recording video interviews

  • ktcopsey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
      I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et al
      will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
      clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so many
      options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
      better options out there?
      Thanks
      Kate

      Kate Copsey
      Freelance garden writer
      www.katecopsey.com
      Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
      on :www.americaswebradio.com

      Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
      Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
      Linked in :Kate Copsey
      Twitter: katycopsey

    • Joly MacFie
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
        it's an interesting question. I also wonder if a solution could be to use
        something that would allow a HD recording to be made on the interviewee's
        own machine which could then be transferred via sd card or similar.

        On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM, <ktcopsey@...> wrote:

        > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et al
        > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
        > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so
        > many
        > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
        > better options out there?
        > Thanks
        > Kate
        >
        > Kate Copsey
        > Freelance garden writer
        > www.katecopsey.com
        > Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
        > on :www.americaswebradio.com
        >
        > Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
        > Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
        > Linked in :Kate Copsey
        > Twitter: katycopsey

        Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
        WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
          Alas the reverse is on the other side - they get a clear local image but
          mine is grainy. The network tv have skype interviews that are great quality
          and used to have the Skype name across the top, but don't know, so I am
          wondering if the image resolution is improved if you pay for Skype.

          Kate Copsey
          Freelance garden writer
          www.katecopsey.com
          Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
          on :www.americaswebradio.com

          Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
          Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
          Linked in :Kate Copsey
          Twitter: katycopsey

          (mailto:ktcopsey@...) > wrote:

          > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et
          al
          > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
          > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so
          > many
          > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
          > better options out there?
          > Thanks
          > Kate
          >
          > Kate Copsey
          > Freelance garden writer
          > www.katecopsey.com
          > Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
          > on :www.americaswebradio.com
          >
          > Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (_http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/_
          (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/) )
          > Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
          > Linked in :Kate Copsey
          > Twitter: katycopsey

          Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
          WWWhatsup NYC - _http://wwwhatsup.com_ (http://wwwhatsup.com/)
          _http://pinstand.com_ (http://pinstand.com/) - _http://punkcast.com_
          (http://punkcast.com/)
          VP (Admin) - ISOC-NY - _http://isoc-ny.org_ (http://isoc-ny.org/)

        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
            On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM, <ktcopsey@...> wrote:

            > Alas the reverse is on the other side - they get a clear local image but
            > mine is grainy.

            That's the point. You could then cut them together.

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
              > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et al
              > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
              > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so many
              > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
              > better options out there?

              Ive never known the quality of Skype to be different for free or paid
              subscribers. Ive recorded a number of video skype calls using
              http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/. Its $20 but very worth it. Its
              just a plugin with Skype so all I do is clikc a button to record the
              video. Saves it as a clean file.

              Are you sure that the problem isnt with the connection? Do you or your
              friend have a slow internet connection? Maybe experiment with another
              person that you know has good broadband.

            • ktcopsey@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
                Maybe I need to record one and let you see. Both times I tried it was not
                up to par and at first I blamed us both using webcammax which I have on the
                pc desktop but the second time it was using straight Skype with the mac. We
                are with comcast (supposed to be super hi speed). Do you have a copy of
                something you recorded that I could perhaps see?
                Thanks
                Kate

                Kate Copsey
                Freelance garden writer
                www.katecopsey.com
                Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
                on :www.americaswebradio.com

                Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
                Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
                Linked in :Kate Copsey
                Twitter: katycopsey

                In a message dated 12/1/2011 3:16:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                jay.dedman@... writes:

                > I would like to record video based interviews and I know that Pamela et
                al
                > will do that, but I have found Skype to be a problem. My side is crystal
                > clear on the monitor, the incoming video though is very grainy. With so
                many
                > options out there such as google phone/video chat etc does anyone know of
                > better options out there?

                Ive never known the quality of Skype to be different for free or paid
                subscribers. Ive recorded a number of video skype calls using
                _http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/._
                (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/) Its $20 but very worth it. Its
                just a plugin with Skype so all I do is clikc a button to record the
                video. Saves it as a clean file.

                Are you sure that the problem isnt with the connection? Do you or your
                friend have a slow internet connection? Maybe experiment with another
                person that you know has good broadband.

              • Scott Stead
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
                  Alas when we do use Skype we are using it free like everyone else (I work at CNN). We run the output of the computer to a scan converter which makes it an hd/sdi source. I've seen good ones and bad ones and almost entirely has to do with the other party's connection. Most likely we have mostly good connections because it's dsl or high speed cable lines paid for by the company at correspondents offices and homes. Furthermore for the last year or so a lot of networks have started opting for the Cisco mii video camera devices which are much higher quality but also run about $500 a pop.

                  Make sure u both have a good connection and use a program like ecamm call recorder or snaps x (I'm a Mac guy). And remember, what you see is what you get.

                  Sent from my iPhone
                • Scott Stead
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
                    Yup I think talking heads tv used to use this method where they'd each record on their end then edit the two together. You could simple each call each other on a cell phone like ifb, and then each record your end of the conversation.

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • Joly MacFie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
                      With cropping and track motion it's a snap in Vegas.

                      On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Scott Stead <scott.stead@...> wrote:

                      > Yup I think talking heads tv used to use this method where they'd each
                      > record on their end then edit the two together. You could simple each call
                      > each other on a cell phone like ifb, and then each record your end of the
                      > conversation.
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone

                      Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
                      WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
                    • theurbanreporter
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
                        What software are you using to record your interviews?

                        I use Call Recorder for Mac, and have never had a problem.

                        It's really easy to use too. http://www.webvideochefs.com/how-to-record-a-video-interview-with-skype-ecamm/

                        There is PC software if you're on a Windows machine as well.

                        Amani Channel
                        http://www.webvideochefs.com
                        @AmaniChannel