Re: [videoblogging] recording video interviews

  • ktcopsey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
      Alas the reverse is on the other side - they get a clear local image but
      mine is grainy. The network tv have skype interviews that are great quality
      and used to have the Skype name across the top, but don't know, so I am
      wondering if the image resolution is improved if you pay for Skype.

      Kate Copsey
      Freelance garden writer
      www.katecopsey.com
      Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
      on :www.americaswebradio.com

      Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
      Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
      Linked in :Kate Copsey
      Twitter: katycopsey

      In a message dated 12/1/2011 1:42:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      joly@... writes:

      it's an interesting question. I also wonder if a solution could be to use
      something that would allow a HD recording to be made on the interviewee's
      own machine which could then be transferred via sd card or similar.

      On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM, <_ktcopsey@..._
      (mailto:ktcopsey@...) > wrote:

      > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et
      al
      > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
      > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so
      > many
      > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
      > better options out there?
      > Thanks
      > Kate
      >
      > Kate Copsey
      > Freelance garden writer
      > www.katecopsey.com
      > Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
      > on :www.americaswebradio.com
      >
      > Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (_http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/_
      (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/) )
      > Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
      > Linked in :Kate Copsey
      > Twitter: katycopsey

      Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
      WWWhatsup NYC - _http://wwwhatsup.com_ (http://wwwhatsup.com/)
      _http://pinstand.com_ (http://pinstand.com/) - _http://punkcast.com_
      (http://punkcast.com/)
      VP (Admin) - ISOC-NY - _http://isoc-ny.org_ (http://isoc-ny.org/)

    • Joly MacFie
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
        On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM, <ktcopsey@...> wrote:

        > Alas the reverse is on the other side - they get a clear local image but
        > mine is grainy.

        That's the point. You could then cut them together.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
          > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et al
          > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
          > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so many
          > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
          > better options out there?

          Ive never known the quality of Skype to be different for free or paid
          subscribers. Ive recorded a number of video skype calls using
          http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/. Its $20 but very worth it. Its
          just a plugin with Skype so all I do is clikc a button to record the
          video. Saves it as a clean file.

          Are you sure that the problem isnt with the connection? Do you or your
          friend have a slow internet connection? Maybe experiment with another
          person that you know has good broadband.

        • ktcopsey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
            Maybe I need to record one and let you see. Both times I tried it was not
            up to par and at first I blamed us both using webcammax which I have on the
            pc desktop but the second time it was using straight Skype with the mac. We
            are with comcast (supposed to be super hi speed). Do you have a copy of
            something you recorded that I could perhaps see?
            Thanks
            Kate

            Kate Copsey
            Freelance garden writer
            www.katecopsey.com
            Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
            on :www.americaswebradio.com

            Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
            Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
            Linked in :Kate Copsey
            Twitter: katycopsey

            In a message dated 12/1/2011 3:16:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            jay.dedman@... writes:

            > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et
            al
            > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
            > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so
            many
            > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
            > better options out there?

            Ive never known the quality of Skype to be different for free or paid
            subscribers. Ive recorded a number of video skype calls using
            _http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/._
            (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/) Its $20 but very worth it. Its
            just a plugin with Skype so all I do is clikc a button to record the
            video. Saves it as a clean file.

            Are you sure that the problem isnt with the connection? Do you or your
            friend have a slow internet connection? Maybe experiment with another
            person that you know has good broadband.

          • Scott Stead
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
              Alas when we do use Skype we are using it free like everyone else (I work at CNN). We run the output of the computer to a scan converter which makes it an hd/sdi source. I've seen good ones and bad ones and almost entirely has to do with the other party's connection. Most likely we have mostly good connections because it's dsl or high speed cable lines paid for by the company at correspondents offices and homes. Furthermore for the last year or so a lot of networks have started opting for the Cisco mii video camera devices which are much higher quality but also run about $500 a pop.

              Make sure u both have a good connection and use a program like ecamm call recorder or snaps x (I'm a Mac guy). And remember, what you see is what you get.

              Sent from my iPhone
            • Scott Stead
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
                Yup I think talking heads tv used to use this method where they'd each record on their end then edit the two together. You could simple each call each other on a cell phone like ifb, and then each record your end of the conversation.

                Sent from my iPhone
              • Joly MacFie
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
                  With cropping and track motion it's a snap in Vegas.

                  On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Scott Stead <scott.stead@...> wrote:

                  > Yup I think talking heads tv used to use this method where they'd each
                  > record on their end then edit the two together. You could simple each call
                  > each other on a cell phone like ifb, and then each record your end of the
                  > conversation.
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone

                  Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
                  WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
                • theurbanreporter
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
                    What software are you using to record your interviews?

                    I use Call Recorder for Mac, and have never had a problem.

                    It's really easy to use too. http://www.webvideochefs.com/how-to-record-a-video-interview-with-skype-ecamm/

                    There is PC software if you're on a Windows machine as well.

                    Amani Channel
                    http://www.webvideochefs.com
                    @AmaniChannel