RE: DE-LURKING TO ....

  • Flux@Fluxview.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2012
      How Apple of them to restrict the flow of information and make your social issue a proprietary thing that will insure that the video only plays to people who are already down with your cause.

      If you want impact release it freely everywhere with links pointing to "behind the scenes" or bonus footage and collect the email addresses for that content.

      So, you should first decide what the goal of this video is.
      If it is to bring an issue to "the masses" ... restricting it to Your Site with a sign up prerequisite will be a complete failure unless you include scantily clad teenage bikini girls dropping Mentos into coke bottles aimed at cute kittens intercut with babies laughing. etc etc.

      If the goal is to only reach those who are openly gay....

      Ok, I still don't like the proprietaryness of it but this tactic could work.

      IF those signing up understand that the video release "to the world" is in 2 weeks and that it's kind of a "Coming Out" party that they can all participate in by spreading the video as widely as possible at that time. It could create buzz/hype... also something Apple is good at. LOL

      So unfortunately I see both sides.

      solidarity,
      ~ FluxRostrum

      Current Projects
      http://MobileBroadcastNews.com

      http://GlobalRevolution.TV

      Home Base
      http://Fluxview.comQuoting videoblogging@yahoogroups.com:

      VideoBlogging

      VideoBlogging [1]

      MESSAGES IN THIS DIGEST (5 MESSAGES)

      1a. De-lurking to see if y'all can help solve a problem - Trump
      Apple's [2] From: Jeffrey Taylor 1b. Re: De-lurking to see if
      y'all can help solve a problem - Trump Appl[3] From: Adam Warner 1c.
      Re: De-lurking to see if y'all can help solve a problem - Trump
      Appl[4] From: apperceive 1d. Re: De-lurking to see if y'all can
      help solve a problem - Trump Appl[5] From: apperceive 1e. Re:
      De-lurking to see if y'all can help solve a problem - Trump Appl[6]
      From: compumavengal
      View All Topics[7] | Create New Topic[8]

      MESSAGES

      1a.

      DE-LURKING TO SEE IF Y'ALL CAN HELP SOLVE A PROBLEM - TRUMP APPLE'S

      POSTED BY: \"JEFFREY TAYLOR\" THEJEFFREYTAYLOR@...
      THEJEFFREYTAYLOR

      Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:46 pm (PST)

      Hi everyone -

      I'm delurking after a long while to see if anyone has any ideas about
      problem I'm working on with the SF Gay Men's Chorus (SFGMC).

      The chorus is headed to Skywalker Sound to record an "It Gets Better"
      project song written expressly for us by Broadway composer Steven
      Schwartz.
      A team of 4 Apple videographers and editors are filming it, a la "We
      Are
      The World" and will release the video on the same night the song is
      premiered on March 20 in concert.

      The Director of Video at Apple, who is also a singing member of the
      chorus,
      is also relaunching the SFGMC website, and want to build up our
      e-mail
      list. He is strongly considering putting the new video, which should
      get
      good coverage on the SFGMC site only and wants people who provide
      e-mail
      addresses to our list to be able to see the video for the first two
      weeks.
      Our mailing list is in need of a boost, but I think this is an awful,
      awful
      idea to require people to provide data to see content. Not being able
      embed will also hamper the viral-ness of the video, as bloggers and
      other
      sites won't share it.

      So the question is: What's the alternative. He doesn't want to put
      any
      links over the video, and he is open to a solution that at least
      drives
      some traffic to the new SFGMC site and gets people to opt in to our
      list. Any ideas? I will fully credit you if you come up with an idea
      suggest.

      Cheers,

      Jeffrey from Paris, now in SF