De-lurking to see if y'all can help solve a problem - Trump Apple's Director of Video!

  • Jeffrey Taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2012
      Hi everyone -

      I'm delurking after a long while to see if anyone has any ideas about a
      problem I'm working on with the SF Gay Men's Chorus (SFGMC).

      The chorus is headed to Skywalker Sound to record an "It Gets Better"
      project song written expressly for us by Broadway composer Steven Schwartz.
      A team of 4 Apple videographers and editors are filming it, a la "We Are
      The World" and will release the video on the same night the song is
      premiered on March 20 in concert.

      The Director of Video at Apple, who is also a singing member of the chorus,
      is also relaunching the SFGMC website, and want to build up our e-mail
      list. He is strongly considering putting the new video, which should get
      good coverage on the SFGMC site only and wants people who provide e-mail
      addresses to our list to be able to see the video for the first two weeks.
      Our mailing list is in need of a boost, but I think this is an awful, awful
      idea to require people to provide data to see content. Not being able to
      embed will also hamper the viral-ness of the video, as bloggers and other
      sites won't share it.

      So the question is: What's the alternative. He doesn't want to put any
      links over the video, and he is open to a solution that at least drives
      some traffic to the new SFGMC site and gets people to opt in to our
      list. Any ideas? I will fully credit you if you come up with an idea I
      suggest.

      Cheers,

      Jeffrey from Paris, now in SF

    • Adam Warner
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 29, 2012
        Hi Jeffrey,

        As luck would have it, you and I just messaged each other via a LinkedIn request a couple days ago. I will email you directly with a process flow that may work for what your client wants to do....

        Adam W. WarnerTechnical Solutions Strategist
        www.wpprobusiness.com
        www.adamwwarner.com
          My profiles:

        Latest Pro Business article: Options for Creating Directory Sites with WordPress

        Get a signature like this. Click here.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 29, 2012
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Taylor <thejeffreytaylor@...> wrote:

          > So the question is: What's the alternative.

          produce a second "making of" video

          release on youtube with links to site and the master performance

          might be fun
        • apperceive
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 29, 2012
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Taylor <thejeffreytaylor@...> wrote:

            > So the question is: What's the alternative.

            produce a second "making of" video

            release on youtube with links to site and the master performance

            might be fun
          • compumavengal
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 29, 2012
              Please forward to the Apple ViP, "Do the right thing for the intended purpose. I and many of my friends don't fork up email addresses to see content. If the point of the video is to communicate it gets better then how is the target audience and those that love them going to see it behind an e-mail gate?

              It sends the unintended messaged that SFGM is more important than the stated goal and/or this is link/e-mail bait. Now if that is true that teens in pain is less important than the chorus, my bad and keep on steppin' er singing.

              Either provide a video on Vimeo, Blip.tv or YouTube or at the least allow visitors to come to your site and have a small solicitation for an events calendar link under the video.

              You don't have to have comments on the other distribution sites. In the case of YouTube, completely understandable.

              Dude, make the video compelling enough for me to want to give my my info."

              Gena
              http://outonethestoop.blogspot.com

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Taylor <thejeffreytaylor@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone -
              >
              > I'm delurking after a long while to see if anyone has any ideas about a
              > problem I'm working on with the SF Gay Men's Chorus (SFGMC).
              >
              > The chorus is headed to Skywalker Sound to record an "It Gets Better"
              > project song written expressly for us by Broadway composer Steven Schwartz.
              > A team of 4 Apple videographers and editors are filming it, a la "We Are
              > The World" and will release the video on the same night the song is
              > premiered on March 20 in concert.
              >
              > The Director of Video at Apple, who is also a singing member of the chorus,
              > is also relaunching the SFGMC website, and want to build up our e-mail
              > list. He is strongly considering putting the new video, which should get
              > good coverage on the SFGMC site only and wants people who provide e-mail
              > addresses to our list to be able to see the video for the first two weeks.
              > Our mailing list is in need of a boost, but I think this is an awful, awful
              > idea to require people to provide data to see content. Not being able to
              > embed will also hamper the viral-ness of the video, as bloggers and other
              > sites won't share it.
              >

              > So the question is: What's the alternative. He doesn't want to put any
              > links over the video, and he is open to a solution that at least drives
              > some traffic to the new SFGMC site and gets people to opt in to our
              > list. Any ideas? I will fully credit you if you come up with an idea I
              > suggest.
              >

              > Cheers,
              >
              > Jeffrey from Paris, now in SF

            • Josh Wolf
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
                I believe you can make a splash page for the entire domain that would request people submit their e-mails. But I agree with the others who feel they should be able to opt out of providing their email address and still watch the bid.

                Best,

                Josh

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:19 AM, "apperceive" <markus.sandy@...> wrote:

                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Taylor <thejeffreytaylor@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > So the question is: What's the alternative.
                >
                > produce a second "making of" video
                >
                > release on youtube with links to site and the master performance
                >
                > might be fun

              • Joly MacFie
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
                  I would suggest password protecting on Vimeo, promote "see preview" on site
                  with "get password" input that includes an opt-out radio button "also sign
                  up for announcements"

                  On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Jeffrey Taylor
                  <thejeffreytaylor@...>wrote:

                  > Hi everyone -
                  >
                  > I'm delurking after a long while to see if anyone has any ideas about a
                  > problem I'm working on with the SF Gay Men's Chorus (SFGMC).
                  >
                  > The chorus is headed to Skywalker Sound to record an "It Gets Better"
                  > project song written expressly for us by Broadway composer Steven Schwartz.
                  > A team of 4 Apple videographers and editors are filming it, a la "We Are
                  > The World" and will release the video on the same night the song is
                  > premiered on March 20 in concert.
                  >
                  > The Director of Video at Apple, who is also a singing member of the chorus,
                  > is also relaunching the SFGMC website, and want to build up our e-mail
                  > list. He is strongly considering putting the new video, which should get
                  > good coverage on the SFGMC site only and wants people who provide e-mail
                  > addresses to our list to be able to see the video for the first two weeks.
                  > Our mailing list is in need of a boost, but I think this is an awful, awful
                  > idea to require people to provide data to see content. Not being able to
                  > embed will also hamper the viral-ness of the video, as bloggers and other
                  > sites won't share it.
                  >

                  > So the question is: What's the alternative. He doesn't want to put any
                  > links over the video, and he is open to a solution that at least drives
                  > some traffic to the new SFGMC site and gets people to opt in to our
                  > list. Any ideas? I will fully credit you if you come up with an idea I
                  > suggest.
                  >

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Jeffrey from Paris, now in SF

                  Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
                  WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
                    It's pretty simple, I guess.

                    If the only real value/ROI of the video is to gather emails for the mailing
                    list, then that's what you do.

                    If there are other benefits to the organisation from being seen by the
                    wider public who are not prepared to pay for access with their email
                    address, then you make it optional. You'll get fewer email addresses but
                    you balance that loss against the benefit of wider exposure.

                    Depends on what is more valuable to you and the people spending their time,
                    money and effort making the video. Exposure and awareness to a largely
                    anonymous audience, or a smaller audience of usable contacts?

                    I can see both points of view, but I agree with yours.

                    On Mar 1, 2012 3:16 PM, "Josh Wolf" <lists@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I believe you can make a splash page for the entire domain that would
                    > request people submit their e-mails. But I agree with the others who feel
                    > they should be able to opt out of providing their email address and still
                    > watch the bid.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Josh
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:19 AM, "apperceive" <markus.sandy@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Taylor <thejeffreytaylor@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > So the question is: What's the alternative.
                    > >
                    > > produce a second "making of" video
                    > >
                    > > release on youtube with links to site and the master performance
                    > >
                    > > might be fun

                    The Legal Stuff

                    This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail. Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.

                    Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

                  • Jeffrey Taylor
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
                      Great stuff. Will be responding tomorrow!

                      On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 07:35, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > It's pretty simple, I guess.
                      >
                      > If the only real value/ROI of the video is to gather emails for the mailing
                      > list, then that's what you do.
                      >
                      > If there are other benefits to the organisation from being seen by the
                      > wider public who are not prepared to pay for access with their email
                      > address, then you make it optional. You'll get fewer email addresses but
                      > you balance that loss against the benefit of wider exposure.
                      >
                      > Depends on what is more valuable to you and the people spending their time,
                      > money and effort making the video. Exposure and awareness to a largely
                      > anonymous audience, or a smaller audience of usable contacts?
                      >
                      > I can see both points of view, but I agree with yours.

                      > On Mar 1, 2012 3:16 PM, "Josh Wolf" <lists@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      >

                      > > I believe you can make a splash page for the entire domain that would
                      > > request people submit their e-mails. But I agree with the others who feel
                      > > they should be able to opt out of providing their email address and still
                      > > watch the bid.
                      > >
                      > > Best,
                      > >
                      > > Josh
                      > >
                      > > Sent from my iPhone
                      > >
                      > > On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:19 AM, "apperceive" <markus.sandy@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Taylor
                      > <thejeffreytaylor@...>

                      > > > produce a second "making of" video
                      > > >
                      > > > release on youtube with links to site and the master performance
                      > > >
                      > > > might be fun

                      > The Legal Stuff
                      >
                      > This e-mail contains confidential stuff and is for the exclusive use of
                      > the addressee/s. If you are not the addressee, then any distribution,
                      > copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please
                      > advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any
                      > loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail.
                      > Everything is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE.
                      >
                      > Support Partners (UK) LTD, registered in England, Company Registration
                      > number 5173073 . Registered office is Brigham House, High Street,
                      > Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom

                      Jeffrey Taylor
                      912 Cole St, #349
                      San Francisco, CA 94117 USA
                      Main: +14158917310
                      Mobile: +14157281264

                      �That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your
                      longings are universal longings, that you�re not lonely and isolated from
                      anyone. You belong.� � F. Scott Fitzgerald