Re: [videoblogging] Re: De-lurking to see if y'all can help solve a problem - Trump Apple's Director of Video!

  • Josh Wolf
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
      I believe you can make a splash page for the entire domain that would request people submit their e-mails. But I agree with the others who feel they should be able to opt out of providing their email address and still watch the bid.

      Best,

      Josh

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:19 AM, "apperceive" <markus.sandy@...> wrote:

      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Taylor <thejeffreytaylor@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > So the question is: What's the alternative.
      >
      > produce a second "making of" video
      >
      > release on youtube with links to site and the master performance
      >
      > might be fun

    • Joly MacFie
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
        I would suggest password protecting on Vimeo, promote "see preview" on site
        with "get password" input that includes an opt-out radio button "also sign
        up for announcements"

        On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Jeffrey Taylor
        <thejeffreytaylor@...>wrote:

        > Hi everyone -
        >
        > I'm delurking after a long while to see if anyone has any ideas about a
        > problem I'm working on with the SF Gay Men's Chorus (SFGMC).
        >
        > The chorus is headed to Skywalker Sound to record an "It Gets Better"
        > project song written expressly for us by Broadway composer Steven Schwartz.
        > A team of 4 Apple videographers and editors are filming it, a la "We Are
        > The World" and will release the video on the same night the song is
        > premiered on March 20 in concert.
        >
        > The Director of Video at Apple, who is also a singing member of the chorus,
        > is also relaunching the SFGMC website, and want to build up our e-mail
        > list. He is strongly considering putting the new video, which should get
        > good coverage on the SFGMC site only and wants people who provide e-mail
        > addresses to our list to be able to see the video for the first two weeks.
        > Our mailing list is in need of a boost, but I think this is an awful, awful
        > idea to require people to provide data to see content. Not being able to
        > embed will also hamper the viral-ness of the video, as bloggers and other
        > sites won't share it.
        >

        > So the question is: What's the alternative. He doesn't want to put any
        > links over the video, and he is open to a solution that at least drives
        > some traffic to the new SFGMC site and gets people to opt in to our
        > list. Any ideas? I will fully credit you if you come up with an idea I
        > suggest.
        >

        > Cheers,
        >
        > Jeffrey from Paris, now in SF

        Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
        WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
          It's pretty simple, I guess.

          If the only real value/ROI of the video is to gather emails for the mailing
          list, then that's what you do.

          If there are other benefits to the organisation from being seen by the
          wider public who are not prepared to pay for access with their email
          address, then you make it optional. You'll get fewer email addresses but
          you balance that loss against the benefit of wider exposure.

          Depends on what is more valuable to you and the people spending their time,
          money and effort making the video. Exposure and awareness to a largely
          anonymous audience, or a smaller audience of usable contacts?

          I can see both points of view, but I agree with yours.

          On Mar 1, 2012 3:16 PM, "Josh Wolf" <lists@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I believe you can make a splash page for the entire domain that would
          > request people submit their e-mails. But I agree with the others who feel
          > they should be able to opt out of providing their email address and still
          > watch the bid.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Josh
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:19 AM, "apperceive" <markus.sandy@...> wrote:
          >

          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Taylor <thejeffreytaylor@...>
          > wrote:
          > > >

          > > > So the question is: What's the alternative.
          > >
          > > produce a second "making of" video
          > >
          > > release on youtube with links to site and the master performance
          > >
          > > might be fun

          The Legal Stuff

          This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail. Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.

          Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

        • Jeffrey Taylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
            Great stuff. Will be responding tomorrow!

            On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 07:35, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > It's pretty simple, I guess.
            >
            > If the only real value/ROI of the video is to gather emails for the mailing
            > list, then that's what you do.
            >
            > If there are other benefits to the organisation from being seen by the
            > wider public who are not prepared to pay for access with their email
            > address, then you make it optional. You'll get fewer email addresses but
            > you balance that loss against the benefit of wider exposure.
            >
            > Depends on what is more valuable to you and the people spending their time,
            > money and effort making the video. Exposure and awareness to a largely
            > anonymous audience, or a smaller audience of usable contacts?
            >
            > I can see both points of view, but I agree with yours.

            > On Mar 1, 2012 3:16 PM, "Josh Wolf" <lists@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            >

            > > I believe you can make a splash page for the entire domain that would
            > > request people submit their e-mails. But I agree with the others who feel
            > > they should be able to opt out of providing their email address and still
            > > watch the bid.
            > >
            > > Best,
            > >
            > > Josh
            > >
            > > Sent from my iPhone
            > >
            > > On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:19 AM, "apperceive" <markus.sandy@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Taylor
            > <thejeffreytaylor@...>

            > > > produce a second "making of" video
            > > >
            > > > release on youtube with links to site and the master performance
            > > >
            > > > might be fun

            > The Legal Stuff
            >
            > This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of
            > the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution,
            > copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please
            > advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any
            > loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail.
            > Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.
            >
            > Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration
            > number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street,
            > Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

            Jeffrey Taylor
            912 Cole St, #349
            San Francisco, CA 94117 USA
            Main: +14158917310
            Mobile: +14157281264

            �That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your
            longings are universal longings, that you�re not lonely and isolated from
            anyone. You belong.� � F. Scott Fitzgerald