Re: [videoblogging] recording video interviews

  • Joly MacFie
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
      it's an interesting question. I also wonder if a solution could be to use
      something that would allow a HD recording to be made on the interviewee's
      own machine which could then be transferred via sd card or similar.

      On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM, <ktcopsey@...> wrote:

      > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et al
      > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
      > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so
      > many
      > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
      > better options out there?
      > Thanks
      > Kate
      >
      > Kate Copsey
      > Freelance garden writer
      > www.katecopsey.com
      > Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
      > on :www.americaswebradio.com
      >
      > Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
      > Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
      > Linked in :Kate Copsey
      > Twitter: katycopsey

      Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
      WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
        Alas the reverse is on the other side - they get a clear local image but
        mine is grainy. The network tv have skype interviews that are great quality
        and used to have the Skype name across the top, but don't know, so I am
        wondering if the image resolution is improved if you pay for Skype.

        Kate Copsey
        Freelance garden writer
        www.katecopsey.com
        Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
        on :www.americaswebradio.com

        Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
        Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
        Linked in :Kate Copsey
        Twitter: katycopsey

        (mailto:ktcopsey@...) > wrote:

        > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et
        al
        > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
        > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so
        > many
        > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
        > better options out there?
        > Thanks
        > Kate
        >
        > Kate Copsey
        > Freelance garden writer
        > www.katecopsey.com
        > Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
        > on :www.americaswebradio.com
        >
        > Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (_http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/_
        (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/) )
        > Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
        > Linked in :Kate Copsey
        > Twitter: katycopsey

        Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
        WWWhatsup NYC - _http://wwwhatsup.com_ (http://wwwhatsup.com/)
        _http://pinstand.com_ (http://pinstand.com/) - _http://punkcast.com_
        (http://punkcast.com/)
        VP (Admin) - ISOC-NY - _http://isoc-ny.org_ (http://isoc-ny.org/)

      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
          On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM, <ktcopsey@...> wrote:

          > Alas the reverse is on the other side - they get a clear local image but
          > mine is grainy.

          That's the point. You could then cut them together.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
            > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et al
            > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
            > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so many
            > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
            > better options out there?

            Ive never known the quality of Skype to be different for free or paid
            subscribers. Ive recorded a number of video skype calls using
            http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/. Its $20 but very worth it. Its
            just a plugin with Skype so all I do is clikc a button to record the
            video. Saves it as a clean file.

            Are you sure that the problem isnt with the connection? Do you or your
            friend have a slow internet connection? Maybe experiment with another
            person that you know has good broadband.

          • ktcopsey@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
              Maybe I need to record one and let you see. Both times I tried it was not
              up to par and at first I blamed us both using webcammax which I have on the
              pc desktop but the second time it was using straight Skype with the mac. We
              are with comcast (supposed to be super hi speed). Do you have a copy of
              something you recorded that I could perhaps see?
              Thanks
              Kate

              Kate Copsey
              Freelance garden writer
              www.katecopsey.com
              Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
              on :www.americaswebradio.com

              Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
              Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
              Linked in :Kate Copsey
              Twitter: katycopsey

              In a message dated 12/1/2011 3:16:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              jay.dedman@... writes:

              > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et
              al
              > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
              > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so
              many
              > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
              > better options out there?

              Ive never known the quality of Skype to be different for free or paid
              subscribers. Ive recorded a number of video skype calls using
              _http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/._
              (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/) Its $20 but very worth it. Its
              just a plugin with Skype so all I do is clikc a button to record the
              video. Saves it as a clean file.

              Are you sure that the problem isnt with the connection? Do you or your
              friend have a slow internet connection? Maybe experiment with another
              person that you know has good broadband.

            • Scott Stead
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
                Alas when we do use Skype we are using it free like everyone else (I work at CNN). We run the output of the computer to a scan converter which makes it an hd/sdi source. I've seen good ones and bad ones and almost entirely has to do with the other party's connection. Most likely we have mostly good connections because it's dsl or high speed cable lines paid for by the company at correspondents offices and homes. Furthermore for the last year or so a lot of networks have started opting for the Cisco mii video camera devices which are much higher quality but also run about $500 a pop.

                Make sure u both have a good connection and use a program like ecamm call recorder or snaps x (I'm a Mac guy). And remember, what you see is what you get.

                Sent from my iPhone
              • Scott Stead
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
                  Yup I think talking heads tv used to use this method where they'd each record on their end then edit the two together. You could simple each call each other on a cell phone like ifb, and then each record your end of the conversation.

                  Sent from my iPhone
                • Joly MacFie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
                    With cropping and track motion it's a snap in Vegas.

                    On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Scott Stead <scott.stead@...> wrote:

                    > Yup I think talking heads tv used to use this method where they'd each
                    > record on their end then edit the two together. You could simple each call
                    > each other on a cell phone like ifb, and then each record your end of the
                    > conversation.
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone

                    Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
                    WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
                  • theurbanreporter
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
                      What software are you using to record your interviews?

                      I use Call Recorder for Mac, and have never had a problem.

                      It's really easy to use too. http://www.webvideochefs.com/how-to-record-a-video-interview-with-skype-ecamm/

                      There is PC software if you're on a Windows machine as well.

                      Amani Channel
                      http://www.webvideochefs.com
                      @AmaniChannel