Re: [videoblogging] compression for dummies?

  • Andy Carvin
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
      Thanks, Julian... I guess what I'm looking for is practical,
      easy-to-understand advice on how to take a fat quicktime file and
      compress it, particularly with freely available software. Since my
      recent videos have dealt with activities in India, I'd like to be able
      to shrink my 45 meg vlogs to something that can be downloaded more
      easily with limited bandwidth....

      thanks,
      ac

      --
      -----------------------------------
      Andy Carvin
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
        Hi there,

        Not sure if I'm too late to reply this, or if I got the platform right,
        but on the mac, I just got this Batch Export Utility from the
        versiontracker.com listing. check out:

        Livid BEU 1.2

        For additional information and assistance visit the Livid Instrument
        Support Forums at http://forums.lividinstruments.com

        Hope this helps!

        - joash

        On 23-Mar-05, at 02:53, Andy Carvin wrote:

        > Thanks, Julian... I guess what I'm looking for is practical,
        > easy-to-understand advice on how to take a fat quicktime file and
        > compress it, particularly with freely available software. Since my
        > recent videos have dealt with activities in India, I'd like to be able
        > to shrink my 45 meg vlogs to something that can be downloaded more
        > easily with limited bandwidth....
        >
        > thanks,
      • Joash Chee
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
          Here's a direct link for Livid Batch Export Utility

          http://www.lividinstruments.com/software_batch.php

          On 23-Mar-05, at 10:12, Joash Chee wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > Not sure if I'm too late to reply this, or if I got the platform right,
          > but on the mac, I just got this Batch Export Utility from the
          > versiontracker.com listing. check out:
          >
          > Livid BEU 1.2
          >
          > For additional information and assistance visit the Livid Instrument
          > Support Forums at http://forums.lividinstruments.com
          >
          > Hope this helps!
        • Michael Shipp (Xueilonox)
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
            I don't have a website to suggest but here is the "dummies" book I used
            to understand basic compression:

            Streaming Media Bible by Steve Mack
            ISBN: 0764536508

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764536508/qid=1111558112/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-2142686-6344958?v=glance&s=books

            Sort of dated (2002) but I suppose the basics are the basics. Covers a
            lot more than comression too.

            Good luck.

            --
            Michael
            Blog: http://www.digitalmerging.la

            Andy Carvin wrote:

            >Hi everyone,
            >
            >I was wondering if anyone could recommend a website that would serve as
            >a "compression for dummies" tutorial. I'm looking to find ways of
            >improving the download speeds of my quicktime files, which can be rather
            >large (my seven-minute Baramati, India video was over 45 megs, for
            >example). So if there's a tutorial something similar that explains
            >compression basics and the various tools available, I'd love to check it
            >out.
            >
            >thanks,
            >ac

          • JD Lasica
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
              Hi folks,

              A couple of people have mentioned Ourmedia in passing the past day or two.

              Just a quick note here to say that:

              - Ourmedia.org is now officially open for business. We had a rough day
              yesterday and this morning because of a too-small server, but this
              afternoon we underwent a server upgrade and it's looking pretty good
              right now.

              You'll see several familar videoblog vids on our home page, with more to come.

              Still some kinks to be worked out with uploading, but we've been
              getting lots of good vibes and great buzz -- oh, and we signed up
              2,000 members in two days.

              - Also: *We need moderators!!* We already have several members of the
              videoblogging list (Jay, Ryan, Raymond, Michael) who have volunteered
              to serve as moderators. But we weren't prepared for the immediate
              large influx of members.

              So if any of you have any time at all during the week or on weekends
              to spare, let us know. No pay, but you'll have our undying gratitude,
              we'll add your name to our staff list, give you admin privileges, and
              perhaps throw in a swanky T-shirt somewhere down the line. :~)

              Here is what a moderator does:

              http://ourmedia.org/help/moderators

              We're having an IRC chat at 3 pm ET tomorrow (Wednesday) to discuss
              moderator duties on IRC freenode (#ourmedia), if you'd like to join
              us.

              jd lasica
              co-founder, Ourmedia.org
            • Christopher Weagel
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
                Concerns:

                1) I downloaded the Publishing tool for mac. Clicking on it, it won't
                even launch, it just immediately crashes.

                2) I already have files stored on the internet archive, how do I get
                them to appear at Our Media?

                3) Is there any way that the layout of the sections can cleaned up? The
                list on the videoblog section is a mess, and I can't find a page that
                lists all of the videos in the videoblog section. I just get reverse
                chronological order of recent posts, I think. What am I missing?

                Chris Weagel
                www.human-dog.com

                On Mar 23, 2005, at 1:41 AM, JD Lasica wrote:

                > Hi folks,
                >
                > A couple of people have mentioned Ourmedia in passing the past day or
                > two.
                >
                > Just a quick note here to say that:
                >
                > - Ourmedia.org is now officially open for business. We had a rough day
                > yesterday and this morning because of a too-small server, but this
                > afternoon we underwent a server upgrade and it's looking pretty good
                > right now.
                >
                > You'll see several familar videoblog vids on our home page, with more
                > to come.
                >
                > Still some kinks to be worked out with uploading, but we've been
                > getting lots of good vibes and great buzz -- oh, and we signed  up
                > 2,000 members in two days.
                >
                > - Also: *We need moderators!!* We already have several members of the
                > videoblogging list (Jay, Ryan, Raymond, Michael) who have volunteered
                > to serve as moderators. But we weren't prepared for the immediate
                > large influx of members.
                >
                > So if any of you have any time at all during the week or on weekends
                > to spare, let us know. No pay, but you'll have our undying gratitude,
                > we'll add your name to our staff list, give you admin privileges, and
                > perhaps throw in a swanky T-shirt somewhere down the line. :~)
                >
                > Here is what a moderator does:
                >
                > http://ourmedia.org/help/moderators
                >
                > We're having an IRC chat at 3 pm ET tomorrow (Wednesday) to discuss
                > moderator duties on IRC freenode (#ourmedia), if you'd like to join
                > us.
                >
                > jd lasica
                > co-founder, Ourmedia.org
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
                > <l.gif>

                > Service.

              • JD Lasica
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                  Hi Chris,

                  I don't want to clutter up the videoblogging list with Ourmedia bug
                  reports, so I've posted your report to our bugs page (where we can
                  address them) and answered you there. :~)

                  http://ourmedia.org/node/1093

                  Thanks for checking us out!!!

                  jd

                • phr33k
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                    Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
                    Ciao Zac

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                      > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

                      Let us count the ways:

                      1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
                      Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
                      tape recorder or camera.

                      2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
                      a very user-friendly experience for people.

                      3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
                      Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
                      copyrighted works.

                      4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
                      about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
                      process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

                      5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
                      new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
                      ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
                      that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
                      recirculate.

                      Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
                      Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

                      There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
                      Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
                      their already glorious holdings.

                      jd

                      On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

                      > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
                      > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
                      > Ciao Zac

                    • phr33k
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                        Thanks for the Explanation  JD Lasica, NOW I understand & I LIKE!

                        Zac
                        > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

                        Let us count the ways:

                        1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
                        Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
                        tape recorder or camera.

                        2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
                        a very user-friendly experience for people.

                        3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
                        Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
                        copyrighted works.

                        4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
                        about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
                        process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

                        5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
                        new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
                        ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
                        that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
                        recirculate.

                        Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
                        Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

                        There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
                        Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
                        their already glorious holdings.

                        jd

                        On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

                        > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
                        > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
                        > Ciao Zac

                      • Andy Carvin
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                          I'm having some problems w/ the publishing tool on my Mac as well. I
                          managed to post one small file with it, but larger files have crashed
                          the software. In one case, the software refused to quit, even with a
                          force quit attempt, so I had to reboot the computer. Still very
                          promising, though....

                          ac