Vlomo 2011 aka National Videoblogging Posting Month

  • compumavengal
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011
      You either talk about it or do it. I am setting up a Tumblr page for those that want to take up the challenge. Trying to figure out the best way to explain it to newbies or those that stumble in.

      Now here is what I am willing to do:

      Check this list once or twice a day (Pacific Time) for those that post links to their blogs or videos.

      Add a link or a copy of the video to the blog.

      I'm not sure if we should do a Twitter hashtag, the spammers will latch on to it. I don't have the hours to filter out video info from the load of crap that can descend on the tag.

      Please keep in mind that I have a day job that does not allow me to use the Internet for anything but work. They ain't kidding. This will be a before work/after work/sleep kinda thing for me.

      Also, I'm going to BlogWorld Los Angeles so for sure it will be slow on those two or three days.

      What I need to know from the participants:

      What statement would you like on the Tumblr page?
      Do you just want me to link or to show the video?
      Other ideas and suggestions.
    • ktcopsey@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011
        In a message dated 10/30/2011 10:59:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        compumavengal@... writes:

        You either talk about it or do it. I am setting up a Tumblr page for those
        that want to take up the challenge. Trying to figure out the best way to
        explain it to newbies or those that stumble in.

        Now here is what I am willing to do:

        Check this list once or twice a day (Pacific Time) for those that post
        links to their blogs or videos.

        Add a link or a copy of the video to the blog.

        I think last yr there were people posting to the yahoo group and some
        posting to twitter - -#vlomo11 - is up and running, but maybe will be corrupt
        before long.
        Are you suggesting that you do a generic tumblr page that we all use, or
        just link our own pages to it? I have not used tumbr so not quite sure how
        it works.
        I do like the idea of everyone having a group place.
        It also helps to label the videos with vlomo day X as well.
        As to a statement - keep it simple - what we are doing, and basic rules
        for those who want to jump in late.

        Have fun at the blogworld.
        Thanks for setting this up
        Kate

        I'm not sure if we should do a Twitter hashtag, the spammers will latch on
        to it. I don't have the hours to filter out video info from the load of
        crap that can descend on the tag.

        Please keep in mind that I have a day job that does not allow me to use
        the Internet for anything but work. They ain't kidding. This will be a before
        work/after work/sleep kinda thing for me.

        Also, I'm going to BlogWorld Los Angeles so for sure it will be slow on
        those two or three days.

        What I need to know from the participants:

        What statement would you like on the Tumblr page?
        Do you just want me to link or to show the video?
        Other ideas and suggestions.

        _Kate Copsey
        Freelance garden writer
        www.katecopsey.com
        Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
        on :www.americaswebradio.com

        Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
        Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
        Linked in :Kate Copsey
        Twitter: katycopsey _._,_.___

        _Reply to sender_
        (mailto:compumavengal@...?subject=Re:%20Vlomo%202011%20aka%20National%20Videoblogging%20Posting%20Month) | _Reply to
        group_
        (mailto:videoblogging@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20Vlomo%202011%20aka%20National%20Videoblogging%20Posting%20Month) | _Reply via web post_
        NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODA1NjY2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTU1NDAyMQRtc2dJZAM3OTIyOQRzZWMDZnRy
        BHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzMTk5ODY3ODk-?act=reply&messageNum=79229) | _Start
        a New Topic_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/videoblogging/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmN2dvZHFxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODA1NjY2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTU1NDAyMQRzZWMD
        ZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMTk5ODY3ODk-)
        _Messages in this topic_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/videoblogging/message/79229;_ylc=X3oDMTM3N29ndDJqBF9
        TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODA1NjY2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTU1NDAyMQRtc2dJZAM3OTIyOQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMTk5ODY3OD
        kEdHBjSWQDNzkyMjk-) (1)
        Recent Activity:

        _Visit Your Group_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/videoblogging;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbmo0a3IzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODA1NjY2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTU1NDAyMQRzZW
        MDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzMTk5ODY3ODk-)

        MARKETPLACE

        _Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on -
        Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now._
        (http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15otik4p7/M=493064.14543979.14562481.13298430/D=groups/S=1705554021:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=131999
        3990/L=d0c44a9c-0307-11e1-948f-67130db44bd8/B=24svCkoGYvk-/J=131998679003673
        7/K=m_XP8naaMrNrmdaEnGarmA/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.ya
        hoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj)

        OQ--)
        Switch to: _Text-Only_
        (mailto:videoblogging-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional) , _Daily Digest_
        (mailto:videoblogging-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest) •
        • _Terms of Use_ (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/)

        .

      • compumavengal
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
          It really is International. I fixed it on the blog. The way it was done in the past is that folks post the video on their blogs and then place a link on the Yahoo Groups page. Twitter works as well, so long as I can find the Vlomo2011 videos. I'm going to use the #vlomo2011 hashtag for Twitter.

          I think it would be a good idea for people outside the group that don't know about the different types of videoblogging to have a blog page that they can go to.

          It would also make it a little easier to keep track of the various videos that might be produced in the month.

          I don't know how many people it will be, last year folks started out strong and then life happened to a bunch of people at the same time. If it is a few folks I can get the links and videos up. If 40 or more want in then it might be just the video of the day and then links to other folks.

          Not sure how that is going to work if a lot of people decide to do this.

          Keep it simple means to me that if I get too ambitious I get swamped and nothing gets done. Video creation can be a time suck.

          Like our inspirations at NaNoWriMo, you break it down to what you can do in a day.

          Creating a five minute a day video is fine if you have the time. It is so okay to make a simple one to three minute video, however you define making a video.

          Pace yourselves. Be kind. It is a marathon not a sprint.

          Gena
          http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
          http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, ktcopsey@... wrote:

> [...]
          > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/videoblogging/message/79229;_ylc=X3oDMTM3N29ndDJqBF9
          > TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODA1NjY2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTU1NDAyMQRtc2dJZAM3OTIyOQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMTk5ODY3OD
          > kEdHBjSWQDNzkyMjk-) (1)
          > Recent Activity:
          >
          > _Visit Your Group_
          > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/videoblogging;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbmo0a3IzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODA1NjY2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTU1NDAyMQRzZW
          > MDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzMTk5ODY3ODk-)
          >

          > MARKETPLACE
          >

          > _Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on -
          > Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now._
          > (http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15otik4p7/M=493064.14543979.14562481.13298430/D=groups/S=1705554021:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=131999
          > 3990/L=d0c44a9c-0307-11e1-948f-67130db44bd8/B=24svCkoGYvk-/J=131998679003673

        • ruhowe
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
            Each year people tend to invent some themes or rules of some kind that they can follow individually or together.

            This year I'm going to try doing just 30 seconds every day.

            30/30/30 - 30 days / 30 seconds / 30 frames per second!

            Of course the only real rule of Vlomo is to post one video per day every day in November.
            That's all you have to do.
            Easy.

            Let's rock!

            Rupert
            http://twittervlog.tv
          • ktcopsey@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
              I should try that - my 2 min 40 secs had taken over an hour to shoot, edit
              and upload!

              Kate Copsey
              Freelance garden writer
              www.katecopsey.com
              Host: America's Home Grown Veggie Show
              on :www.americaswebradio.com

              Blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com_ (http://www.katesgardenjournal.com/)
              Connect on Facebook: Katecopsey
              Linked in :Kate Copsey
              Twitter: katycopsey

              In a message dated 11/1/2011 12:40:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              rupert@... writes:

              This year I'm going to try doing just 30 seconds every day.

              30/30/30 - 30 days / 30 seconds / 30 frames per second!

            • mikemoon_ca
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
                Hey Rupert.
                Glad to see you playing again.
                I'm still snickering ... your first 30 second video, umm was 1:22. That's almost 3 days worth. :)

                Good luck my friend.

                Mike
                http://MikeMoon.ca

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "ruhowe" <rupert@...> wrote:

                > Each year people tend to invent some themes or rules of some kind that they can follow individually or together.
                >
                > This year I'm going to try doing just 30 seconds every day.
                >
                > 30/30/30 - 30 days / 30 seconds / 30 frames per second!
                >
                > Of course the only real rule of Vlomo is to post one video per day every day in November.
                > That's all you have to do.
                > Easy.
                >
                > Let's rock!
                >
                > Rupert
                > http://twittervlog.tv

              • Adam Mercado
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2011
                  I wasnt going to play this year, I did every day for the first time
                  last year and was happy to meet that challenge. I think I averaged
                  about 5 views per video which is a pathetic reward for such an amount
                  of work. I think the trouble with Vlomo is that everyone is swamped
                  with hundreds of videos from everyone playing along that the same old
                  faithful year in year out get a look. The market for new material is
                  saturated during November. I know I have a hard time keeping up with
                  all but 4-5 producers and if I stumble across a new name to try I
                  dont always keep up with them.

                  But hey ho, its November and the call to the challenge has me digging
                  out my Zi8 again

                  time to play
                • Brook Hinton
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 6, 2011
                    Hello Good Humans of the Yahoo Videoblogging Group.
                    I am vlomo-ing, or doing my best to this year.
                    I don't know that I'll be able to post links to individual videos here as
                    I'm barely getting the stuff up to begin with, but will do my best.
                    The vlomo videos are invisible on my regular site - you can only see them
                    on this page:

                    http://brookhinton.com/wordpress/?cat=21

                    As you'll see if you bother to follow the link, I'm already behind.
                    Links and forwards and reposts and comments are welcome, but on my end I'm
                    not really promoting it beyond a few friends and other vlomo-ers this year,
                    as I'm taking a more low key approach to the work than I usually do.
                    Will try to participate in the group as much as possible - it's just an
                    unbelievably heavy work month.

                    Go Vlomo, and glad to see folks still doing it.

                    Brook Hinton

                    --
                    ____________________________
                    Brook Hinton

                    Associate Professor / Assistant Chair
                    Film Program at CCA
                    California College of the Arts
                    www.cca.edu/film

                  • compumavengal
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 7, 2011
                      I have linked to two of the video, I can't embed from Posterious but I do point folks over to take a look.

                      I'm trying to get as many folks in the gallery as possible.

                      Thanks,

                      Gena