    without rendering. Super fast.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 12, 2012
                      I should have clarified that I have an iPad 2. I don't know if it works in the iPad 1. I have a Xacti VPC-CG110. When I first got the iPad in September 2011, it would not work with the files. An update around December fixed any issues I had with mp4. However, I dont think it likes the 1080i 60fps setting, so I dialed the camera back to 30fps and it seems to work fine now.

                      As far as other cameras go, I'm picking up a Sony WX150 soon. It's a P&S about the size of a deck of cards, has a 10x optical stabilized zoom, and records in HD. It will do AVCHD or mp4. I will let the group know what I think when I put I it through its paces.

                      Thanks,

                      On Jun 12, 2012, at 4:44 AM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.
                      > > >
                      > > > Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration
                      > > number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street,
                      > > Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

                      > The Legal Stuff
                      >
                      > This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail. Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.
                      >
                      > Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

                    • mikemoon_ca
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 12, 2012
                        I really am enjoying the iPhone 4s I got last Christmas.
                        I now have just one gadget in pocket instead of 2 or 3.
                        I'm able to shoot video at anytime.

                        I still will use the Kodak underwater camera around the pool and I love the picture quality from my old Xacti HD2.

                        But, the iPhone does everything I'd want from capturing, editing, posting, distribution, commenting, in a package that fits easily in my pocket. Wow.
                        Over the past several months,the vlogs I've posted have been exclusively created and posted via the iPhone with no computer involvement.

                        The only reason I wouldn't recommend the iPhone 4s, is that the Facetime camera is only 640x480. I understand from rumors that Apple will put in an HD Facetime camera in the upcoming iPhone 5.

                        Besides being able to complete the vlogging cycle from shoot to post, the massive app library means you have multiple options for any task.

                        Hmm, I do have an iPad 1, but not being compatible with iMovie and now to understand it'll be dropped from iOs6 compatibility, it might be time to think upgrade.

                        Mike
                        http://MikeMoon.ca

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

                        > Yeah, the iPhone is still the best.
                        <snip>

                        > </bah>

                        > On 11 June 2012 14:47, Adam Quirk <quirk@...> wrote:
                        > > Hey all,
                        > >
                        > > Just curious if any of you have recommendations for a good all-around
                        > > cellphone camera for both video and stills. I've played with the iPhone and
                        > > it seems like the obvious choice, but thought one of you might know of
                        > > something better.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Adam
                      • Adam Quirk
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 14, 2012
                          Thanks all. I'm sold.

                          I just don't want the thing to track me everywhere, as the Internet seems
                          to think it does. I'm sure there are ways to turn that off though.

                          AQ

                          On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                          > I really am enjoying the iPhone 4s I got last Christmas.
                          > I now have just one gadget in pocket instead of 2 or 3.
                          > I'm able to shoot video at anytime.
                          >
                          > I still will use the Kodak underwater camera around the pool and I love
                          > the picture quality from my old Xacti HD2.
                          >
                          > But, the iPhone does everything I'd want from capturing, editing, posting,
                          > distribution, commenting, in a package that fits easily in my pocket. Wow.
                          > Over the past several months,the vlogs I've posted have been exclusively
                          > created and posted via the iPhone with no computer involvement.
                          >
                          > The only reason I wouldn't recommend the iPhone 4s, is that the Facetime
                          > camera is only 640x480. I understand from rumors that Apple will put in an
                          > HD Facetime camera in the upcoming iPhone 5.
                          >
                          > Besides being able to complete the vlogging cycle from shoot to post, the
                          > massive app library means you have multiple options for any task.
                          >
                          > Hmm, I do have an iPad 1, but not being compatible with iMovie and now to
                          > understand it'll be dropped from iOs6 compatibility, it might be time to
                          > think upgrade.
                          >
                          > Mike
                          > http://MikeMoon.ca
                          >
                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Yeah, the iPhone is still the best.
                          > <snip>
                          > >
                          > > </bah>

                          > > On 11 June 2012 14:47, Adam Quirk <quirk@...> wrote:
                          > > > Hey all,
                          > > >
                          > > > Just curious if any of you have recommendations for a good all-around
                          > > > cellphone camera for both video and stills. I've played with the
                          > iPhone and
                          > > > it seems like the obvious choice, but thought one of you might know of
                          > > > something better.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks,
                          > > > Adam

                        • Rupert Howe
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 14, 2012
                            I think you have to jailbreak it, so hopefully that will be possible soon
                            after release if you're waiting for iphone 5 and ios 6.

                            Otherwise, just remember to turn it off during robberies and homicides.

                            They're probably watching you through your webcam anyway. Think of it as
                            passive videoblogging.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 14, 2012
                              It's best to whisper "I know you're watching" any time you enter an empty
                              room.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 26, 2012
                                Further to this discussion last month, I finally shot a wobbly twittervlog
                                video on my Xacti (Panasonic WA10) and cut it on my iPad 2 with iMovie.
                                The clips imported easily to iPad straight off the camera card and into the
                                new iMovie (they didn't import into iMovie last year) and cutting was
                                easier and more fun than expected.

                                It's here:
                                http://vimeo.com/46387129
                                Warning: it's 6 minutes 39 seconds long.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 26, 2012
                                  Meant to say thanks for the prompt to give it another try, Chad :)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 26, 2012
                                    Good stuff, Rupert! Glad you gave the editing on the ipad another go. It
                                    works pretty well, but my beef with it is that you can't read the newspaper
                                    on your ipad while it's rendering (or uploading to Vimeo, for that matter).
                                    However, the ability to edit your video anywhere you want is pretty nice.

                                    FYI, I had trouble with the 60fps settings on my Xacti, but anything 30fps
                                    imported to iMovie just fine.

                                    Even though my other cameras shoot AVCHD, I've set them to shoot mp4 just
                                    in case I want to do some editing on my iPad.

                                    Rupert, you also make me want to bring the Xacti out of the drawer. I've
                                    since replace it with a Sony Wx150, a compact P&S that shoots full HD and
                                    pics, with optical image stabilization. I shot my birthday vlog video with
                                    it https://vimeo.com/46193118

                                    Take care,
                                    Chad

                                    libraryvoice.com