compression for dummies?

  • Andy Carvin
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      I was wondering if anyone could recommend a website that would serve as
      a "compression for dummies" tutorial. I'm looking to find ways of
      improving the download speeds of my quicktime files, which can be rather
      large (my seven-minute Baramati, India video was over 45 megs, for
      example). So if there's a tutorial something similar that explains
      compression basics and the various tools available, I'd love to check it
      out.

      thanks,
      ac

      --
      -----------------------------------
      Andy Carvin
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
        Michael Verdi has made a compression introduction here:
        http://www.michaelverdi.com/demo/compresscompare.html

        It is rather good. I use the 3ivx codec myself, and it is among the
        best. http://www.3ivx.com

        Raymond

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
          Thanks, Julian... I guess what I'm looking for is practical,
          easy-to-understand advice on how to take a fat quicktime file and
          compress it, particularly with freely available software. Since my
          recent videos have dealt with activities in India, I'd like to be able
          to shrink my 45 meg vlogs to something that can be downloaded more
          easily with limited bandwidth....

          thanks,
          ac

          --
          -----------------------------------
          Andy Carvin
          Program Director
          EDC Center for Media & Community
          acarvin @ edc . org
          http://www.digitaldivide.net
          http://www.tsunami-info.org
          Blog: http://www.andycarvin.com
          -----------------------------------
        • Joash Chee
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
            Hi there,

            Not sure if I'm too late to reply this, or if I got the platform right,
            but on the mac, I just got this Batch Export Utility from the
            versiontracker.com listing. check out:

            Livid BEU 1.2

            For additional information and assistance visit the Livid Instrument
            Support Forums at http://forums.lividinstruments.com

            Hope this helps!

            - joash

            On 23-Mar-05, at 02:53, Andy Carvin wrote:

            > Thanks, Julian... I guess what I'm looking for is practical,
            > easy-to-understand advice on how to take a fat quicktime file and
            > compress it, particularly with freely available software. Since my
            > recent videos have dealt with activities in India, I'd like to be able
            > to shrink my 45 meg vlogs to something that can be downloaded more
            > easily with limited bandwidth....
            >
            > thanks,
          • Joash Chee
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
              Here's a direct link for Livid Batch Export Utility

              http://www.lividinstruments.com/software_batch.php

              On 23-Mar-05, at 10:12, Joash Chee wrote:

              > Hi there,
              >
              > Not sure if I'm too late to reply this, or if I got the platform right,
              > but on the mac, I just got this Batch Export Utility from the
              > versiontracker.com listing. check out:
              >
              > Livid BEU 1.2
              >
              > For additional information and assistance visit the Livid Instrument
              > Support Forums at http://forums.lividinstruments.com
              >
              > Hope this helps!
            • Michael Shipp (Xueilonox)
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
                I don't have a website to suggest but here is the "dummies" book I used
                to understand basic compression:

                Streaming Media Bible by Steve Mack
                ISBN: 0764536508

                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764536508/qid=1111558112/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-2142686-6344958?v=glance&s=books

                Sort of dated (2002) but I suppose the basics are the basics. Covers a
                lot more than comression too.

                Good luck.

                --
                Michael
                Blog: http://www.digitalmerging.la

                Andy Carvin wrote:

                >Hi everyone,
                >
                >I was wondering if anyone could recommend a website that would serve as
                >a "compression for dummies" tutorial. I'm looking to find ways of
                >improving the download speeds of my quicktime files, which can be rather
                >large (my seven-minute Baramati, India video was over 45 megs, for
                >example). So if there's a tutorial something similar that explains
                >compression basics and the various tools available, I'd love to check it
                >out.
                >
                >thanks,
                >ac

              • JD Lasica
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
                  Hi folks,

                  A couple of people have mentioned Ourmedia in passing the past day or two.

                  Just a quick note here to say that:

                  - Ourmedia.org is now officially open for business. We had a rough day
                  yesterday and this morning because of a too-small server, but this
                  afternoon we underwent a server upgrade and it's looking pretty good
                  right now.

                  You'll see several familar videoblog vids on our home page, with more to come.

                  Still some kinks to be worked out with uploading, but we've been
                  getting lots of good vibes and great buzz -- oh, and we signed up
                  2,000 members in two days.

                  - Also: *We need moderators!!* We already have several members of the
                  videoblogging list (Jay, Ryan, Raymond, Michael) who have volunteered
                  to serve as moderators. But we weren't prepared for the immediate
                  large influx of members.

                  So if any of you have any time at all during the week or on weekends
                  to spare, let us know. No pay, but you'll have our undying gratitude,
                  we'll add your name to our staff list, give you admin privileges, and
                  perhaps throw in a swanky T-shirt somewhere down the line. :~)

                  Here is what a moderator does:

                  http://ourmedia.org/help/moderators

                  We're having an IRC chat at 3 pm ET tomorrow (Wednesday) to discuss
                  moderator duties on IRC freenode (#ourmedia), if you'd like to join
                  us.

                  jd lasica
                  co-founder, Ourmedia.org
                • Christopher Weagel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 22, 2005
                    Concerns:

                    1) I downloaded the Publishing tool for mac. Clicking on it, it won't
                    even launch, it just immediately crashes.

                    2) I already have files stored on the internet archive, how do I get
                    them to appear at Our Media?

                    3) Is there any way that the layout of the sections can cleaned up? The
                    list on the videoblog section is a mess, and I can't find a page that
                    lists all of the videos in the videoblog section. I just get reverse
                    chronological order of recent posts, I think. What am I missing?

                    Chris Weagel
                    www.human-dog.com

                    On Mar 23, 2005, at 1:41 AM, JD Lasica wrote:

                    > Hi folks,
                    >
                    > A couple of people have mentioned Ourmedia in passing the past day or
                    > two.
                    >
                    > Just a quick note here to say that:
                    >
                    > - Ourmedia.org is now officially open for business. We had a rough day
                    > yesterday and this morning because of a too-small server, but this
                    > afternoon we underwent a server upgrade and it's looking pretty good
                    > right now.
                    >
                    > You'll see several familar videoblog vids on our home page, with more
                    > to come.
                    >
                    > Still some kinks to be worked out with uploading, but we've been
                    > getting lots of good vibes and great buzz -- oh, and we signed  up
                    > 2,000 members in two days.
                    >
                    > - Also: *We need moderators!!* We already have several members of the
                    > videoblogging list (Jay, Ryan, Raymond, Michael) who have volunteered
                    > to serve as moderators. But we weren't prepared for the immediate
                    > large influx of members.
                    >
                    > So if any of you have any time at all during the week or on weekends
                    > to spare, let us know. No pay, but you'll have our undying gratitude,
                    > we'll add your name to our staff list, give you admin privileges, and
                    > perhaps throw in a swanky T-shirt somewhere down the line. :~)
                    >
                    > Here is what a moderator does:
                    >
                    > http://ourmedia.org/help/moderators
                    >
                    > We're having an IRC chat at 3 pm ET tomorrow (Wednesday) to discuss
                    > moderator duties on IRC freenode (#ourmedia), if you'd like to join
                    > us.
                    >
                    > jd lasica
                    > co-founder, Ourmedia.org
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
                    > <l.gif>

                    > Service.

                  • JD Lasica
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                      Hi Chris,

                      I don't want to clutter up the videoblogging list with Ourmedia bug
                      reports, so I've posted your report to our bugs page (where we can
                      address them) and answered you there. :~)

                      http://ourmedia.org/node/1093

                      Thanks for checking us out!!!

                      jd

                    • phr33k

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                          > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

                          Let us count the ways:

                          1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
                          Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
                          tape recorder or camera.

                          2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
                          a very user-friendly experience for people.

                          3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
                          Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
                          copyrighted works.

                          4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
                          about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
                          process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

                          5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
                          new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
                          ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
                          that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
                          recirculate.

                          Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
                          Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

                          There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
                          Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
                          their already glorious holdings.

                          jd

                          On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

                          > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
                          > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
                          > Ciao Zac

                        • phr33k
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                            Thanks for the Explanation  JD Lasica, NOW I understand & I LIKE!

                            Zac
                            > how is it different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?

                            Let us count the ways:

                            1) The Internet Archive remains geared toward scholars and historians.
                            Ourmedia is geared toward anyone who has ever picked up a camcorder,
                            tape recorder or camera.

                            2) The Internet Archive's UI isn't very friendly. We're out to create
                            a very user-friendly experience for people.

                            3) The Internet Archive only allows public domain and Creative
                            Commons-licensed works. Ourmedia allows those as well as fully
                            copyrighted works.

                            4) The Internet Archive is about storage and preservation. Ourmedia is
                            about storage, preservation, community, and learning. We're in the
                            process of creating tutorials, best practices and learning centers.

                            5) The Archive is a fairly static experience. Ourmedia has completely
                            new content on the front page every week, free member blogs, and new
                            ways to slice and dice content: we hope to soon have a search engine
                            that lets you seek out content that you can legally remix and
                            recirculate.

                            Understand that all media on Ourmedia is stored on the Internet
                            Archive's servers, and everything else is on Bryght's servers.

                            There's more, but it's 2 am and I'm bushed. Suffice to say that the
                            Archive folks are thrilled that Ourmedia is adding a new dimension to
                            their already glorious holdings.

                            jd

                            On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:54:22 +1200, phr33k <phr33k@...> wrote:

                            > Ourmedia.org is cool & I signed up, what I want to know is how is it
                            > different than just belonging to the Internet Archive?
                            > Ciao Zac

                          • Andy Carvin
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 23, 2005
                              I'm having some problems w/ the publishing tool on my Mac as well. I
                              managed to post one small file with it, but larger files have crashed
                              the software. In one case, the software refused to quit, even with a
                              force quit attempt, so I had to reboot the computer. Still very
                              promising, though....

                              ac