Re: [videoblogging] recording video interviews

  • ktcopsey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
      Maybe I need to record one and let you see. Both times I tried it was not
      up to par and at first I blamed us both using webcammax which I have on the
      pc desktop but the second time it was using straight Skype with the mac. We
      are with comcast (supposed to be super hi speed). Do you have a copy of
      something you recorded that I could perhaps see?
      Thanks
      Kate

      Kate Copsey
      Freelance garden writer
      www.katecopsey.com
      Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
      on :www.americaswebradio.com

      Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
      Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
      Linked in :Kate Copsey
      Twitter: katycopsey

      In a message dated 12/1/2011 3:16:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      jay.dedman@... writes:

      > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et
      al
      > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
      > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so
      many
      > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
      > better options out there?

      Ive never known the quality of Skype to be different for free or paid
      subscribers. Ive recorded a number of video skype calls using
      _http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/._
      (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/) Its $20 but very worth it. Its
      just a plugin with Skype so all I do is clikc a button to record the
      video. Saves it as a clean file.

      Are you sure that the problem isnt with the connection? Do you or your
      friend have a slow internet connection? Maybe experiment with another
      person that you know has good broadband.

    • Scott Stead
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
        Alas when we do use Skype we are using it free like everyone else (I work at CNN). We run the output of the computer to a scan converter which makes it an hd/sdi source. I've seen good ones and bad ones and almost entirely has to do with the other party's connection. Most likely we have mostly good connections because it's dsl or high speed cable lines paid for by the company at correspondents offices and homes. Furthermore for the last year or so a lot of networks have started opting for the Cisco mii video camera devices which are much higher quality but also run about $500 a pop.

        Make sure u both have a good connection and use a program like ecamm call recorder or snaps x (I'm a Mac guy). And remember, what you see is what you get.

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Scott Stead
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
          Yup I think talking heads tv used to use this method where they'd each record on their end then edit the two together. You could simple each call each other on a cell phone like ifb, and then each record your end of the conversation.

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
            With cropping and track motion it's a snap in Vegas.

            On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Scott Stead <scott.stead@...> wrote:

            > Yup I think talking heads tv used to use this method where they'd each
            > record on their end then edit the two together. You could simple each call
            > each other on a cell phone like ifb, and then each record your end of the
            > conversation.
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone

            Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
            WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
          • theurbanreporter
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
              What software are you using to record your interviews?

              I use Call Recorder for Mac, and have never had a problem.

              It's really easy to use too. http://www.webvideochefs.com/how-to-record-a-video-interview-with-skype-ecamm/

              There is PC software if you're on a Windows machine as well.

              Amani Channel
              http://www.webvideochefs.com
              @AmaniChannel