Solder Shooting to reduce camera shake

  • RatbagMedia
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2012
      The annoying persistent shake you get when filming with pocket digital video cameras taht don't have stabilisation (like mine) can be greatly reduced by using a solder rod to hold the camera steady. A cheap and easy rig that 'folds' away when not in use.

      http://kickbike.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/solder-shooting.html

      I attached the rod to an old mini flexi tripod with duct tape and screwed that into the camera mount.

      The whole rig sort of rolls up and folds when not in use.

      Works for me.

      dave riley
    • compumavengal
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2012
        Cool idea. Still not sure what a solder rod is but it seems that you could take anything that would allow a tripod screw mount and some duct tape to make it work.

        I just can't cram that much rod in my purse. I bought a Sling Shot on Kickstarter that will arrive in June. It is designed for mobile devices so for those of use doing vertical recording it will be of great help. http://vimeo.com/39614146

        Keep inventing the future,

        Gena

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "RatbagMedia" <ratbagradio@...> wrote:

        > The annoying persistent shake you get when filming with pocket digital video cameras taht don't have stabilisation (like mine) can be greatly reduced by using a solder rod to hold the camera steady. A cheap and easy rig that 'folds' away when not in use.
        >
        > http://kickbike.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/solder-shooting.html
        >
        > I attached the rod to an old mini flexi tripod with duct tape and screwed that into the camera mount.
        >
        > The whole rig sort of rolls up and folds when not in use.
        >
        > Works for me.
        >

        > dave riley

      • RatbagMedia
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2012
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "compumavengal" <compumavengal@...> wrote:

          > I just can't cram that much rod in my purse. I bought a Sling Shot on Kickstarter that will arrive in June. It is designed for mobile devices so for those of use doing vertical recording it will be of great help. http://vimeo.com/39614146

          There area few devives that do the same thing following the same principle of tension like the ReadySteady
          http://www.readysteadyvideo.com/

          However, solder which is used for soldering meta to metal is flexible while retaining its stiffness so it rolls up and folds on itself.

          I added this photo to the post:
          http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CCLlBUVsCJQ/T6shpWM9hyI/AAAAAAAAFUU/AxSoPisk27k/s320/folded.jpg

          And lead free solder is, of course, minus the lead.I'm sure there may be other materials some which are plasticated. But solder is dirt cheap and is a standard hardware store item.

          I had previously used cords either supported under my foot or attached to my belt to create the tension while filming but they waver left and right and the vertical tension isn't always constant sit depended m on my pulling.

          I'm thinking that because I can twist the rod to suit so that I anchor it to one side by bending it into a hook I have much better lateral support than I would have with a sharply vertical stem which would act like a pendulum.